It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lotto Millionaire Still Using Food Stamps

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 08:45 PM
link   
So here's a thought.

You all think that the Government taxing 50% on $2 million is a "ridiculous amount of money". I think just about everyone is in agreement here.

So therefore, would you think it's unreasonable that people making $360,000 a year should pay more than 35% in taxes? After all, they're giving the Government more than a third of their income and you thought it was ridiculous that this guy gave up half.

Disclaimer - I am definitely NOT included in the highest tax bracket in ANY country. I'm a regular wage slave, just like you. I live in one of the United Nations' top 20 most expensive cities in the world, and make a 5 figure salary.

Lots of people want to stop tax cuts for the rich, but the sort of talk that "taking 50% of someone's lottery winnings is ridiculous" gives the richest Americans fodder for their arguments.

If 50% tax for a guy with $2 million that he didn't have before is riduculous, what should be a tax rate for someone with $5 million, $10 million, $100 million, $1 billion, $10 billion ?

Of course, if you agree that the rich should pay less, then that shortfall would be made up somewhere. 1% reduction on an income of $10 billion takes an awful lot more than a 1% increase on a million people's incomes to cover.

It's time that you stopped and thought about what you were saying about taxes.

The only true fair tax is a flat national sales tax. The rich pay more, as they buy more.. Corporations would pay sales taxes as they still need to buy stuff to run the corporation. Illegal immigrants pay taxes because they need to buy stuff. Native Americans pay taxes cause they need to buy stuff.

With a flat national sales tax, everyone pays the same percentage, based on how much you buy. You buy more? Pay more tax. Period.

Of course, if you want to save money, you would be able to as there is no income tax on money that you don't spend.

This guy's $2 million would be tax free, until he went to buy stuff. If he chose to save it, he'd still have $2 million.

Ron Paul 2012 !
edit on 17-5-2011 by babybunnies because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 08:50 PM
link   
reply to post by InvisibleObserver

Hmmmmm I'd say it's frigging wrong as HELL since hmmm let me see I have absolutely NO INCOME whatsoever and can't even get food stamps to help. Yeah I am not in Michigan, but I am sure there are some millionaire lotto winners in Florida still swiping their Food Stamps cards too!!!! Deplorable. They should be glad I don't live in Michigan cause I'd be raising hell if I did!
edit on 17-5-2011 by ldyserenity because: space bar

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 09:39 PM
link   
Indeed a flaw or not asking for enough info on forms? I thought when people apply they have to add their bank account and or money in hand, plus other resources. In some places I hear, if you own a car that's worth over a couple hundred bucks or even go to college-unless you work too, you cannot apply. Yet, he gets away with that...
If I won that kinda money I'd be donating to food banks, shelters, etc, not taking from the people in need!

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 09:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by dreamingawake
Indeed a flaw or not asking for enough info on forms? I thought when people apply they have to add their bank account and or money in hand, plus other resources. In some places I hear, if you own a car that's worth over a couple hundred bucks or even go to college-unless you work too, you cannot apply. Yet, he gets away with that...
If I won that kinda money I'd be donating to food banks, shelters, etc, not taking from the people in need!

And that's because you're one of the few people in this world who aren't under the entitlement beleif.

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 02:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by babybunnies
So here's a thought.

You all think that the Government taxing 50% on $2 million is a "ridiculous amount of money". I think just about everyone is in agreement here.

So therefore, would you think it's unreasonable that people making $360,000 a year should pay more than 35% in taxes? After all, they're giving the Government more than a third of their income and you thought it was ridiculous that this guy gave up half.

Disclaimer - I am definitely NOT included in the highest tax bracket in ANY country. I'm a regular wage slave, just like you. I live in one of the United Nations' top 20 most expensive cities in the world, and make a 5 figure salary.

Lots of people want to stop tax cuts for the rich, but the sort of talk that "taking 50% of someone's lottery winnings is ridiculous" gives the richest Americans fodder for their arguments.

If 50% tax for a guy with $2 million that he didn't have before is riduculous, what should be a tax rate for someone with $5 million, $10 million, $100 million, $1 billion, $10 billion ?

Of course, if you agree that the rich should pay less, then that shortfall would be made up somewhere. 1% reduction on an income of $10 billion takes an awful lot more than a 1% increase on a million people's incomes to cover.

It's time that you stopped and thought about what you were saying about taxes.

The only true fair tax is a flat national sales tax. The rich pay more, as they buy more.. Corporations would pay sales taxes as they still need to buy stuff to run the corporation. Illegal immigrants pay taxes because they need to buy stuff. Native Americans pay taxes cause they need to buy stuff.

With a flat national sales tax, everyone pays the same percentage, based on how much you buy. You buy more? Pay more tax. Period.

Of course, if you want to save money, you would be able to as there is no income tax on money that you don't spend.

This guy's $2 million would be tax free, until he went to buy stuff. If he chose to save it, he'd still have $2 million.

Ron Paul 2012 !
edit on 17-5-2011 by babybunnies because: (no reason given)

I agree with higher taxes for the people earning vasts amounts more than the average person. But that's not what we're talking about here.

It's the fact that it was prize winnings, rather than a sustainable, constant income. If it was a guy on a large salary, paying high tax then I think everyone would agree he shouldn't be able to claim the stamps.

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 02:40 AM
link   
I think I read somewhere that we should try to limit one sentence posts however what else is there to say except LOL.......

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 02:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by buster2010

Originally posted by TrueInstinct
Considering $1,000,000 was taken from him? Then yeah, of course he has the right to.

He still had a million left over didn't he? I think he should have to repay every cent he has used from the time he won the money. Food stamps are for people who don't have the money to buy food not some ahole who cries about having to pay taxes on some money he won. And to his caseworker I would hand them a broom and say welcome to your new job.

Umm, no. If illegal immigrants can get food stamps then someone who just paid a million dollars in taxes(half of his net worth!) should qualify.

Please remember that the 1 million dollars isn't a renewable resource. If he runs out he runs out, so he has to budget within his means. Heck a million dollars isn't even enough to retire on anymore.

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 02:59 AM
link   

Considering $1,000,000 was taken from him? Then yeah, of course he has the right to.
can't believe they taxed him on his winnings..in the UK all winnings are tax free,not that I've won anything

edit on 06/-05004/2011 by sitchin because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 02:59 AM
link   

This guy has a point. Essentially, he's paying the state to buy his food for him.

But of course it doesn't make sense. If I had plenty of money I wouldn't rely on a government to help me buy food. Or if the government wouldn't cancel the card, I'd donate the food I bought with it.

People have odd considerations about money, and about what's right and wrong.

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 03:54 AM
link   
I think there is more to this than meets the eye surely.
If the guy bough himself a house and paid off his life debts, bought himself a car and just things that everyone has, then it's obvious that what was left is what he was assessed on.
And what money that was left was obviously low enough for him to be within the cash limits of being eligible to still use his card.

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 04:53 PM
link   
Turns out this story came out after an investigation of Bridge Card fraud and abuse. Changes will be made soon.

MICHIGAN (NEWSCHANNEL 3) – Newschannel 3's I-Team investigation into Bridge Card abuse is exposing more gaps in the system.

On Monday, State Representative Dave Agema announced that a millionaire is still using his Bridge Card. The Saginaw man won two million dollars in the state lottery in the summer of 2010 and is still drawing taxpayer money.

Our I-Team also shined a light on college students and vacationers abusing the system. From lottery winners using the cards, to the cards being used out of state, we've heard from a lot of viewers outraged by the flaws in the system, and we're also continuing to hear from DHS about the changes it plans to address the abuse of Bridge Cards.

After the I-Team showed how millions were being spent with Michigan Bridge Cards in Florida, California, Nevada and Hawaii, the Department of Human Services says it's making changes.

DHS Deputy Director Brian Rooney says a new automated system will be in place by the summer of 2011 and fully operational by November. It will be an automated way to track Bridge Card use and make sure someone is not using food stamps from more than one state.

www.wwmt.com...

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 04:59 PM
link   

Do you think its right for this man to continue to get State aid? NO

Should he willingly give up his Bridge Card if the State continues to allow him to use it? YES

And does this point out a major flaw in the system? YES

What are your thoughts on this? my thoughts on this is why you did not ask if it were right to be taxed 1 million 50% of the orignal 2 million.

i would make him pay back everything he had also from the period of winning the 2 million untill finding out about it, although with 1 million in tax i think he did that 100 times over maybe more.
edit on 18-5-2011 by lifeform11 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 05:01 PM
link   
reply to post by l_e_cox

The point is I also paid into this S$@#$ A@# system too since I was 16 I have paid up until 2009 and I now have no income and cannot recieve help. How is that fair? Yet I'll still be paying when I work again for the same losers to keep collecting. I have no choice in the matter, I can claim 50 dependants and they will still take out of my damn pay for medicaid/medicare and welfare taxes. I have no choice unless I ask to get paid under the table!!!! Yet when I need the help they'd as soon spit on me!!!!

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 05:05 PM
link   

A million in taxes? Sounds like this guy (unlike many others) has paid for them!

(P.S., what a cheapskate though.)

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 06:57 PM
link   
Some info on the Michigan Lottery Tax.

Prizes over $5,000: For any Michigan Lottery prize over $5,000, the Lottery is generally required to withhold an estimated 25 percent in federal tax and 4.35 percent in state tax.

These withholdings do not necessarily satisfy a winner's tax liability; they are simply estimates. We recommend that all winners contact the IRS, Michigan Department of Treasury and trusted tax professionals to determine whether additional tax payments will be required.

www.michigan.gov...

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 07:04 PM
link   
Well with that argument, we should give all the super rich food stamps because they pay more tax.
Give me a break. Those stamps are there because you can NOT afford food. Tax payers dollars. Yes he paid a tax. So do we all. It is Assistance, not a gift.

One thing has nothing to do with another. When he bought that lottery ticket he agreed to the rules of paying taxes if he won...

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 07:11 PM
link   

a million dollars today is like 100k 15 years ago.

This is so incorrect, I just had to say something. 1 million in 2011 dollars is equal to $677,616.43 in 1995 dollars according to www.usinflationcalculator.com...

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 10:51 AM
link   
Sigh...the problem with America....sore losers and envy for the wrong people, misplaced hatred.

This guy is simply doing what corporations in America do. He's doing what capitalism has taught him. Many of you condemning him, call others leaches and thieves when it's suggested that corporations shouldn't be allowed to still "receive foodstamps".

The oil industry is crying like a baby because their taxes maybe raised, and they made billions in profit!

Are any of you now ready to denounce capitalism?

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 10:57 AM
link   
And everybody wonders why the poor spend their money on gambling

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 11:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by DZAG Wright
Are any of you now ready to denounce capitalism?

You have shown me the light!

I rebuke thee, oh swine of thy labor. Capitolism, thou hast forsaken mine debts. And though thou art kind, with thine low APR, I still rebuke thee!

Ug, we have adult babies in California taking up SSI. And now this fellow and food stamps...

Though, I can see the argument: "State took money from him."

This be a tough one for me mateys, arrg that beast capitolism again methinks.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join