It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Will the us? Take the Radioactive Rods From Fukushima?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 07:31 PM
link   

TextUnder the Non-Proliferation Treaty (NPT), signed by Japan in 1970, Washington's negotiators stipulated that used nuclear fuel from Japanese reactors must by law be shipped to the United States for storage or reprocessing to prevent the development of an atomic bomb. Washington has been unable to fulfill its treaty obligations to Tokyo due to the public outcry against the proposed Yucca Mountain storage facility near Las Vegas.
Wow
where do you think it will end up! What third wold country, from the looks of this article the mongolian
people will be dealing with this for the next 700 million years...

TextThe decommissioning of the Fukushima 1 nuclear plant is delayed by a single problem: Where to dispose of the uranium fuel rods? Many of those rods are extremely radioactive and partially melted, and some contain highly lethal plutonium.

Besides the fissile fuel inside the plant's six reactors, more than 7 tons of spent rods have to be removed to a permanent storage site before workers can bury the Fukushima facility under concrete. The rods cannot be permanently stored in Japan because the country's new waste storage centers on the northeast tip of Honshu are built on unsuitable land. The floors of the Rokkasho reprocessing facility and Mutsu storage unit are cracked from uneven sinking into the boggy soil. Entombment of the rods inside the Fukushima 1 reactors carries enormous risks because the footing of landfill cannot support the weight of the fuel rods in addition to the reactors and cooling water inside the planned concrete containment walls. The less reactive spent fuel would have to be kept inside air-cooled dry casks. The powerful earthquakes that frequently strike the Tohoku region will eventually undermine the foundations, causing radioactive wastewater to pour unstoppably into the Pacific Ocean. The rods must therefore go to another country.
here is the link for th full article.www.rense.com...
edit on 17-5-2011 by mkkkay because: forgot link

edit on 17-5-2011 by mkkkay because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 07:38 PM
link   
reply to post by mkkkay

i will. Just pay me a large sum of money that i can give to my family and i will go die and do it.

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 07:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by pavelivanov22
reply to post by mkkkay

i will. Just pay me a large sum of money that i can give to my family and i will go die and do it.

The article speaks of storage.. it will last 700 million years..
if mongolia takes it, only goverment will get the $, 12 billion dollars = 17$ a year for 700 million years...

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 10:09 PM
link   
You have got to be freaking kidding me!!! The "NEW" processing and storage sites in Japan have fractures in the foundation because of the unsettling of the land??? What NUMBNUT designed this modern solution??? Are there any serious adults in leadership here on Earth, or have we been ruled by the flunkies from grade school that bought their way into power???
And for all the sheeple saying Nuclear power is the best option, screw all the tree-huggers and anti-nukers, let's start by storing this stuff in your house, your families' houses, and all your friends' houses', and their families' houses, too!!!!! Got the picture yet??? We won't be alive, or in good enough shape, to "enjoy" the "benefits" of nuclear power because it is going to poison us for thousands of generations!!!

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 11:19 PM
link   
reply to post by mkkkay

There is probably nowhere in all of Japan that's safe. The entire string of Japanese islands were formed by tectonic plate collisions, subduction, and unstable ground subject to Earthquakes, tsunamis, etc.

Likewise, Yucca mountain has proven to be an unstable storage site in the USA. The only way I know to dispose of it is to build a floating launch site in the middle of the pacific, and send it on a rocket into the sun. This would cost a fortune but anything else we do is going to cost a fortune too, and no more nuclear plants should be licensed anywhere in the world until they figure out what to do with the waste, and figure out how to make sure containments don't leak like Japan's is leaking.

Decades ago when the current plants were licensed, we thought we'd figure out how to dispose of it someday (like Yucca mountain), but we haven't.

I have no idea where it's going to end up, really. But I'm pretty sure the US could get out of the responsibility for a molten mass of a core meltdown, they only agreed to take undamaged used fuel rods, right?

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 12:26 AM
link   
Molten mass of a core meltdown can be broken down with a chemical leaching process then the products stored or vitrified with glass and stored.

The chemical leaching process is very much like the process used to refine uranium from its ores.

www.britannica.com...

All of this is old tech and its just a process of setting up and doing it.

Japan has a plant to do this already being built and will be ready for this material

www.fepc.or.jp...

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 05:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by ANNED
Molten mass of a core meltdown can be broken down with a chemical leaching process then the products stored or vitrified with glass and stored.

The chemical leaching process is very much like the process used to refine uranium from its ores.

www.britannica.com...

Japan has a plant to do this already being built and will be ready for this material

www.fepc.or.jp...

It looks fine on paper but the article is before the earthquake.
the installations are now damedged, and will have to go to an other country.

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 06:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by mkkkay

Originally posted by ANNED

www.britannica.com...

www.fepc.or.jp...

It looks fine on paper but the article is before the earthquake.
the installations are now damedged, and will have to go to an other country.

They can move the installations to Okinawa or put the equipment on barges and move it to Okinotorishima atoll if need be. There are places they can do the process one way or another.

top topics

join