It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Yet another sensless cop shooting

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 07:56 PM
link   
I don't post much, especially news stories because most everyone here is quicker than me but this really hit home. It happened around the first or second of May. It occurred only a couple towns away from my home and the man who was killed was a manager here at my local Walmart. I doubt it made any major headlines.

The man killed was very friendly and a very good man. I didn't know him on a personal level but he always had a smile on his face and seemed to be very well liked. He was out to pay his water bill at the town hall and inquire about his daughter's traffic ticket and was shot in cold blood, three times and no reason at this time has been given. This happened in a very small one-cop southern town. The cop is "on paid leave" pending the outcome of an investigation.

Eutawville mayor places police chief on paid leave after fatal shooting

The State Law Enforcement Division is still investigating Monday's fatal shooting in front of the Eutawville Town Hall. Authorities say Eutawville Police Chief Richard Combs shot and killed 54-year-old Bernard Bailey three times Monday morning. The Orangeburg County Coroner's Office says Bailey was shot twice in the chest and once in the shoulder. The cause of death was a gunshot wound to the chest.

Related Story:

Residents said Monday that Bailey came to the town hall to pay a water bill and to inquire about a traffic ticket that his daughter had gotten. They say after that, the deadly shots rang out.

There is no information on why this happened but it's a very sad story and there's nothing in the world that should have made this tragic, senseless murder (as far as I'm concerned) happen. Maybe I'm wrong and he did something to provoke the cop but I just don't think so. He was out to pay a water bill in the middle of the day--at the Town Hall for crying out loud. This world gets crazier by the minute but it really makes my stomach do turns when I hear about something like this happening right in my own back yard.
edit on 17-5-2011 by CoherentlyConfused because: typo

edit on 17-5-2011 by CoherentlyConfused because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 08:02 PM
link   
If this happened at the beginning of May, there should be witness reports by now. It was done in a public place in broad daylight from what I understand.

Where are the witnesses?

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 08:02 PM
link   
reply to post by CoherentlyConfused

The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

The same things that make it so unbelievable, also make it unbelievable.

Before condemning the cop in this incident (and all others), why don't we wait for the backstory? How likely is it that a sheriff just walked up and shot a man dead for no reason, in the middle of the day, in front of the town hall? I mean really, there had to have been some provocation.

Now, provocation doesn't have to mean legal provocation, maybe that sheriff just learned this guy was doing his wife? Maybe it really was murder, but it doesn't have to be another case of police violence.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

edit on 17-5-2011 by getreadyalready because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 08:09 PM
link   
Well, that's just it..there is no more information. What is available is so brief and holds very little information at all. What would cause a cop to just walk up to someone (he was in his truck) and just start shooting? There's no answers yet. According to the article, the cop was supposed to release a statement but I can't find it anywhere.
edit on 17-5-2011 by CoherentlyConfused because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 08:20 PM
link   
This is a pretty sad event. I retired Corrections Officer and Wal Mart manager gunned down by a lazy, slack off of a LEO. In broad daylight, with witnesses and everything.

SLED agents say Combs was taken to the hospital for treatment, but he has since been released.

link

I dont really understand that part. It didnt say what he was treated for, unless it was just to process his hands (for residue) and give him a quick psych evaluation.

With any luck, the investigation will determine whether the two had some sort of violent history together or more likely the chief will try to say he was threatened during their conversation and had to defend himself.
Chief better hope he doesnt go to prison in SC though.
Strike 1: he is a cop and not the best profession to be in right before going to prison.
Strike 2: he killed a DoC Officer, which means he will also have to endure the hate of the officers in charge of him.
This is a no win situation if he is found guilty of murder.

I hope you keep us up to date on this. I would love to see how this turns out.

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 08:26 PM
link   
reply to post by wheresthetruth

The police are under a lot of presure.
I am sure that when all said in done they will give a good reason..
I hope.

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 08:55 PM
link   
reply to post by wheresthetruth

Small towns always have the biggest secrets, so who knows. It's highly improbable that the two men didn't know each other. I hope some more information comes to light but from my limited knowledge of the man who was shot, from my brief contacts with him and hearing what local folks have said about him, he seemed to be a good, kind man.

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 08:12 AM
link   
This happens a lot. The Police always abusing their powers and doing the wrong things, Some Police are some what of terrorists.

top topics

join