It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rand Paul: A Tax Per Mile You Drive "May Be The Dumbest Idea I've Heard This Week!"

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 09:01 PM
link   
"Big Brother in Washington wants somebody to ride with them in your car and measure the mileage" wow what a great quote from Rand Paul

Seriously, Are they trying to get people to revolt? I mean really, if they wanted to keep people asleep, this is not the way to do it IMO... Or maybe they know what they are doing, and the sheeple will sit back and take it, just like the TSA madness...

If they are looking to create revenue, how about pull our troops out of the 130+ countries we are occupying, cut the govt back, tax the greedy corporations with some stupid tax instead... I cant believe this is even an option they are considering

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 09:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by morder1
"Big Brother in Washington wants somebody to ride with them in your car and measure the mileage" wow what a great quote from Rand Paul

They don't really want to tax us. They get plenty of tax for the roads from gasoline tax and tolls. They want to watch our driving habits to see if they can label us terrorists.

If they are looking to create revenue, how about pull our troops out of the 130+ countries we are occupying,

Don't forget that we're only at war with about 5 of them. When was the last time we were at war with Great Britain? 1814, wasn't it?

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 09:12 PM
link   
Tax on gas; directly proportional to use of the roads, promotes fuel efficiency, promotes alternative energy sources.

Tax on mile; directly proportional to use of roads, no penalty for wasting gas/polluting, requires us to be tracked in at least some mild way.

I mean, increasing gas taxes right now wouldn't be thought of very highly. Taxing the mile adds the same cost to drivers, but with no mind to our limited gas supply and the environment.

Maybe if they brought this bill back up in 50 years when we all had Zero Emission Vehicles, it would make sense. But now? Not at all.

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 09:18 PM
link   
reply to post by morder1

More and more quotes from one Paul or the other.

Seems like a publicity stunt to me.

Recipe is:

1) Say something mildly shocking

2) Have people OOoo and AAahh and OMG

3) Easy and cheap publicity

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 09:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by daynight42
reply to post by morder1

Recipe is:

How about you go ahead and bring something to the table that refutes what he said, or is at least on topic?

/TOA
edit on 17-5-2011 by The Old American because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 09:22 PM
link   

Recipe is:

How is what he said "shocking"? What's shocking is the fact the government wants to drain every penny from us.

...Then again...maybe that isn't so shocking after all.

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 09:23 PM
link   

Recipe is:

This is not "mildly shocking" at all. What is mildly (nay, extremely) shocking is that any idiot could even conceive that taxing drivers 'by the mile' is a good idea at all.

This is not about publicity. It's about common sense in a political climate that is sorely lacking it.

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 09:29 PM
link   
reply to post by daynight42

Uhmmmm.... Rand Paul is a Senator... He has no right to say anything?

About Ron Paul... Look back 35 years from now, he IS STILL THE SAME PERSON, Saying the same things, he does not fall for corruption, read a book of his and you might realize he is all about what our fore fathers were about... I cant tell where you are located, but the Constitution is what America is BUILT on... Its pretty obvious we have fallen far from the Constitution...

Ron Paul does not need his son to help PR anything for him

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 09:31 PM
link   
Taxes, taxes, taxes......LMAO!

All this talk of taxing us for every little thing gets more absurd by the minute.....

As if taxing us on ANYTHING anymore is truly gonna get this country out of debt.......what a sham. But I guess they'll keep perpetuating this fallacy as long as people believe it is really a solution to any of this mess.....

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 09:44 PM
link   
It's another scam...
California used to have the best road system in the world just 5 years ago. Since then, the gas tax money and lottery proceeds have been diverted to the general fund shortfall. The roads have totally neglected for five years. Potholes are in the trillions and may never be fixed.
Don't be fooled!

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 09:46 PM
link   
That is just disgusting! Way to keep us locked in, gas prices are already keeping people at home esp. during the upcoming travel season. What's next...proposed taxes for walking, riding a bike? Someone to follow us around our homes, taxing everything we do.
And if not for tax reasons, monitoring us? Do they not monitor enough cell phones, GPS and traffic cameras,-and that's just outside of the house- as well as cams installed in some city downtown areas-monitered by the police.

Go Rand!

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 09:47 PM
link   
reply to post by morder1

I agree OP, this is just madness to the nth degree. I don't know how much we spend on overseas bases, but I would guess if we closed half of them, quit doling out foreign aid to countries that hate us and use that money for other than it's intended purpose, we could fund most of the programs that are necessary here at home.

Add in Iraq, Afghanistan, and Libya, and what an impact this would have on our economy. Taxing us by the mile is ludicrous. Maybe as you say, do they want us to revolt? Sure seems like it. Have mercy on our souls!

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 09:54 PM
link   
It's an effort to gain back the money they've lost from the more fuel-efficient vehicles. That poor sob who bought the "mostly" electric car will pay the same tax as the guy in the H2 Hummer.

They wouldn't be removing the high prices at the pumps either...it would be in addition to. Interstate commerce, tourism, etc.. would suffer. People would not be able to live in the country and work in the city...be forced to join the masses in Urbania or settle for a lower paying local gig if any would still be available. The weekend drives to the cabin or to visit the folks wouldn't be as frequent.

Just another dang ball of iron to attach to our chains.

Who sponsored this thing, and who are the co-sponsors, and who gave them their objectives?

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 12:05 AM
link   
reply to post by dreamingawake

Yah no kidding... Ive gotten rid of my hand held spy device(cell) and gonna pick up a decent bike this weekend, start riding around instead of driving anyways...

Just hope they dont start taxing my bike like you said!

top topics

join