It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

It's ours! Denmark plans to lay claim to North Pole as melting ice opens up oil opportunities Read

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 01:01 PM
link   
reply to post by spacedonk

On a serious note, in my opinion all the resources therein should be administered by a global council of nations and the proceeds used as a global emergency fund for people and countries who need aid, it would remove the burden of foreign aid from individual nations and could be a fighting fund for disasters and even if we could get real altruism going to support people in Africa with irrigation, clean drinking water and micro business loans to help increase the standard of living. I don't hold much hope for the countries with vested interests being so sensible however!

Ha! No chance of that happening.

Every penny in profit will belong to the corporations and they usually make sure they keep the lot all to themselves.

It's like asking a spoilt fat kid for a piece of his chocolate bar - he won't share.

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 01:59 PM
link   
reply to post by doobydoll

so sadly true!

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 02:00 PM
link   
It's ours!! (Canada)

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 02:04 PM
link   

I also found that sentence strange, but this is how I interpreted it. The eight countries have formed the Artic council to secure the resources in the Artic, and also to control who is able to use the shipping lanes. The national security issue will be who has access to the new shipping lanes and the energy resources. The first step is to work together doing search and rescue, and after that they will negotiate subsurface rights.

Maybe the Artic council is going to make sure that no other countries have access to those resources. You may hear talk about sustainable developement and climate change, but this is about profits. They have been planning this for many years.

The Arctic Council The Arctic Council, established in 1996, has marked its 10-year anniversary. It is a high level intergovernmental forum for sustainable development, mandated to address all three of its main pillars: the environmental, social and economic. Its Member States are: Canada, Denmark (including Greenland and the Faroe Islands), Finland, Iceland, Norway, the Russian Federation, Sweden and the United States. The Council is a unique forum for the cooperation between national governments and indigenous peoples. Six organizations representing many Arctic indigenous communities have the status of Permanent Participants of the Arctic Council and are involved in the work of the Council in full consultation with governments. The work of the Arctic Council gains a global scale thanks to the wide range of observers -from non-arctic states and intergovernmental organizations to NGO's.

The creation of an international Arctic energy action team charged with developing a roadmap for the enhancement of extractive energy recovery in the Arctic and the deployment of economical and environmentally sensitive energy sources to rural Arctic communities.

Artic Energy Summit

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 02:42 PM
link   
reply to post by PacificBlue

Taken in that context it makes sense to read it that way.

It was the reference to taking the ''model' and applying it to National Security, it never occurred to me for one minute that national security references the Arctic
Slow day for the brain. I hope you are correct in the intended sentiment.

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 03:58 PM
link   

I can see why when someone hears America and national security in the same paragraph, one does not have a vision of eight countries working with indigenous people to secure resources.
It will be interesting to see what happens in the future.

My first thought was that hopefully we will not be seeing pictures of baby seals or polar bears covered in oil.
edit on 18-5-2011 by PacificBlue because: grammar

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 04:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by bsbray11

Originally posted by spacedonk
Wouldn't it be ironic if the North Pole caused WWIII.

Ironic because that's where the Germans who started WWII went?

I mean who knows, there was just another news thread talking about an artificial structure under the ice being found by spy satellites. I don't believe in coincidences.

That's the Antartic, not the Arctic.

There will be a rush for that too in a decade or so when the treaty banning mineral exploration expires though.

Basically, all these claims in either region rest on the continetal shelf extension from their maritime border. This means alot of countries now have overlapping claims to sea floor rights and this will cause friction in coming years when more of our resources will come from the Ocean.

Interesting times..

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 04:15 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

Interesting thread - What do the Eskimo's think. Do they think that they are Danish? - They are the people who have the most right to the riches of the North Pole.
Not the Danish or the Russians or Norwegians.
What of the Saomi Tribes have they no voice?
In my opinion it sounds like history is repeating itself, like the Red Indians of America and the Aboriginal Peoples of Australia ripped off and forgotten about.

The Powers that be dish up the pie,leave the indiginous people ignored. Does this sound familiar?

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 09:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by sprocket2cog

Originally posted by atsmem1980
reply to post by sprocket2cog

wat do u think santa will do man...

A lot more then you can imagine...

u r right .. i don't hav to tho..cause santa is the man

but i luv wat u did with 'than' as 'then'

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 03:07 PM
link   
Those moaning about global warming must realise for the North Pole to have oil, it must have for millions of years been covered in huge forests and plants for there to be oil in the first place.

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 04:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by sprocket2cog

wat do u think santa will do man...

A lot more then you can imagine...

u r right .. i don't hav to tho..cause santa is the man

but i luv wat u did with 'than' as 'then'

what can i say, you got me...
"apologies if i made mistakes"

but i do "love" it "though" what you did with tho and luv...

edit on 19-5-2011 by sprocket2cog because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 04:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by druid1
reply to post by SLAYER69

Interesting thread - What do the Eskimo's think. Do they think that they are Danish? - They are the people who have the most right to the riches of the North Pole.
Not the Danish or the Russians or Norwegians.
What of the Saomi Tribes have they no voice?
In my opinion it sounds like history is repeating itself, like the Red Indians of America and the Aboriginal Peoples of Australia ripped off and forgotten about.

The Powers that be dish up the pie,leave the indiginous people ignored. Does this sound familiar?

It's called subtle racism.

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 04:37 PM
link   
There is no land under the north pole (unless you count the ocean floor). If/when the ice melts, then what we are left with is open waters that would clearly be considered international waters; thus, no one can claim it. Perhaps they could drill it, but they can't claim it as theirs.

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 06:25 PM
link   
Drill it,claim it...whatever....if we cant have it,because of Mr O and his masters,at least someone in the world gets the oil that we all need....let it be

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 06:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aggie Man
There is no land under the north pole (unless you count the ocean floor). If/when the ice melts, then what we are left with is open waters that would clearly be considered international waters; thus, no one can claim it. Perhaps they could drill it, but they can't claim it as theirs.

Actually, they can by virtue of the extension of their boundaries via the continental shelf.

I'd recommend brushing up on this topic..

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 08:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69
Besides. This could actually be a boom for the Inuits. They will be on the front line of a potential economic bonanza. Plenty of jobs could be had in the potential industries or support facilities etc. That will come from exploration and exploitation of the area.

Are you serious?

I don't think that's what the Inuit want. In fact, I'm 100% positive that the Inuit would rather live their lives without outsiders coming in and ravaging the land. They already suffer from the effects of overfishing and global warming; I don't think they need oil and mineral companies moving in and telling them how to live.

spacedonk-
On a serious note, in my opinion all the resources therein should be administered by a global council of nations

In my opinion, these newly opened lands should be constituted as a whole new country. It should be populated by anyone willing to get away from their own failed states. A population of the willing, I say.

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 01:10 AM
link   

ohh thanks man

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 05:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dimitri Dzengalshlevi

In my opinion, these newly opened lands should be constituted as a whole new country. It should be populated by anyone willing to get away from their own failed states. A population of the willing, I say.

Great idea.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join