It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

HUGE 198 year old Bible I bought w/ pics!

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 10:22 AM
link   
Thanks everyone!

Originally posted by JoshNorton

Originally posted by CanadianDream420
Lots of artwork and old buildings and WWII memorbialia has been photographed and uploaded to ATS to view....
I don't recall major "points" to their threads?...
Well if you post it in the "Conspiracies in Religion" forum, one might expect, oh, I don't know, some sort of conspiracy angle? If there's not one, you should probably ask a mod to move the thread to somewhere more appropriate. *shrug*

I didn't really know which forum to place it in?... Maybe Skunk Works?

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 10:28 AM
link   
How much did you pay for that? Do you plan to read the hole thing? And, are you sure it's really 198 years old? It looks kinda newish to me.

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 10:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by Rockdisjoint
How much did you pay for that? Do you plan to read the hole thing? And, are you sure it's really 198 years old? It looks kinda newish to me.

200$

I'd prefer not too; pages are very old.

It says 1813 within the first page. I'll get a better photo after work

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 12:46 PM
link   
reply to post by CanadianDream420

$200 Canadian....hmmmm ...about (aboot) $205 USD.

I'd e-Bay that sucker, tout suite! Maybe.....$350 CAD? (See how it might bid up...) Dunno.....

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 02:07 PM
link   
reply to post by troubleshooter

None says the rapture,it comes from a Greek word.With 1 Thessalonians 4:16-18 giving us such a clear description of the rapture.
Logic runs very thin because a huge number of words don't appear in the Bible, including the word “Bible.” Because God's Word was originally written in Hebrew and Greek, one could truthfully say that no English words are found in the Bible. Let's take a look at 1 Thessalonians 4:16-18 in the original Greek.Here it is Greek,
4:16 oti autos o kurios en keleusmati en fwnh arcaggelou kai en salpiggi qeou katabhsetai ap ouranou kai oi nekroi en cristw anasthsontai prwton 4:17 epeita hmeis oi zwntes oi perileipomenoi ama sun autois arpaghsomeqa en nefelais eis apanthsin tou kuriou eis aera kai outws pantote sun kuriw esomeqa 4:18 wste parakaleite allhlous en tois logois toutois.

Now,to my understanding it ,rapture” comes from the Latin word rapturo, which is a translation of the Greek verb "caught up" that’s found in 1 Thessalonians 4:17. You can call it the “pre-trib rapture,” the “pre-trib rapturo,” or the “pre-trib caught up” - it's all the same thing,as far as I,can tell.

I,hope this helps out for you all...........

Greek The Koine Greek text uses the verb form ἁρπαγησόμεθα [harpagēsometha], which means "we shall be caught up", "taken away", with the connotation that this is a sudden event. The dictionary form of this Greek verb is harpazō (ἁρπάζω).[6] Latin The Latin rapiemur is Saint Jerome's translation of the Greek word ἁρπαγησόμεθα. This is a faithful translation, using a form of the Latin verb rapiō, "to catch up" or "take away".[7] It is found in the Vulgate rendering of 1 Thessalonians 4:17.[8] English "Rapture" is an English noun derived from the Latin verb rapiō, with a literal meaning of "I catch up" "or "I snatch" (from the infinitive form of the verb rapere, "to catch up"; "rapture" is also cognate to the English words "rapids", "ravish", and "rape"). Bible versions – English Bible versions have translated Jerome's rapiemur ("we shall be caught up") in various ways: The Wycliffe Bible (1395), translated from the Latin Vulgate (405), uses "rushed".[9] The Tyndale New Testament (1525), and then the Bishop's Bible (1568), Geneva Bible (1587) and King James Version (1611) have "caught up"[10] The New English Bible, translated from the Greek[11] uses "suddenly caught up" with this footnote: "Or “snatched up.” The Greek verb ἁρπάζω implies that the action is quick or forceful, so the translation supplied the adverb “suddenly” to make this implicit notion clear." Literature - The Oxford English Dictionary provides two pages describing the history of usage of the word in English. From the 17th century onwards, the word is attested as rapture with similar senses to the older form rapt. The OED provides the etymology as from Latin rapere: to seize, especially abduct; it likens the words capture and rapture. Of particular note are the various distinctions involving either literal or figurative transport of body or emotions to heaven or from one place to another on earth.[12] circa 1400: Þe visions of seynt poul wan he was rapt into paradys. – Vernon manuscript[13] 1412-20: In this wyse were the brethren twayne To heauen rapt, as thes poetes fayne. – John Lydgate, Chronicle of Troy[14] 1432-50: Helyas was rapte in this tyme. – Ranulf Higden, Polychronicon[15] 1526: Whan he was rapt & taken vp in to the thyrde heuen. – William Bond, Pilgrim of Perfection[16] 1610: To this place ... were Enoch, Elias and Paul rapt up fore their deaths. – John Guillim, Display of Heraldry [17] 1667: Rapt in a Chariot drawn by fiery Steeds. – John Milton, Paradise Lost[18] 1866: He was rapt up on high and saw S. Peter. – Charles Kingsley, Hereward the Wake[19]

Matthew 24:36, where Jesus is quoted saying; "But of that day and hour no one knows, not even the angels of heaven, nor the Son, but the Father only",I,believe this to be very true,what JESUS says.
the rapture event can be known. This time frame is often referred to as "the season". The primary section of scripture cited for this position is Matthew 24:32-35; where Jesus is quoted teaching the parable of the fig tree, which is proposed is a key to know when the 2nd coming of Jesus is going to happen. But don't set dates,hours,minutes of his coming.The Bible does not use the word "rapture"
1. Not found in Biblical concordance
2. Not found in Biblical dictionaries or encyclopedias
3. English word "rapture" derived from Latin word rapio (rapere, raptus)
4. Meaning: to carry away, to be caught up, to snatch, seize, pluck, drag away, carry off, abduct.
Theological usage: "caught up in clouds to meet the Lord"
5. Recent theological origin
6. Emphasized in pre millennial and dispensation al theology since middle of nineteenth century,now,this is the meanings of rapture. I Thess. 4:17 - "we who are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air..."
7. Greek word for "caught up" is harpazo - used 13 times in New testament
1. translated "snatch" - Matt. 13:19; Jn. 10:12,28,29; Acts 8:39; Jude 23
2. translated "take by force" - Matt. 11:12; Jn. 6:15; Acts 23:10
3. translated "caught up"- II Cor. 12:2,4; I Thess 4:17; Rev. 12:5
So in simple words,here it is, In the early days of the church, the Roman Empire ruled much of the civilized world. The Empire's principle language was Latin. Accordingly, in 382 AD the great scholar Jerome began translating the Bible into the Latin language. It took him 25 years. The result was the Vulgate Bible.
In the Vulgate Bible, the Greek word HARPAZO in 1 Thes 4.17 was translated into the Latin word RAPIEMUR. It is from rapiemur that we get the word Rapture.
Thus, "Rapture" has the literal meaning of being caught up or snatched away.
When Jesus returns in the clouds (soon!) He will rapture His people -- living and dead -- right up into the clouds to be with Him always. Halleluyah!
PRAISE YE THE LORD!!!!!!!!!!!!

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 03:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Heartisblack

Does it mention the rapture ? I've always heard that the older editions don't mention it. Nice book though dude

There are 2nd century sermons from apostolic fathers who not only mention the rapture, but state it's a pre-tribulation rapture.

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 03:33 PM
link   
reply to post by venusstarlite

The Greek word used in Thessalonians for "caught up" is Harpazo. The Greek translated to Latin is "Raptiro".

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 04:01 PM
link   
reply to post by GogoVicMorrow

yeah it was so obvious, especially when posted in a conspiracy in religion forum. i just thought i'd ask for the sake of it, you know because i am just suppose to know. nothing wrong with posting it and it is interesting, but i was kind of wondering where the conspiracy was, it was pointed out there wasn't one, all good.

all though it was nice of you to repoint out what was already mentioned before, thank you for telling me again.

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 09:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by lifeform11
reply to post by GogoVicMorrow

yeah it was so obvious, especially when posted in a conspiracy in religion forum. i just thought i'd ask for the sake of it, you know because i am just suppose to know. nothing wrong with posting it and it is interesting, but i was kind of wondering where the conspiracy was, it was pointed out there wasn't one, all good.

all though it was nice of you to repoint out what was already mentioned before, thank you for telling me again.

Well, for the sake of precision I'd like to point out that there are a few threads on the first page that are criticizing Christianity that should go in the "Rant" forum. There is no defined "conspiracy" in them.

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 10:10 PM
link   

Very nice find!
And it has a Matthew Henry commentary in it too!!!!!

Jealously is seeping in....

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 08:22 PM
link   
Here is the date. Promised one of you members I would eventually:

imageshack.us...
edit on 23-5-2011 by CanadianDream420 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 01:33 PM
link   
reply to post by NOTurTypical

I,know thanks.I,wrote on this subject in other articles.But thanks again,

top topics

<< 1   >>

join