It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Uk military cuts of 9billion,but upped overseas aid to the cost of 8.7billion????

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 02:42 AM
link   
Yesterday I started a thread on how the uk gov is giving away millions to overseas projects and today the sun reveals the latest in our gov putting our own economic issues aside to help others,I mean I'm all for helping where halo is really needed but when your not in the position to help then there nothing you can do.That is unless your the uk gov and you decide to cut 9billion from your own defences which results in 100s of people losing there jobs,I'm no fan of war but I'd rather have great defences and enough military personnel to protect the country especially at times like this what with many people talking about ww3 than give aid to other countries.
What we going to do if a big war does break out ask the countries poor enough to warrant aid to come and help us.PRIORITIES mr Cameron.

Wanted to add link but my 3G sooo slow.

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 02:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Uncertain1

So how much is still being spent on the defence forces after the cut ? that to me is the real question..
if they are cutting 9 billion and still spending like 60 billion, then its not as bad as it sounds..
I see where your coming from, but someones got to take the plunge to stop war, make the first steps..
If you help people instead of fight with them you end up with allies, not a group of people who want to over throw you at a later date, because you messed up their country by getting involved in a war..
EDIT
so heres an article that helps a bit
www.rusi.org/analysis/commentary/ref:C4C233A1FC3171/
as you can see after the cuts over the next few years they still would be spending 190 billion on defence....
not your average amount of pocket change is it..

edit on 18-5-2011 by sprocket2cog because: added link and footnote

edit on 18-5-2011 by sprocket2cog because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 03:00 AM
link   
reply to post by sprocket2cog

Great point about the 60billion didn't think of it like that,and I'm all for helping people who really need it but we all know that the money we aid is not just going to be used to help these people,the top men will take there cut first.If I was in a position to give aid I'm talking bill gates aid I would rather build them houses and schools etc.
Evan taking into consideration what you said about still got a budget of 60billion there's still a lot of people who will lose there jobs in these cuts why not still give aid but cut that down a bit instead.
edit on 18-5-2011 by Uncertain1 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 03:01 AM
link   
It is staggering that we are giving £280M to India. One of the worlds greatest emerging economies.
It is also staggering that we are planning to give Pakistan, annually, £650m.
There were other Nations on that list which caught my eye, like Somalia. They have no government? Where is that money going to go....Pirates?
Uganda?

This money should be going on our defence budget and also to charities like help for heroes who support soldiers and pay for operations, etc.

I am disqusted.

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 03:06 AM
link   

I agree the system isnt perfect, but at some stage we must pull together and stop bombing the proverbial out of each other...
at the moment the world seems to want to spend money on weapons and army's to fight wars over oil.. next it will be water.
i just hope theres something left after the smoke clears.

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 03:09 AM
link   

The problem is though if you lay down your arms you are a weak target. I don't see China/Russia/Pakistan/Iran or any other countries laying down theirs so why should we?

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 03:12 AM
link   
reply to post by LondonerBLV

The way our government is going you would think we were in an economic boom not a recession.Why not set up companies to take this aid money to these countries and let them use it where they think it is really needed employ people from Britain that way you give aid and you generate jobs and you know that the money you give is going to a good cause.

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 03:18 AM
link   
reply to post by LondonerBLV

Sorry but how many guns is enough, we had this problem in the cold war.. lets just keeping going , you get bombs, they get more, so you get more..and the cycle continues...
Im not saying leave yourself defenceless.. am i ?
just that you can divert some money away from milliary spending and still be covered..
and the offset as i mentioned is you dont create more dissidents in the process, you make friends.

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 03:19 AM
link   

Obviously in an ideal world war wouldn't Evan be a word but it is and Britain is a small island compared to the big countries of power yet our special forces are second to none and our military as small as it is,is respected by many without it we are weak.

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 03:19 AM
link   

Obviously in an ideal world war wouldn't Evan be a word but it is and Britain is a small island compared to the big countries of power yet our special forces are second to none and our military as small as it is,is respected by many without it we are weak.

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 03:23 AM
link   

I do understand your po9int, As an Australian we have a very respected "defence" force. and our special forces are second to none as you know..
its not large as other forces, yet we have a very large area to defend.
but weakness or strength isnt about guns.. its about how you treat people.
thats the point i make.
respect is earned, not gained, so if you kill someone to control them you make their sons hate you and so on.
its written all over history. many a wise man has debated this.
peace.

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 03:39 AM
link   

You make it hard for me to have a debate with you over this as you have great points and it seems you have given this a lot of thought.I'm looking at it as alls we here is how bad the economy is and yet we give billions away.Maybe I should look further than what I stated and see if it changes the way I feel about this issue.

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 03:51 AM
link   

Thank you, my points arent to make you not debate me
i just want you to look at it in a different way.
The problems we face are huge and a bit of a worry sometimes and its all too easy to focus on just one aspect of it, but the hardest part is to try to see the bigger picture, whch i dont pretend to fully understand, im still learning as we go

new topics

top topics

join