It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Death of Bin Laden Makes Mexico Drug Baron World’s Most Wanted

page: 1.

join
share:

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 10:47 PM
link   
From the article:

Last updated at 8:03 PM on 17th May 2011

He is the top dog in Mexico's bloody drug war, presiding over a $1billion drug empire and acused of firing the first shot in a bloody cartel war that has so far killed 38,000 people.

And now, aside from a personal fortune to rival Bill Gates and Warren Buffet, Joaquin Guzman Loera has a new reason to boast - he is the world's most wanted man.

Well I guess congratulations are in order to Senor Loera, also known as "el chapo" for being the the world's most wanted man. You have worked hard to get there and now you are on top....."you da man"........end sarcasm

and deeper into the article:

One of the most chilling incidents was in 2009 , when an Archbishop in the state of Durango said that the fugitive was 'living nearby and everyone knows it except the authorities, who just don't happen to see him for some reason.'

Days later two undercover military officers were shot dead in their car, their bodies left with a note that read: 'You'll never get 'El Chapo', not the priests, not the government.'

Now El Chapo is said to have infiltrated the highest level of Mexico's government as President Felipe Calderon fights to keep control of his country amid claims that it is drug lords such as El Chapo who are really in charge.

Read more: www.dailymail.co.uk...

edit on 5/17/2011 by manta78 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 10:55 PM
link   
So the Coalition of the Willing will be going to war with Mexico and strip bombing it for the next decade? Seems to be the procedure for hunting the worlds most wanted. Lets attack Cuba while we're there, we didnt quite finish with them last time we had a touch up there. And of course when El Chapo is found, kill him and drop him off in the ocean on the way home. *rolls eyes*

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 10:57 PM
link   
Right ... huzzah is in order I suppose. Yes America is coming for you damn Mexicans ... oops, I mean El Chapo.

I think its great the U.S. is now going after this guy but ... what do you do about the Cartel culture which is already rampant and embedded in Mexico?

edit on 17-5-2011 by anon102 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 11:03 PM
link   
I think "el chapo" must have been good at the game of hide and go seek growing up as a kid; especially the hiding part:

Despite a $5 million (£3.3 million) bounty offered by the United States and another $2 million by Mexico, El Chapo — or Shorty — has given agents from both sides of the border the slip for nine years, since his escape in a laundry basket from the maximum-security Puente Grande jail.

Source: timesonline.co.uk...

edit on 5/17/2011 by manta78 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 11:11 PM
link   
So, the excuse is served. And saying that he is in charge only adds "credibility" to the "need" to intervene the country. Wouldn´t surprise me that suddenly el chapo "decides" to perpetrate a terrorist attack in US.
By he way, do you know that Mexico also have a lot of oil?

I really hope that you people don´t buy that crap. And never forget that mexican drug cartels, as bad as they are, are only the trampolin to the pool. The pool is the US, and the water, are the US consumers.

to make a pool cleaner and safer, do you just remove the trampolin?

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 11:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by anon102
Right ... huzzah is in order I suppose. Yes America is coming for you damn Mexicans ... oops, I mean El Chapo.

I think its great the U.S. is now going after this guy but ... what do you do about the Cartel culture which is already rampant and embedded in Mexico?

I´m sorry, but despite of what youir goverment or your stereotypes tells you, there is not a "cartel culture" in Mexico. There are, unfortunately, cartels that are criminal groups in some parts of the country, but it is not a part of the culture. Mexican culture is a culture of peace. Those m%··&/rs are disrupting it, not becoming the culture.

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 12:55 AM
link   
Another interesting article today about the hunt for "el chapo" in Reuters:

Analysis: Clock Ticks on Calderon's Hunt for Drug Lord
MEXICO CITY | Tue May 17, 2011 3:24pm EDT

And a few excerpts from the article:

(Reuters) - With time running out to win a drugs war that has cost nearly 40,000 lives, only the scalp of Mexico's biggest kingpin can give President Felipe Calderon the symbolic victory his party desperately needs.

"It would be a real coup for Calderon, much like the Osama bin Laden takedown was for Obama," Grayson said.

Michael Braun of security consultancy Spectre Group International, former chief of global operations for the U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA), says he is sure that Guzman's time is almost up.

"They will absolutely nail him in the not-too-distant future. I know personally that Mexican authorities have been so close on a number of occasions. I'm surprised they didn't have him 6-8 months ago," he said. "They were a hair away."

Read more at the source here: www.reuters.com...

new topics

top topics

join