It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do not read if you haven't seen the village...contains spoilers.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 3 2004 @ 12:43 AM
link   
I think that the ending of the movie, The Village can be summed up in one short phrase. Here it is: "What the f--". You can fill in the blank. I swear...it's almost like (pretend that this was filmed in sequential order for a minute) shyamalan decided he needed to go on vacation, and told his staff, "Ok, I'm going on vacation for a couple of weeks...don't touch anything, ok?" When he got back...this is what was out. Horrible. I mean I thought it was a good movie...until the ending when I realized it was quite possibly the worst ending I've ever seen. So many things were wrong with this ending it made me thank God that I got in free (I work at the movie theatre). I couldn't believe it; they even gave him a chance to fix it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! After Ivy's father had told her that the monsters were fake, and she was in the woods having the face off with the, "Monster" which was really just Noah who somehow, even though he was retarded, managed to get that costume on, claw through the wood in the floor, and somehow track her down even though she'd been traveling the whole day, they could have at least made it so that the monsters really were real, and the elders of the town were wrong. And what was the significance of pretending that it was in the 1800's? Because they wanted them to know that technology wasn't invented yet? But..if they didn't even KNOW of technology...it doesn't matter what date it is!!! This world is all they've ever known...who cares if they knew it was the 21st century. Good god...

[Edited on 3-8-2004 by Herman]

posted on Aug, 3 2004 @ 12:47 AM
link   
Umm...you may wanna read the title of your thread over again.

posted on Aug, 3 2004 @ 01:15 AM
link   
Thanks. That was incredibly stupid of me. I hope I didn't ruin it for anyone.

posted on Aug, 3 2004 @ 08:27 AM
link   
I have to agree. The ending angered me to no end. I felt cheated. I was at least hoping for Native Americans or... something. but NOOOOO, we get this lame "twist". I guess I was suppsed to feel good about it but I couldn't see anything good about the whole uhh "village" their intentions where noble, but it was created on a camplete lie wich in my mind makes every good thing about it null and void. AND I've never seen such abuse of a blind girl in my life. Jesus, send the blind girl so she can't see what's really going on. Lame.

posted on Aug, 3 2004 @ 09:01 AM
link   
You guys went into it expecting some kind of thriller horror movie. I did too, I was a bit let down by the outcome of the plot. But after thinking about it more and more, I like it more and more.

It's got a deeper meaning other than having scary monsters in the woods. It asks the question whether or not its good to "experiment" on humans like that. It also draws parallels between the village with elders scaring people into not leaving and the USA with people saying Bush is using terrorism to scare us into following him (not something I subscribe to, but its out there nonetheless). The basic plot wasn't a horror movie, it was actually a love story.

There's a lot more to it than scary monsters in the woods. I'll admit its not his best work, but it's not a bad movie. Some very good cinematography and sound work, a few very freaky images, and a deeper meaning behind what you see, all make it a good movie.

posted on Aug, 3 2004 @ 11:02 AM
link   
I'm sorry, but I don't think the ending was deep at all. The mentally ill guy somehow escaped, grabbed a suit, and found her in all those miles of forest? Then for some reason she couldn't see his color. Then he just starts chasing her down???? Shouldn't he have been making noises like he usually does? And how did he make all those growling noises? So he falls in a pit and dies... What's the lesson there? And yes, I was expecting a horror movie, because that's how the advertised it.

As far as the part about the town goes, it wasn't a suprise at all to me...I mean the thing where their family died and THEN they made the village was a suprise. I thought maybe it was just some Omish town haha. I didn't catch the date on the gravestone at the beginning, so there was nothing stopping me from thinking that they had just secluded themselves from the rest of the world, like omish (sp?) people. By the way, what was the significance of making them think it was the 1800's? If they never knew that technology existed...then who cares if they knew the date?

posted on Aug, 12 2004 @ 12:28 PM
link   
I guess I may be a wierdo, but I got something totally different out of the movie. To me , it wasn't about the monsters..it was a lesson on life, mankind, evil, society..etc.

Here's my .02

Did you notice the picture at the end? Did you notice that when all the elders were in the picture together, what they were standing in front of? Their THERAPY clinic. They (it seems to me, .02 again) decided to segregate themselves from the rest of the world, shut out all the evil, (because they blamed the current society for the people that killed their family members, over money..etc), and had it made up in their minds, that there would be no evil, no murder, etc..if they shut themselves off from the world...but the monsters they made up weren't really the monsters, they were referring to the people in the real world....but society and big monsters were really one in the same.....but the lesson i got out of it was, no matter how you shut off from things, there are still going to be murder etc...over things you cant control (i.e. the handicapped guy)...and also, it was a lesson that your own lies will haunt you in the night, and that you will have to take responsibility for them eventually....(the handicapped guy was their kid, no one watched him..etc...the suits THEY made)

now , thats just my opinion...but thats what I got from it......
comments welcome.

posted on Aug, 12 2004 @ 02:17 PM
link   
You know how every M. Night Shamalayan movie has a twist in it.

The twist in this one is that it totally sucks.

posted on Aug, 13 2004 @ 12:39 AM
link   
Okay, this was the best movie I've seen this year. It was different, and that's what I liked about it. I do not like going to the theatre knowing what is going to happen, and this movie's ending took me by surprise. That is what makes it so good. So be ticked off that you didn't know what would be on the other side of that concrete wall when she was climbing over. Get upset that M. Night fooled you and made a movie that the watcher couldn't predict.

If you want to get upset because it wasn't what you expected, then go ahead. It wasn't what I expected, and that's why I loved it. Great movie in my opinion.

Nobody mentioned that his name was Walker (as well as the blind girl), as well as the name of the Wildlife Preserve that they were in was Walker.

This movie rocked, and for the same reasons that y'all (majority, not all) say that it sucked. It had messages, and yes you can be hurt from seclusion. The term is "Amish" and they did not shut themselves off from the world. They chose not to go along with the technological boom, and the "civilized" world has patronized (in terms of belittling) them for it. This movie made me think, so if you are against thinking and against denying the ignorance of this world then shun the film (intended pun on the Amish term).

M. Night has a winner with The Village

posted on Aug, 13 2004 @ 03:09 PM
link   
I liked it. I liked it being different, not what I expected. I didn't, however, like the way they did it. I wanted mosters...a scary movie. After thinking about it for a while, I don't think it sucked but I do think it was really disappointing.

join