It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

This is not a painting, its an actual photograph.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+4 more 
posted on May, 17 2011 @ 04:34 PM
link   

That orange backdrop? That's a dune reflecting Namibia's rising sun. And while the trees themselves look like etchings of a dream, they're a very real part of one of the country's largest national parks. It's beautiful, it's serene, it's surreal. And it's still almost impossible to believe that the only paintbrush used was nature's.

source:gizmodo.com...
edit on 17-5-2011 by drsfinest72 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 04:38 PM
link   
reply to post by drsfinest72

Surreally beautiful, but I wonder what the light splotches are in the orange sky?
Yea, I would have guessed painting too.

Peace,
spec

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 04:38 PM
link   

I'd like to see what it looks like without the sun being reflected.

It's hard to imagine what it really looks like.

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 04:39 PM
link   
Everyone is missing out if they don't look at the photos in the link. This photog is a great talent and a lucky man to have seen and photographed these things. Thanks OP

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 04:40 PM
link   

Oh oh...

I can almost see it as a big wall of lava heading towards a snowy landscape.

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 04:41 PM
link   
The light patches in the "orange sky" are dried vegetation. The orange is sand, Looks like desert surface from an aerial view.

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 04:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Serizawa

I'm confused, so the orange is sand and not sky? Is this actual pictures that have been combined /arranged to create this?

spec

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 04:44 PM
link   

Sorry for posting again, but here's a link to more photographs from the same artist:

Image results for Frans Lanting

Here's one I liked:

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/b82e0f02a8da.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 04:46 PM
link   
Yes, the orange is sand. Apparently somehow it reflects things in that way to produce the effect. I've never seen or investigated sand dunes, so I can't explain it.

Originally posted by speculativeoptimist
reply to post by Serizawa

I'm confused, so the orange is sand and not sky? Is this actual pictures that have been combined /arranged to create this?

spec

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 04:47 PM
link   
reply to post by speculativeoptimist

The orange is sand. Imagine you were in a helicopter looking down at the desert, Ignore the trees and the white sand below them. Do you see it now?

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 04:49 PM
link   

Can trees grow on sand dunes? It makes more sense to say the photographer was standing on a sand dune with trees hence the white sand and took a picture of the ground below him?

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 04:53 PM
link   
The trees are on flat surface the dune is rising up behind them. Hope that helps

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 04:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Astr0

Why is the dune orange with vegetation when the sand he is standing on is white with no reflection and no vegetation except a bunch of dead trees? I'm confused

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 05:01 PM
link   
I looked at his other pics, which are very nice, but none have the qualities of this one, which leads me to believe, while they are actual photos, they have been arranged as such. It's the only sense I can make of it, becasue of the scale disparages involved. Just taking a stab here...

spec

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 05:02 PM
link   

The trees seem to be on the sand dune with the camera pointing to the ground below the sand dune. Take a look at the pic I linked.

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 05:29 PM
link   
The sun is just coming up (or going down?) and just hasn't hit the spot where the trees are yet. It's hitting the sand hill w/bushes behind it.. but not the flat spot where the photographer is standing.. so he's taking a picture through the sunless land, towards the sand hill which is lit up with the sun, therefore making it appear to be orange.

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 05:31 PM
link   
Camera with graphic effects..

No way that's a "natural photo".

I'll never believe it.

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 05:38 PM
link   
Do i really have to embed the picture for people to take a look? It is a real photo all you have to do is click on the link I posted before.

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 05:40 PM
link   
I also do not believe this to be a natural photograph. And I have studied the picture on the NatGeo website. It doesn't look any more natural there than it does in the OP's article. I vote manipulated image, not an untouched one.

I'm not saying this isn't a spectacular image. Manipulated or not, it's strange and unique. I merely doubt it is untouched.
edit on 5/17/2011 by Nyiah because: added clarification

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 05:43 PM
link   
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/042c060e85c0.jpg[/atsimg]

Picture yourself standing by that tree and taking a picture of the ground. This has nothing to do with the sun, The dune is white sand. The dune in this picture is more orange in colour.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join