It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Vermont approves universal health program

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 08:27 PM
link   
Vermont approves universal health program
The measure adopted by the Legislature and supported by the governor would establish a single-payer-type plan, although some private insurers would stay.

Vermont Gov. Peter Shumlin has pledged to sign a bill that paves the way for the state to launch a health system approaching a single-payer model later in the decade and to create a state health insurance exchange within the next several years.

The measure creates a powerful five-member Green Mountain Care Board, members of which will determine the benefits and craft a funding plan for Green Mountain Care, a state universal health plan. The board would have wide authority over state health spending and health system reform. The bill requires the governor to nominate Green Mountain board members by Oct. 1 and the Vermont Senate to confirm them.

Link to story

This is great news for anyone who is truly interested in reducing out of control healthcare costs and budget deficits. Single-payer health care systems are really the only way to really reduce costs (aside from mandates) that are or will be a major concern for every US state.

While Vermont's system isn't a "true" single payer, it will pretty much be the closest thing in existence to one in the US. And while Vermont is a small state, it only takes one to start a chain reaction. A single payer bill in California passed through the Senate committee a short while ago, and while it still has some ways to go (and trust me the full force of the corrupt life-for-profit complex will stop at nothing to kill it) it stands a much better chance of being passed with a Democratic Governor.

This is how Canada did it, step by step - and while everyone rails against Obamacare, the fact that it really gives states power to set up their own systems of healthcare really empowered some of the more forward thinking state governments to take action. If big states like California go single payer, I expect it would be a death knell for the insurance industry.

Like it or not, socialized medicine is going to happen. It may not be this year or next, but by 2020 at least, it will be blossoming across the states.

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 08:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Avenginggecko

Wonderful news. Every single Western Nation does this (or very similar) with great success. Of course, they aren't owned and run by corporations like the dumb that is the United States.

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 08:30 PM
link   
Great news, hopefully this goes some way towards reducing the insane healthcare costs in the USA.

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 08:33 PM
link   
At least one state is populated with educated, informed, humane and decent people. Ten to 1 says Vermont has the lowest percentage of evangelicals, who I contend are the most vicious, hateful, ignorant and non-Christian cretins in the U.S.

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 08:49 PM
link   
They can thank Bernie Sanders. He put some good things in the Obamacare bill....like opening thousands more community health centers to help get care for those who don't have much money. he's a good man.

I wish he'd run for President...but it'll never happen...at least not in 2012.

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 09:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by pajoly
At least one state is populated with educated, informed, humane and decent people. Ten to 1 says Vermont has the lowest percentage of evangelicals, who I contend are the most vicious, hateful, ignorant and non-Christian cretins in the U.S.

I don't know if it is the snow or what, but Vermont has always been one to embrace systems of governance that support the best forms of Democracy (their house has 400 representatives so each elected official actually answers to something like 20,000 people), with social-style Democracy and good corporate governance.

I'd be there in a heartbeat...but I like the city life.

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 10:01 PM
link   
A decent plan. Now only if this can serve as an example to states that rejected the Obama health care and for them to follow through. As well as other states that are with the care and realizing it's not beneficial, who demand a change.

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 10:02 PM
link   
Wonder what will happen when it becomes obvious that not only is this more humane, it will almost certainly be more cost-effective as well?

I'm guessing it will prove to be both. Maybe some other states will get the hint then.

edit on 17-5-2011 by Hessling because: Durp!

new topics

top topics

join