It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What makes one a Hero?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 09:33 PM
link   

A hero is no braver than an ordinary man, but he is brave five minutes longer. Ralph Waldo Emerson Read more: www.brainyquote.com...

I will first begin with a little about myself. I have been many things in my short life. An orderly, a deputy, a photographer, a restaurant manager, a paperboy, a volunteer firefighter, ran a bookstore, a ghost (funny story), a cook, and a few others that escape me at the moment. Currently, I am an investigator for a major security company. In some of these professions I have saved lives and homes. I have protected the weak, fed the hungry and scared the fearless (LoL). Never once was I a hero.

I will write that again... Never ONCE was I a hero.

A person noted for feats of courage or nobility of purpose, especially one who has risked or sacrificed his or her life

Hero definition

A nice idea being a hero. One that most people have fantasized about. (I have) But, what makes one a hero? What makes one stand out above and beyond others? Does joining the military automatically make you a hero? Does enduring the rigors of nursing school make you a hero? Or, perhaps simply being a teacher makes you a hero.
Personally, I think not.

remarkably brave person: somebody who commits an act of remarkable bravery or who has shown an admirable quality such as great courage or strength of character

More Hero stuff

By this definition being a Hero requires something remarkable. It would seem that one must go above and beyond their chosen path/profession in order to be a Hero.
Our society has for some reason began labeling anyone and everyone a "hero" of some sort. All this praise simply for doing the job they chose.
Here is an example of the change that we have gone through in measuring what constitutes a hero.

Budweiser commercial

Budweiser commercials were, at the time, called "Real American Heroes."

They became..."Real Men of Genius" One has to ask themselves...

Another Commercial

Why?

*sigh* 9/11 is why.

I find it sadly humorous that a joke made by a huge company in order to boost sales was made to feel the need to change their commercials.
I was sad, when the towers fell, knowing that so many innocents lost their lives. I was sad to know that all those emergency responders died as well. Was it brave for the firefighters to enter a burning building? YES. Was it noble for them to try their best to save as many people as possible. YES. Was it Heroic? No. They were simply doing their jobs. Should we honor them? YES
Had the towers not fallen would they still be called heroes or just brave? Death does not make one a Hero or else we will all be Heroes one day.
When a person decides to join a particular profession they are made aware of possible risks involved in undertaking said profession. Once made aware they decide if it is what they want to do. This in no way is Heroic. This is simply a desire to do good for others.
What saddens me is that ever since 9/11 MSM and TV in general has went out of its way to make us believe that any sacrifice for the "Fatherland" is considered Heroic. It is simply not true. Heroes are NOT a dime a dozen as they wish for us to believe. A Hero does not have to die in order to be called thus. Heroes are those that go that extra mile, usually full of fear, with enough determination to make a difference even though it is not what they do "for a living".
The title of HERO is hard earned and most often unwelcome.

I have been called a Hero. I have never felt like one. I simply do what I do and try to make a positive impact on those I encounter.

This is an example of a Hero...

A Hero

I did not feel that simply saying HI was enough for an introduction. I hope this post gives you pause for thought. Words do have power. I do not like that power being diminished due to unnecessary and excessive use.

What other words do you have that are suffering the same fate?

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 09:38 PM
link   
Your post definitely gave pause for thought!

Thank you - great post - welcome!

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 09:45 PM
link   
They sure do throw that word around a lot.

Indeed, a hero is one who is truly humble, willing to let himself be destroyed for the sake of another.

And welcome to you.

edit on 17/5/11 by AdamsMurmur because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 09:50 PM
link   
Welcome to ATS. Based on what you have written so far, I am sure that your going to enjoy your time here, as well as others will enjoy what you contribute.

S&F. See you on the boards.

Peace, NRE.

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 10:00 PM
link   
a plastic guitar?

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 10:01 PM
link   
Very interesting introduction.

We may all have different ideas on what a hero is, but I agree that word is thrown around to much.

A true hero in my eyes,is one who accomplishes something extraordinary, that most people could not accomplish, and does it for the good of others,with no regard for himself ,or his/her ego.

Welcome to ATS , I'm very new here myself,but I like to feel newcomers feel as welcomed as I did when I joined.

Look forward to reading your posts.

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 10:02 PM
link   
As TSearchx says you certainly give pause for thought mista. I'll say welcome but I'm a newbie here myself don't know if it means much! Hello.

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 10:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Fishticon84

Hmmm...

Plastic guitars....

Not sure what to say but, managed a laugh nonetheless.

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 10:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sagittarian69
reply to post by Fishticon84

Hmmm...

Plastic guitars....

Not sure what to say but, managed a laugh nonetheless.

You're welcome
and welcome!

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 10:13 PM
link   
reply to post by gabby2011

Thank all of you for your response.

A true hero in my eyes,is one who accomplishes something extraordinary, that most people could not accomplish, and does it for the good of others,with no regard for himself ,or his/her ego.

Well put...

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 10:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Sagittarian69

I know one thing as an absolute about heros. They are hardly ever, who, we are told they are.

There is a line in this movie that says, " A good family man is the best thing a man could ever hope to be"
I believe what makes someone a hero even more than one brazen act of courage. Is the long selfless act of being a good father and an even better husband. I know this comes easier for some than others. But how does that diminish it's importance ? It simply doesn't. If it comes easily for you ? I would like to ask you, do you have
any idea how blessed you are?

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 10:45 PM
link   
reply to post by randyvs

I understand and respect that. My father was my hero when I was little. The perceptions of a child are untainted by the big bad world.

As we grow our perception of a Hero grows. As a child Dad did go above and beyond. He was a hero. All a matter of perception. Now that I am an adult. (Took me a while, LoL). It seems that the idea of a hero has grown with me.

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 11:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Sagittarian69

All a matter of perception.

I guess I would have to admit to being envious. After two failed marriages I have finally grown up enough myself
to have a some success in my third. What I'm trying to point to ? Is how hard this world with just its temptations alone. Makes being a good man, a very tough thing to acheive. For some of us more than others I guess. I've never been easy to settled down without getting restless. It's a part of myself I truly dislike because I know how important it is for a little guy to have a good Dad.
I look at men who do this easily. To me, they are heros.

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 11:45 PM
link   
First, welcome!
Second. Loved this post.

To add my two cents to your topic but in a slightly different direction...

When I was a kid it always bothered me that I never seemed to come across stories of REAL heroes. Instead the heroes of modern day society are literally ACTORS pretending to be heroes. Is he handsome? Are his teeth perfect? What about his hair? Abs of steel? No? Well then, nothing to see here. BORING. (sarcasm)

My heroes are everyday people. I think my parents are heroes for raising 5 kids together! I just had my first and let's say I think my parents had to have been insane to have five. Talk about having to face everyday with courage, bravery, patience, etc.

Truly, my heroes.
edit on 17-5-2011 by seeker11 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 12:11 AM
link   
A hero is someone who battles his own inner and outer demons/overcomes them for the sake of the greater good.

a hero is someone who does not seek to be a hero, but rather situation forces them to be one.

hmmm

i guess a hero supposedly dies at the end.

i believe these are some things that i recall from mythology class.....

not my words.

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 12:15 AM
link   
reply to post by seeker11

Back in the '80s and since then from my experience ACTORS have been portrayed as being heroes. I remember not actually being able to think of a living hero type during my highschool years.

I think it is important for a father/mother to be a true hero to their children. If they set a high standard then those children will set their sights even higher as they get older. After all, a parent that performs "magic" is a hella hard act to follow, LoL.

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 12:24 AM
link   
Welcome to ATS.
In my eyes, a hero is an individual who, though may be just as afraid as everyone else, will not shy away from danger. This individual will put themselves in danger in order to serve other around them. It may not be physical danger and it may not be life-threatening. However, when the fight or flight impulse kicks in, this person wants to fly but will not. They stay and see the job done.

Additionally, a true hero seeks no recognition. That is why so few REAL heros are every known.

My personal opinion, that's all.
edit on 18/5/2011 by TheLoneArcher because: Same as ever

edit on 18/5/2011 by TheLoneArcher because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 12:29 AM
link   
reply to post by saabacura

I agree that a Hero does not set out to become one. Circumstance dictates their ascension to the Heroic. One does not have to die to be a Hero. That is a romantic notion passed on to lend credence to ancient stories.

I wonder, should we just evolve with the new definition of Hero? OR, hold on to the basic value of what it takes to be a Hero and not toss it out without merit?

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 12:41 AM
link   
reply to post by TheLoneArcher

Yes, without sacrifice a Hero will not be born. All Heroes do not wish to be recognized. They see what they do as being something anyone would do if they were in their place.

Does pose another question though... is there a Hero in all of us?

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 12:49 AM
link   
A matching cape and tights?

Like many other arguments that have rattled the foundation of human arguing, this is a matter of perspective, it all depends on who's "side" your on, and you will have subjective heroes for either. imo anyways

top topics

<<   2 >>

join