It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Reid argues oil bill could lower gas prices.............. SAY WHAT?!?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 07:32 PM
link   
Him and Nancy sure do make a great team.......not.

I wonder if he really believes the nonsense he is saying.

Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-Nev.) suggested Tuesday that the Democrats' bill eliminating tax breaks for the big five oil companies could be the first step in helping bring down "exorbitant gas prices.
“We have to do something about the exorbitant gas prices, and the best way to start with that is to do something about the five big oil companies getting subsidies they don't need,” Reid said on the Senate floor Tuesday morning.

thehill.com...

Most people seem to realise that when taxes increase on a buisness they raise the price of their goods to

offset that increase. As I said, most people seem to realise this. I guess the liberal gene that has been

recently discovered some how nullifies that thought process.

I for one a glad this bill did not pass.

edit on 17-5-2011 by Quadrivium because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 07:40 PM
link   
No stopping brainwashed zombies...

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 07:46 PM
link   
Well, it's been a couple days since I could say I have heard the dumbest thing I have ever heard from congress. So I guess they were due.

Course, they had the weekend off, too.

**sigh**

Dumbest thing I have ever heard from congress...

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 07:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Quadrivium

Yay! Another victory for big oil...

You are aware that oil subsidies are funded by taxpayers, right?

And now the Republicans will continue to cry about the deficit, after they created it, and have filibustered yet another attempt to reduce it. Hypocrisy much?

However, Reid was absolutely incorrect in that this would reduce prices at the pump, so we can agree there.

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 08:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by drwizardphd

And now the Republicans will continue to cry about the deficit, after they created it, and have filibustered yet another attempt to reduce it. Hypocrisy much.
However, Reid was absolutely incorrect in that this would reduce prices at the pump, so we can agree there.

They are in a BUISNESS, the objective in a buisness is.........?? YEP, you guessed it, TO MAKE MONEY!

Shame on those big bad oil companies, I mean with the wopping 6 cents they make on every gallon

and government getting only a LITTLE more than that, at HMMMMM... TRY AROUND 40 CENTS PER GALLON.

This was in no way an attempt to lower the deficit. This was an attempt to shift the blame of the high gas prices.

Stop buying into the "subsidies" bull you hear from the left. It is a tax break and most big buisnesses get them.

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 08:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by drwizardphd

And now the Republicans will continue to cry about the deficit, after they created it, and have filibustered yet another attempt to reduce it. Hypocrisy much.

They are in a BUISNESS, the objective in a buisness is.........?? YEP, you guessed it, TO MAKE MONEY!

Shame on those big bad oil companies, I mean with the wopping 6 cents they make on every gallon

and government getting only a LITTLE more than that, at HMMMMM... TRY AROUND 40 CENTS PER GALLON.

This was in no way an attempt to lower the deficit. This was an attempt to shift the blame of the high gas prices.

Stop buying into the "subsidies" bull you hear from the left. It is a tax break and most big buisnesses get them.

This whole post makes you sound like a corporate shill, why do you feel the need to defend them???

Hofmeister of Shell Oil Stated under oath in 2008, that oil could be refined and transported, with room for profit
at $40 - $60 a barrel... In defiance of the other big firms, he stated this simple truth, America is being gouged
by speculators, who assist distribution in a symbiotic relationship much like a cartel. How globalist are you?

Really I don't get why you guys cannot feel angry at people who take your extort your money if it is under the auspices of BUSINESS.

Can you explain the wealth worship to me?

It is not intelligent

it does not seem to account for self preservation either

edit on 17-5-2011 by Janky Red because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 09:05 PM
link   
OK, I'm poor at math. I understand this. But I know I'm not that bad. My wife is an accountant. She's good at math. I just read to her out loud what Harry Reid said. Her response?

"That's economic voodoo."

I love my wife. I...the exact opposite of love...the progressives.

/TOA

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 09:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Old American
OK, I'm poor at math. I understand this. But I know I'm not that bad. My wife is an accountant. She's good at math. I just read to her out loud what Harry Reid said. Her response?

"That's economic voodoo."

I love my wife. I...the exact opposite of love...the progressives.

/TOA

So you do not think that light should be shed on these exorbitant prices, which could be treated as an anti trust
issue...

do you own stock in vasoline?

Conservatives, afraid of light and enlightenment

Don't tax me, but you can bone me, and charge me for it all day long,

Baby!

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 09:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Janky Red

OK, so a company makes a product. That product is sold for $100. The taxes this company has to pay amount to $10.

The entity that's responsible for levying taxes says, "You aren't paying enough in taxes. You now have to pay $20."

One wonders if that company is going to swallow that cost because they are philanthropists. You figure that out. Once you have, come back and explain it to us.

/TOA

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 09:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Old American

OK, so a company makes a product. That product is sold for $100. The taxes this company has to pay amount to $10.

The entity that's responsible for levying taxes says, "You aren't paying enough in taxes. You now have to pay $20."

One wonders if that company is going to swallow that cost because they are philanthropists. You figure that out. Once you have, come back and explain it to us.

/TOA

You are setting up a false dynamic, the first question is to determine if there is fraudulent, illegal market making practices being employed. You tell me who sets the price of oil? Gee what happened in 2008???

It would be nice if yall learned how to read an article too -

Shared success

you guys are out of touch

But two different studies concluded the bill would have no affect on gas prices.

A report from the nonpartisan Congressional Research Service found that eliminating the $21 in tax breaks would affect gas prices neither positively nor negatively.

"The price of oil is determined on world markets and tends not to be sensitive to small cost variations experienced in regional production areas," the CRS said last week.

A different study published by Congress’s Joint Economic Committee also found that eliminating tax breaks “will not affect the output or price of crude oil or natural gas.”

“Eliminating these subsidies for the major oil and gas producers is unlikely to affect production decisions in the near term and, thus, is not likely to have any impact on consumer prices for gasoline and natural gas in the immediate future,” the report stated.

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 09:36 PM
link   
reply to post by The Old American

Then anyone that sells anything should get tax breaks and tax subsidies or else they might charge you more for it?

How about this for you libertarians.
Tax the gas companies. Let them raises prices. Then I get to decided whether or not to buy gas rather than just have my money taxed and given to the oil companies.

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 10:25 PM
link   

Hmmmm,
Your post seems pretty good. Mind if I use it? Of course I will need to change a couple of things........

Your whole post makes you sound like a government shill, why do you feel the need to defend them???

Hofmeister of Shell Oil Stated under oath in 2008, that oil could be refined and transported, with

room for profit at $40 -$60 a barrel... and if "The Big Five" were the only producers, that would be great.

In truth they only represent a very small portion of the worlds oil producers. How brain washed are you?

Really I don't get why you guys cannot feel angry at people who take and extort your money, if it is

under the auspices of GOVERNMENT. Can you explain the BIG GOVERNMENT worship to me?

It is not intelligent it does not seem to account for self preservation either.

Janky? Do you work for the government? I heard they had paid trolls but I did not think to meet one

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 11:40 PM
link   

Hmmmm,
Your post seems pretty good. Mind if I use it? Of course I will need to change a couple of things........

Your whole post makes you sound like a government shill, why do you feel the need to defend them???

Hofmeister of Shell Oil Stated under oath in 2008, that oil could be refined and transported, with

room for profit at $40 -$60 a barrel... and if "The Big Five" were the only producers, that would be great.

In truth they only represent a very small portion of the worlds oil producers. How brain washed are you?

Really I don't get why you guys cannot feel angry at people who take and extort your money, if it is

under the auspices of GOVERNMENT. Can you explain the BIG GOVERNMENT worship to me?

It is not intelligent it does not seem to account for self preservation either.

Janky? Do you work for the government? I heard they had paid trolls but I did not think to meet one

No but the government works for the corporations you seem to be defending, that is the ultimate irony here.

I am for balance, it just so happens that in this instance big business needs to be brought back in the fold.

Big government and big corporations can be addressed more fully once elections are publicly financed.

Did you like learning that two separate sources discounted your theory on regional pricing?

I bet you will pretend you never heard such a thing, only to carry the bucket again, sadly

You need balance, it is foolish to defend the oligarchy like you do

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 11:47 PM
link   
well for the clueless

the government subsidizes just about every business in this country.

banks
agriculture
automotive.
you name it.
and yeah oil.

but you take subsidies away from any given industry and the prices will go up and thats given.

democrats have no clue what it takes to run any business thats why the majority of them dont own one all they do it whine about how much people make and whine they dont have enough.

oil has a finite supply and it takes risk and it takes billions to find it and bring it to market and when people say big oil do not pay enough taxes blah blah blah its garbage.

the majority of oil comes from offshore thats a fact and the thought never occurs to what they are paying other people to get that oil and bring it here.

reid is stupid they all are

does this really surprise anyone?

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 03:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by neo96
well for the clueless

banks
agriculture
automotive.
you name it.
and yeah oil.

but you take subsidies away from any given industry and the prices will go up and thats given.

democrats have no clue what it takes to run any business thats why the majority of them dont own one all they do it whine about how much people make and whine they dont have enough.

oil has a finite supply and it takes risk and it takes billions to find it and bring it to market and when people say big oil do not pay enough taxes blah blah blah its garbage.

the majority of oil comes from offshore thats a fact and the thought never occurs to what they are paying other people to get that oil and bring it here.

reid is stupid they all are

does this really surprise anyone?

he point is not that we pay

It is that we are being ripped off

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 07:58 AM
link   

You are absolutely right. We are being ripped of off.
As I stated before the oil companies make roughly 6 cents off of every gallon of gas while the government makes around 40 cents per gallon. There is your rip off.

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 11:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by neo96
well for the clueless

banks
agriculture
automotive.
you name it.
and yeah oil.

You honestly believe that I should be taxed to subsidize any industry rather than choose whether or not to pay the high price for it myself? I would have thought you would have been a free market/lower taxes type of person.

I find it so strange the people that are saying I should automatically pay taxes to keep oil prices down instead of decide for myself whether or not I want to pay for oil. Explain that to me.

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 11:36 AM
link   

You are absolutely right. We are being ripped of off.
As I stated before the oil companies make roughly 6 cents off of every gallon of gas while the government makes around 40 cents per gallon. There is your rip off.

Do you believe that oil companies are hurting right now? Why do you feel the need to protect them and their profits with everyone else's tax dollars?

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 12:00 PM
link   
Just a quick question for any of you, do you think these tax breaks affect the price of gas at the station forecourt, or affect the amount of dividend that shareholders are paid?

makes me laugh how people can defend these oil companies, their profits are obscene

HOUSTON—Exxon Mobil Corp. said Thursday its first-quarter earnings surged 69% as it benefited from high oil prices, stronger refining margins and a jump in natural-gas production. Other oil companies also reported soaring profits. The results for Exxon, the world's largest publicly traded oil company, reflected a continued recovery from the recession for the broader energy sector, which appears poised for a return toward the boom that preceded the 2008 financial collapse. But the robust earnings also coincide with sharp increases in gasoline prices, which have triggered concern among consumers and elected officials.

Source

Why should the most profitable companies and the most environmentally destructive companies get a tax break?

how many members of the senate and how many members of congress have ties to the oil industry? Answer that question and you automatically answer the above question

They should pay tax on their profits just as every other company does, especially when the products they supply are essential to the running of the country, they have a closed market, people NEED gas, they NEED energy, just as they need food, the market is enforced, they shouldn't get tax breaks just so so millionaire gets even more money from a share dividend

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 12:10 PM
link   
This is pretty simple.
Raise taxes on a company, the company raises the price of goods to cover overhead. Companies are not here and operational just to occupy a building and employee people. The sole purpose of any company is to make a profit.
It is not the say of Govt or random people as to what said profit can be.
If you don't want to pay the prices, don't buy the product.

Anyone rallying behind raising taxes on businesses, has never ran a business.

new topics

<<   2  3 >>

join