It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gov. Walker moves to ban hospitals from allowing same sex partners from visiting each other

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 12:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by thisguyrighthere
I never understood why there were ever any visitation rules to begin with.

If you want to visit me come visit me.

If I dont want you there I'll press the little button and ask that you be removed.

Why are there visiting rules at all? Let alone "laws." What kind of nonsense is that?

I imagine that there are rules for visitation so that while you're incapacitated, some thug can't just walk in, pretend he's your friend, and then finish you off in your hospital bed.

There should be rules for visitation, but those rules shouldn't deny someone the right for visitation just because they aren't "family" in the traditional sense. Maybe every person should designate certain individuals as their go-to people. For example in case I'm in the hospital, I will allow my family, my best friends John Smith and Jane Doe, and my trusted neighbor to visit me. I don't want the hospital to allow just anyone to walk in. If I can't grant permission to the nurses to let you in, they'll have to make that choice based on my list of people or my previously specified wishes. If I specify "I don't care who you let in, short of a shady guy sporting a butcher knife", let them in! If I specify "these are the ONLY people I want you to let in", then I would expect the nurses to follow those wishes. Racism, sexism, hate and bigotry are outdated. Anyone trying to win office on those platforms should be voted OUT.

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 12:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by beezzer

So you give me an article that is supposed to show how we all think the same?
BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Wake up and smell the coffee, Scooter. The only ones that follow talking points and a lock-step that'd make a nazi proud are the progs who don't say "boo" until they get the okay from HuffPoo first!

If you're too blind to see the neocons and figures on the "right" who do the same to supposed conservatives than you're just as bad as them, bro.

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 01:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpectreDC

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Wake up and smell the coffee, Scooter. The only ones that follow talking points and a lock-step that'd make a nazi proud are the progs who don't say "boo" until they get the okay from HuffPoo first!

If you're too blind to see the neocons and figures on the "right" who do the same to supposed conservatives than you're just as bad as them, bro.

Sure the GOP does it, but not with the fervor of the government-luvin' left! T'is why I'm an Indy.

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 01:27 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

An independent-thinking person wouldn't fall into sniping matches about which party is worse, because they would understand that there is only one party. You may be an Indy, but you're still a partisan if you persist in supporting the lie of two parties.

The only difference between Dem and Pub on gay issues is image. The practical reality of corruption and tyranny is the same. As it is with all issues.

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 01:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpectreDC

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Sure the GOP does it, but not with the fervor of the government-luvin' left! T'is why I'm an Indy.

Scooter, you are only fooling yourself if you think you are an Indy. You are a GOP/TPM apologist just like you did in this thread; I've read plenty of your threads and post to know that you are no "indy" And finger pointing at the other guy is no argument at all.
I'm a left leaning indy and damn proud of it!! All you control freaks that want to legislate my personal life can go to hell because ultimately that is what the GOP/TPM/Christian conservative ideologues, wants to do. And before you paint me with your broad rightwing brush; I'm as disgusted with Obama as any conservative.

And cut/pasting from the Limbaugh Letter doesn't serve you well. Indy

edit on 18-5-2011 by whaaa because: where's DD

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 05:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by RicoMarston
Originally posted by The Old American
Don't get me wrong here, because while I don't personally support same-sex marriage (under my own legislation, the "It's Icky" Act) I would not vote against it. If two people love each other, and want to spend the rest of their life together, then they should be allowed to...if the state allows it.

That being said:

In 2006, 60% of state voters signed off on changing the constitution to ban gay marriage and a "legal status identical or substantially similar to marriage" for same-sex couples.

It looks like if they want this changed, they're going to have to get the people to vote differently. It's pretty specific that "civil unions" or "domestic partnerships" are covered under that legislation. It sucks, and it's backwoods hicksville, but there it is. Unless I'm reading it wrong, of course.

/TOA

you act as though the People organized the vote in the first place. where were the teeming masses clamoring for legislation against gays? they weren't there. this issue was forced onto the american people by a very small, very religious minority. the people who turn out to vote do not represent an unbiased cross-section of the true society, but rather the most ardent advocates of each side.

Forced on them? It was put to a vote of the residents. So the people that wanted to kill that change in the state constitution should've gotten out and voted. But it looks like they didn't. Perhaps if this comes up again they should.

if there was a vote on a law banning ham sandwiches, and i didn't care for them one way or another, i wouldn't vote. if someone DETESTS ham sandwiches to the point that they don't want others eating them, they would support it. the only people who voted against the ban would be avid ham sandwich eaters. so even though the law is wrong and the TRUE majority probably doesn't even care, the ham sandwich is banned.

Using your "ham sandwiches" analogy, after the vote declaring them illegal you would whine about the lack of ham sandwiches and the horrible treatment of them since the "true majority" (which includes you) didn't "get their voices heard" (read: didn't have the time or wherewithal to get out and vote). The "true majority" is the majority that votes. If you don't vote, it's just an opinion. It only matters if you put that opinion to the test and vote with it. Don't blame others for your disinterest and apathy.

it doesn't matter whether the law violates the state constitution, the amendment to the Wisconsin state constitution violates common sense American values. All men are created equal. 'nuff said.

A law was put to the people for a vote. One of two things happened:

1) More people liked the law than didn't, or
2) Enough of the people were too disinterested and apathetic about it enough to not vote. But they sure did whine afterwards, didn't they?

I've said already I think banning gay marriage or domestic partnerships is wrong. But right now the only way to change that is at the state level (as it should be), and by a vote of the majority. It sucks, but it's the law of the land. Don't sit there and say "I don't care about this or that" and don't vote. If you think something's wrong with a law then man up and do something about it.

/TOA

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 07:52 AM
link   
Saw this article get repeated this week in Forbes, they amended the article to reflect it's original posting date;

Wisconsin Governor Scott Walker to Prevent Same-Sex Couples Hospital Visitation Rights

[snip] “Is the GOP hatred for gays so pervasive that they could really be this cold and heartless?”

Walker is literally going out of his way to prevent two people in a loving, committed relationship from visiting one another at the hospital. In other words, at what is quite likely a couple’s darkest hour, Scott Walker wants to impose legal restrictions barring two people from being with one another.

Gotta love how radical "conservative" Republicans try to push Big Government on us, even legislating to keep people who happen to be gay from visiting one another in the hospital. They can't throw this creep out of office fast enough.

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 08:29 AM
link   
Get your ducks in a row if you want to fight fire with fire. I understand not allowing everyone to wander around a hospital, but this is focused on gays.. and I really cant see the sense in this focus for Walker. ANyhoo... here are some things that may be helpful in the event you need them. Check on the laws in your state or just be forced to plan for garbage like us straights.
Personally, I think the govt should stay out of marriage and if they need the documentation, they should call it legal documentation and not marriage license, etc. Should be separate for straights as well in my utopia, but isnt in this country.

www.rainbowlaw.com...
Free legal forms and also legal aid.. if you need specific legal documents that arent in the free section or some special circumstance.

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 08:51 AM
link   
The problem here is not Walker Wisconsin Ranger but the two party system. A republican group is suing because the registries violate a 2006 amendment, and a democratic group is suing because this lawsuit violates a 2009 law. The article even says Walker is askng a judge to rule, so he is not dictating the law, so the problem is not Republican Walker per se, but the Republican and Democrat system. Democracy is the problem. Two groups want different things because they are different types of people, and continuously change the law, thereby over regulating the real majority that want nothing to do with the system and just want to be left alone. The two parties WILL NEVER AGREE because they are fundamentally different. They only serve to keep libertarian views away from the focus of the debate. Republicans want no gays, Democrats want gay rights, independents want neither and are stuck in the middle of this nonsense, so naturally they oppose both sides.

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 10:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lord Jules
The problem here is not Walker Wisconsin Ranger but the two party system. A republican group is suing because the registries violate a 2006 amendment, and a democratic group is suing because this lawsuit violates a 2009 law. The article even says Walker is askng a judge to rule, so he is not dictating the law, so the problem is not Republican Walker per se, but the Republican and Democrat system. Democracy is the problem. Two groups want different things because they are different types of people, and continuously change the law, thereby over regulating the real majority that want nothing to do with the system and just want to be left alone. The two parties WILL NEVER AGREE because they are fundamentally different. They only serve to keep libertarian views away from the focus of the debate. Republicans want no gays, Democrats want gay rights, independents want neither and are stuck in the middle of this nonsense, so naturally they oppose both sides.

I agree with the ridiculous 2 party paradigm and if the govt ever ran a successful psyop.. this was the finest and most successful perpetrated on the American people. Its a shame we see do much idolatry on here at ATS and iin the country in general.. the worship of either the elephant or the donkey. They are jealous Gods and demand much...
I have no idea why Im laughing at that...

The other problem is that the people are wanting to be a part of something larger than themselves, because we are told we are nothing and have no voice unless we bow down to one of the 2 idols we have a choice of. SO we label ourselves with this or that badge.. and are not only feeding this nonsense.. we are condemned by it. Not ALL repubs hate gays and not ALL dems are for equal rights for gays. Many independents are homophobes. Its PEOPLE.. not PARTIES and our own decisions on the issues that should define each of us regardless of what label we foolishly paint ourselves with.
Youre painting with the same wide brush that Walker et al are with the condemnation of ALL repubs wanting no gays, which is very much untrue. Independents arent in the middle.. they have VERY strong feelings on issues.. even the ( I feel) completely manufactured gay issue.

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 11:04 AM
link   
This is why I can't believe that Christians are victims of oppression. When they are in power they discriminate against anybody who is a Christian and forces them to hide their identity. Yet, they whine whenever a law is not ruled in their favor that they're being victimized and oppressed by not being allowed to worship whenever and however they please.

It's the Christians and just about any religious people who are the true oppressors.

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 02:45 PM
link   
this will do him a lot of good in the gay vote.
and ever one who is on the gay side.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join