It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Reid argues oil bill could lower gas prices.............. SAY WHAT?!?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 12:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by macman
This is pretty simple.

Yes it is. Let them pay taxes like everyone else and let me vote with my wallet. What you are advocating is the exact opposite of capitalism and free market. I hope you all see that. Why should I be forced to pay to subsidize gas so it is cheaper for you to buy?

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 12:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Runaway1977

Hold on there tough guy.
I never said it was right/wrong.
I only pointed out that with raised taxes, comes raised consumer prices.

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 12:29 PM
link   

Hold on there tough guy.
I never said it was right/wrong.
I only pointed out that with raised taxes, comes raised consumer prices.

Then you agree with me that they should no longer get subsidies and if prices go up, so be it then?
I am having a hard time understanding the way people pivot on this. I have seen enough to dismiss the argument but even accepting it, so?

Let them raise prices. That is the free market. So you are saying you agree with me that we should not be paying our taxes to subsidize as we should instead be choosing whether or not to buy gas are market prices?

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 12:42 PM
link   
Here is my problem with the SYSTEM:

Capitalism is a great thing, it really is. It made America, it created the 'American Dream" It gives us the OPPROTUNITY to make as much money as we can. Now, is that statement a reality? MAYBE.

The problem with capitalism, and that is what many of you are talking about taking away from the SYSTEM, the ability to make as much money as you want/can, is that the HUMAN CONDITION allows for all of us to be greedy at many levels and the GREED/Human Condition is what ruins the opprotunity that capitalism affords each and every one of us...pretty sad, because it is part of us, it is in our DNA. IT IS SOCIETY!

When big oil says they had an increase of 69% in profit, that means that after all of their bills, they made a 69% increase over last Qtr. Now if that was Joes A/C repair shop saying that, we would slap him on his back and tell him he is cutting down his own path and that is pretty freaking awesome. Why dont we say that to the oil companies? Becuase it directly effects our checking account every month, right?

Well, I live in New Orleans and gets hotter than hell down here for 8 months out of the year. So, Joes A/C is also something that I HAVE, TO HAVE. Just like 87 octane, but you not asking for federal regulationon the little guy. How come?

I dont like the price of gas as much as the next guy, but I dont want to take away the ability of the average joe to cut his own path either.

Most of us, myself included are pissed that the oil companies are making record profits of the American citizen when they would be just fine, according to a Shell Exc, with $80 a barrel for crude. I get it, I understand it, Im with ya, but until someone figures out to take away the human conscience, it will never change.

People want the Fed's to regulate the oil companies. You(ME) want the Fed's to regulate speculation on Oil. We want the Fed's, an organization that none of trust, to do something about the problem, REALLY?

The problem IS the government, the problem is the human condition the resides in all of us. The ability to chose between what is right and wrong is the problem. We all need to change how we look at the world. Big Oil doesnt want to help us, they want to halp themselves...GREED is the key. If we cant get rid of greed...well, there is really nothing else to talk about.

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 12:45 PM
link   

I think there should be a flat tax, period.
No company should be taxed differently then another.
If taxes were done this way, they would be as a whole lower for the citizen. Thus, the price of consumer items would be lower.

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 12:46 PM
link   
reply to post by macman

Pretty good dance around that answer.

Well anyone that can justify why if I ride a bike, I should still have to help pay to keep your gas prices low without dancing?

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 12:50 PM
link   

No dancing.
I think the fact that some companies escape taxes (Oil, GE) is ridiculous.
They should all pay the same.

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 12:52 PM
link   
reply to post by macman

I specifically said that the subsidies should be done away with.
You know that.

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 01:03 PM
link   

Then it is a matter of verbiage.

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 01:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Runaway1977

Originally posted by Quadrivium
reply to post by Janky Red

You are absolutely right. We are being ripped of off.
As I stated before the oil companies make roughly 6 cents off of every gallon of gas while the government makes around 40 cents per gallon. There is your rip off.

Do you believe that oil companies are hurting right now? Why do you feel the need to protect them and their profits with everyone else's tax dollars?

Lol, what is wrong with you? I am not defending the oil companies. I am trying to point out that the goverment is more corrupt than them or any other company.
The national average that the government makes on a gallon of gas is just over 48 cents.
THAT IS 42 CENTS MORE PER GALLON THAN THE OIL COMPANIES GET.
The dems knew from the start that this bill would not get passed. It was just their way to shift the blame. That way they could play on the emotions of people like you.
How many government officials have you heard compare the governments profits to the oil companies profits?

The democrates keep talking about the "big five".
Do you understand who they are talking about?
Do you understand how small their contribution to the nations oil supply is?
If they were to sell their oil at 60-80 dollars a barrel (as janky red suggested ) and the rest of the worlds oil companies continued selling at 95-100 dollars a barrel how long would the big five stay in buisness?

You and janky keep crying about me trying to protect the oil companies yet with every post you are defending one of the most corrupt institution of modern times......THE U.S. GOVERNMENT.

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 01:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Quadrivium

Just tell me why oil should get tax subsidies instead of you paying the high price for gas because you choose to buy gas instead of taxing me to pay for your gas. Can you do that?

Either you are defending the subsidies or you are not. It is very black and white.

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 01:09 PM
link   

Then it is a matter of verbiage.

Then why is it so hard to get a simple yes or no on the subsidies.
Should they continue to get subsidies of tax dollars, yes or no?

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 01:10 PM
link   

The democrates keep talking about the "big five".
Do you understand who they are talking about?
Do you understand how small their contribution to the nations oil supply is?
If they were to sell their oil at 60-80 dollars a barrel (as janky red suggested ) and the rest of the worlds oil companies continued selling at 95-100 dollars a barrel how long would the big five stay in buisness?

Do you understand how Oil prices are regulated?

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 01:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Runaway1977
reply to post by macman

I specifically said that the subsidies should be done away with.
You know that.

First you need to understand them differences between subsidies and corporate tax breaks.
The dems. would have you believe that the big five get subsidies.
They truth is that they get a corporate tax break.

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 01:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Quadrivium

You are trying very hard to just not answer my question.
I know what I asked and I know what words I used.

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 01:20 PM
link   

No dancing.
I think the fact that some companies escape taxes (Oil, GE) is ridiculous.
They should all pay the same.

Runaway, I did.

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 01:21 PM
link   
reply to post by macman

I asked why if my taxes should go to subsidies.
Was it confusing?

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 01:25 PM
link   
reply to post by macman

Flat tax? Then check out fairtax.org

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 01:35 PM
link   

No, you just don't like me answer.
All should pay the same in taxes.

I know what a subsidy is. The Oil Companies are getting tax breaks.

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 01:35 PM
link   

reply to post by macman

Flat tax? Then check out fairtax.org

Been there, done that.
Love Neil Bortz.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join