Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

A Video That Parents and Children Alike Must See! There May Be Hope After All!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
+3 more 
posted on May, 17 2011 @ 08:36 PM
link   
Though this video was from last year there is a very important message to be taken from the voice and words of a remarkable young lady that decided to take her opportunity to speak in front of many, and taught everyone there a lesson they will never forget.

Listen carefully as a product of our system tells the true story.
Valedictorian Speaks Out Against Schooling

And if she cannot be heard fully, here is the text of her speech.

Here I Stand
Erica Goldson

There is a story of a young, but earnest Zen student who approached his teacher, and asked the Master, "If I work very hard and diligently, how long will it take for me to find Zen? The Master thought about this, then replied, "Ten years." 
The student then said, "But what if I work very, very hard and really apply myself to learn fast - How long then?" Replied the Master, "Well, twenty years." "But, if I really, really work at it, how long then?" asked the student. "Thirty years," replied the Master. "But, I do not understand," said the disappointed student. "At each time that I say I will work harder, you say it will take me longer. Why do you say that?" 
Replied the Master, "When you have one eye on the goal, you only have one eye on the path."
This is the dilemma I've faced within the American education system. We are so focused on a goal, whether it be passing a test, or graduating as first in the class. However, in this way, we do not really learn. We do whatever it takes to achieve our original objective.
Some of you may be thinking, “Well, if you pass a test, or become valedictorian, didn't you learn something? Well, yes, you learned something, but not all that you could have. Perhaps, you only learned how to memorize names, places, and dates to later on forget in order to clear your mind for the next test. School is not all that it can be. Right now, it is a place for most people to determine that their goal is to get out as soon as possible.
I am now accomplishing that goal. I am graduating. I should look at this as a positive experience, especially being at the top of my class. However, in retrospect, I cannot say that I am any more intelligent than my peers. I can attest that I am only the best at doing what I am told and working the system. Yet, here I stand, and I am supposed to be proud that I have completed this period of indoctrination. I will leave in the fall to go on to the next phase expected of me, in order to receive a paper document that certifies that I am capable of work. But I contest that I am a human being, a thinker, an adventurer – not a worker. A worker is someone who is trapped within repetition – a slave of the system set up before him. But now, I have successfully shown that I was the best slave. I did what I was told to the extreme. While others sat in class and doodled to later become great artists, I sat in class to take notes and become a great test-taker.

americaviaerica.blogspot.com...
The rest can be read at the above link.

Peace, NRE.

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 08:39 PM
link   
wow thats deep.........thats all i can say

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 08:51 PM
link   
reply to post by NoRegretsEver

Thats exactly what we need to learn at school. We are a slave at the system and some of us are better slaves like her.

Outstanding thinking and very awakening.

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 09:06 PM
link   
For this reason and other medical ones I decided to teach my children at home.
Within one week all the nightmares stopped and we started to bond, it hasn't been easy but it has been fun.

So look into home education if your child is finding it all overwhelming or you child is a kinesthetic learner as these learners don't do well at school.

At the moment we are learning German and French Rosetta Stone, Guitar lessons online.Gardening and bird watching.Cross stitch and knitting, spinning wool. DIY. Designing and making clothes. Loads of other stuff inc Latin, Shakespeare and Victorian literature for women.

Peace and love.

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 09:19 PM
link   
So is this the problem with not just the education system but maybe the whole Amerrican outlook That We get an "education" just to make money not for actually learning and trying to better yourself. Because i mean once you have your peiece of paper and then get your job behind the desk to you still have the want the desire to learn something? Or do you yourself become the drone??

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 09:19 PM
link   
There is hope.

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 09:22 PM
link   
For some reason I kept expecting someone to take her off stage....might have been watching too many "police nation" videos just lately

But seriously...this video gave me one thing

HOPE

Just a little...and I thank you very much for finding this.

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 09:28 PM
link   
Beautiful. It's good to see people opening their eyes. I myself have always called it simply as it is, "a piece of paper." Took the words right outta my mouth! Well done, miss. May there be more like you.

I'm pretty glad I didn't take all of it too seriously. It's nice to be one of those that doodled in class once in a while... I'm not wealthy in paper, but I don't have a ball and chain around my ankle either. Hold onto your freedoms.

Again, that was beautifully put and I'm truly glad to see someone make a speech that went against what was expected of them.
edit on 17/5/11 by AdamsMurmur because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 09:32 PM
link   
This could get you shot for treason in some countries.

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 09:36 PM
link   
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Worth spreading though.

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 09:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Skewed

I am almost 100% sure that no one knew that this was going to be her speech. She took a hell of a chance coming forward like that. I'm surprised they still gave her her "piece of paper". You can tell by some of the giggles, that they were due to nerves. She caught everyone off guard, and sometimes thats the way to do it.

Peace, NRE.

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 09:38 PM
link   
SHE IS ATHENA INCARNATE!

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 09:46 PM
link   

Just think if she had a little more maturity where she could have shaken some that fear of authority that was still present. Then she would have really been able to give it her all and let it also show in her voice.

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 02:12 AM
link   
She really does get it...
I'm pretty sure the TBTB are not happy with that speech either.

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 09:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Buffalo Soldier

I agree. I wonder how this would effect her life down the line. If this could possibly hinder her in any future endeavors, considering the video is so popular. I would imagine she wouldn't exactly fit into many places.

Or her interviewer being aware that the video exist would assume she wasn't a "team player".

Peace, NRE.

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 10:01 AM
link   

I would hire her in a heartbeat if I were in a position to do so.

If not for any other reason than out of principal and her desire to ask questions.

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 01:25 PM
link   
True shiz. Does anyone remember the movie Accepted? Would be awesome to have an education system like that one.

Anyway, I will have my final exams (Abitur) in 2 weeks. Wish me much success to be a great "test-taker" that week to become a good slave.

Unless I become a CEO!

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 01:33 PM
link   
I just went out on limb and sent a challenge to my local school board with these links.

I do not expect anything but at least I am calling them out.

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 02:36 PM
link   

This made my day, I couldn't have said it better myself. Thanks for sharing this.

2nd

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 05:17 AM
link   
I have decided to ask the schools here if there is anyway that this video can be shown to graduates of the 2011-2012 school year. I am 100% sure I have to have a pretty good excuse to want this to be shown and there may be some fight, but I feel that this is way to important to pass up.

I will post whatever decision that is made.
Peace, NRE.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join