It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do you ever heard of green clouds?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 04:37 PM
link   
Searching for clouds photos in Google, these weird clouds pictures comes up; seems like scientists says that this is a strong indication of an upcoming storm or tornado....

Any insight?

Scott Bachmeier, a research meteorologist at the Cooperative Institute for Meteorological Satellite Studies at UW-Madison, says that particles in the air scatter light. In the day, the particles scatter more violet and blue light, but our eyes are more sensitive to blue light — that’s why the sky appears blue.

Thunderstorms, which can be the home of tornadoes, usually happen later in the day, when the sun is approaching the horizon. That creates a reddish tinge in the sky, as any fan of sunsets knows. But light under a 12-mile high thundercloud is primarily blue, due to scattering by water droplets within the cloud. When blue objects are illuminated with red light, Bachmeier says, they appear green.

Green is significant, but not proof that a tornado is on the way. A green cloud “will only occur if the cloud is very deep, which generally only occurs in thunderstorm clouds,” Bachmeier says. “Those are the kind of storms that may produce hail and tornadoes.” Green does indicate that the cloud is extremely tall, and since thunderclouds are the tallest clouds, green is a warning sign that large hail or a tornado may be present.

source

green clouds

Colorimetric observations of green thunderstorms
edit on 17-5-2011 by elevenaugust because: (no reason given)

edit on 17-5-2011 by elevenaugust because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 04:39 PM
link   
Every time I've experienced a tornado the sky has turned green.

This is definitely something I'll be reading.

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 04:39 PM
link   
i think there will be a green rain soon as it was long back red rain in india...

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 04:41 PM
link   
reply to post by elevenaugust

Tornado clouds!

Very common in the midwest during tornado season.

Some say it is from the very strong updrafts creating ice (hail) in the clouds.

Whatever causes it, it is always associated with bad storms and tornadoes.

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 04:42 PM
link   
Green in the clouds usually indicate hail. And, of course when there is hail, usually a mesocyclone or tornado indicator. Lived in the midwest most of my life and payed very close attention to weather and clouds as was going to be a meterologist.

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 04:42 PM
link   
From my experience, green clouds are an ominous sign of heavy rain, lightning, high winds, tornadoes & hail.

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 04:43 PM
link   
We have evil purple black and blue with some evil yellow tinges here in the UK
before a really bad Thunder storm.

Never seen green clouds though..thankfully.

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 04:45 PM
link   
I've seen these types of clouds more times than I care to recount. They are usually indicative of tornadic weather. Scary, scary stuff.

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 04:47 PM
link   
Back when I was stationed with the Air Force in Dayton, OH I remember us having a doozy of a storm one summer evening formed from 3 fronts colliding, and those clouds were a deep green color. That scared the hell out of me seeing those!

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 04:48 PM
link   
It doesn't really look 'green' to me. It's more like a type of grey hue mixed with the background colors of the bright sky.

Also, sorry to nit pick grammar, but the title is incorrect.

"Have you ever heard of green clouds?" This is grammatically correct.
or
"Do you ever hear of green clouds?" That works also.

'Do you ever' has to be used with a present tense rather than past tense verb.

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 04:50 PM
link   
reply to post by sandesh

dont forget the other colors of rain that have fallen over the centurys
o hear i go again promoting Charles Fort, he best buy me a tot
after all said an done

seriously good pictures op , I love a good thunderstorm

rainingcatsandogsbox

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 04:51 PM
link   
reply to post by muzzleflash

dont you get bored of Pendancy? give the op a break its interesting stuff

funboxed

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 04:53 PM
link   
Happens every Spring down my way, it's a beautiful terrifying sight, cause either one of three things is going to happen, Large hail, Tornadoes, or Flooding. Never like to see that but storms have fascinated me for ages, not to sound all nerdy....okay to sound like greatness I could literally sit outside and watch a thunderstorm for days, it's relaxing minus the damaging parts.

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 04:53 PM
link   

Yes, that is exactly the color the sky turns when there is an approaching tornado. It turns my stomach and I know that I have literally seconds to protect my family, pets and home.

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 05:01 PM
link   

Green clouds are usually the sign of a "supercell" storm.

When the clouds go green, it is time to tie everything down, close windows & doors & stay inside with a warm drink, a torch & a good book (the power usually goes out during these too).

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 05:13 PM
link   

I spent a few months on an Atoll last summer and we also witnessed green clouds reflecting the color of the lagoon.
edit on 02/28/2011 by doyouremember because: don't know how to embedd

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 05:14 PM
link   
Those are just a very dark tint, those are storm clouds, nothing out of the ordinary and nothing about them is different, just a very bad storm.

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 07:02 PM
link   
Here's some info on it. When I lived in Arkansas, I saw this a lot....they have many tornadoes there....it's pretty scary looking too. www.ehow.com...

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 05:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by muzzleflash
It doesn't really look 'green' to me. It's more like a type of grey hue mixed with the background colors of the bright sky.

Also, sorry to nit pick grammar, but the title is incorrect.

"Have you ever heard of green clouds?" This is grammatically correct.
or
"Do you ever hear of green clouds?" That works also.

'Do you ever' has to be used with a present tense rather than past tense verb.

Thanks muzzleflash,

Sorry for the grammar (too late to correct it); but I'm French and still have progress to do in English...

top topics

join