It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cell phone towers may be ultimate cause of honeybee population collapse

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 04:28 PM
link   
People, your cell phones are killing a organism that we rely on heavily to produce our foods. Do you want expensive food or not. This is a choice we will all have to make. You should also know that cell phones break your dna strands causing cancer. namaste

Efforts to understand the cause of the honeybee population collapse (sometimes called "Colony Collapse Disorder") have so far pointed to pesticides, air pollution and even GMOs. All of those are no doubt important factors, but new research carried out at the Swiss Federal Institute of Technology may have unveiled the real key: Cell phone signals.

How cell towers cause honeybee hives to collapse

Researcher Daniel Favre and his colleagues performed 83 experiment recording the reaction of honeybees to cell phones in their off state, standby state or active talking state. It turns out that when cell phones are in their "active" state (sending or receiving signals), honeybees are strongly disoriented and suffer from widespread miscommunication that causes them to stop seeking out food and begin swarming.

www.naturalnews.com...://www.fourwinds10.com/siterun_data/environment/agriculture_gardening/news.php? q=1305649864l

www.fourwinds10.com...
edit on 17-5-2011 by MIDNIGHTSUN because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 04:39 PM
link   
reply to post by MIDNIGHTSUN

Very interesting. I've actually been thinking to myself a lot lately about the causes of mass die offs occurring throughout the world and the seemingly increased incidents that have been occurring. Not just with the bees, but many migratory animals and insects. Some attribute it to hyper awareness of our digital age, and that these things are normal, which I am not so quick to buy into.

Thing is, there's been many reports/studies about how migratory species may be using certain electromagnetic frequencies as a map of sorts. I could only assume that if we humans are polluting the world with all our electromagnetic and radio signals, that could be very harmful to the species of this planet that rely on them.

Good find, S&F for you.

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 04:47 PM
link   
There were just a good deal of bad thing on the earth in the past that didnt seem to bother the bees. Like DDT.

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 04:52 PM
link   

Any Chance of you working for Monsanto?

Sierra Club urges EPA to suspend nicotinyl insecticides

In light of the mounting evidence that the nicotinyl insecticides (also known as neonicotinoids) are deadly to bees, the Sierra Club today reaffirmed its call for a U.S. moratorium on these powerful pesticides to protect our bees and crops, until more study can be done.

Do just a smidgeon of research and find what many other nations have already discovered.

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 04:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by EyeHeartBigfoot

Any Chance of you working for Monsanto?

Sierra Club urges EPA to suspend nicotinyl insecticides

In light of the mounting evidence that the nicotinyl insecticides (also known as neonicotinoids) are deadly to bees, the Sierra Club today reaffirmed its call for a U.S. moratorium on these powerful pesticides to protect our bees and crops, until more study can be done.

Do just a smidgeon of research and find what many other nations have already discovered.

Cell phone and pesticides are both the problem, maybe more

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 04:58 PM
link   
Ironically, Monsanto has developed seeds that no longer depend on bees for pollination:

...seed cleaners are being targeted by Monsanto, reportedly because we are trying to “remove access to normal, open pollinated seeds”–...so farmers will be forced to buy our patented, biotech seeds.

Seed Cleaners and Monsanto

Before you try to debunk, please note that the above link comes directly from Monsanto.

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 05:03 PM
link   

We had bees this year in a place that had a hive three years ago. They were active early but now are gone.

Question....why do the large amount of carpenter bees on the property seem uneffected. They are back in mass evey year.

There has also been a very large drop in the number of yellow jacket bee around here over the past few years. Just dont see the large numbers anymore.

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 05:04 PM
link   

Agreed, it is a combined problem of both and possibly much more.

Is there a solution?

It is not known if this is an actual quote but from the recollection of his colleagues, it is something he felt strongly about:

"If the bee disappeared off the surface of the globe then man would only have four years of life left." - Albert Einstein14 March 1879 – 18 April 1955)

Regards,

t

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 05:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by EyeHeartBigfoot

Agreed, it is a combined problem of both and possibly much more.

Is there a solution?

It is not known if this is an actual quote but from the recollection of his colleagues, it is something he felt strongly about:

"If the bee disappeared off the surface of the globe then man would only have four years of life left." - Albert Einstein14 March 1879 – 18 April 1955)

Regards,

t

I agree, nature represents the health of the planet to sustain life.

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 05:10 PM
link   
reply to post by EyeHeartBigfoot

I garden every year and pay close atention. Close enough to see that there are a number of other bees that work the flowers and get the job done.

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 05:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Logarock
reply to post by EyeHeartBigfoot

I garden every year and pay close atention. Close enough to see that there are a number of other bees that work the flowers and get the job done.

good for you for gardening, growing your own food would free us from the supermarkets, which they would hate. They work hand and hand with gmo in disguise.

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 08:34 AM
link   

This is a great alternative explanation worth investigating! But the links you provided didn't have the original source and I was really curious to read the actual study.

Soo I did some digging on google scholar and found the actual paper: journals1.scholarsportal.info...

After reviewing their methods, it seems they went for a really direct approach, they actually put cell phones within the hive and right beside it. That seems like it would cause obvious disturbances. I think it would be better to have done longer-term time sequences and the effects of farther away electromagnetic field strengths. What about the AC electric towers that we see everywhere; those should have some kind of effect on the bees as research shows that bees have magnetite crystals in their fat body cells creating magnetoreceptive systems that let them detect magnetic fields.

This is truly cool stuff and I feel like not enough research like this is carried out. Good find though! _javascript:icon('
')

- dimaryp

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 09:10 AM
link   
This is laughable.

I've had to call exterminators out to get bee hives off of cell towers so I could do my job.

And placing a cell phone in a hive? Come on! You're talking less than 4 watts ERP versus 50-100 watts from a tower.

-edit to add: That 4 watts from the phone is assuming the phone is in use and at the edge of a sector where its full output is required. Otherwise it's more likely to be under 1 watt output. It's quite literally like comparing a night light in the bathroom to a flood light on your porch.

edit on 3/17/2014 by abecedarian because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 09:15 AM
link   

Um, I used cell phones for all my life. No brain damage, no cancers. We live in a bloody city with tons of electromagnetism. Yet our bees are striving, I even had the opportunity to hold a big crawling bumblebee in my hand, it was so cute.

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 10:05 AM
link   
They may contribute, but monsanto and gmo are the reason why this occurred. Their gmo roundup seeds are poison.

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 10:16 AM
link   

EyeHeartBigfoott:

Except he never said that. It's an internet legend.

And, there are no native American bees. The honeybee was imported here. No native American plants require honeybees for pollination.

In addition, Favre's methodology was poor. No one's replicated it, AFAIK. Any time you open a hive, you are going to get the same reaction, cell or no. The reasons for bee hive collapse are likely multifactorial, including parasites, mites, viruses and/or neonicotonoids.

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 01:43 PM
link   

Bedlam
>snip<

And, there are no native American bees. The honeybee was imported here. No native American plants require honeybees for pollination.

In addition, Favre's methodology was poor. No one's replicated it, AFAIK. Any time you open a hive, you are going to get the same reaction, cell or no. The reasons for bee hive collapse are likely multifactorial, including parasites, mites, viruses and/or neonicotonoids.

Quite true that Apis were introduced to the Americas and are not native to these continents, and the archetypal members of that group are native to Asia and Africa, predominantly. But there are members of Apidae, the family to which honey bees are part of, which are native to the Americas, and those tend to be of the 'bumble bee' type. People seem to forget that various species of hornet and wasp also provide similar functions as honey bees do, and they seem to be doing fine.

And I agree that introducing any disturbance to the hive can disrupt the hive in such a way that the hive will collapse, whether cell phone or not. It could be just as easily a Walkman or wallet that causes the hive to fall apart.

My humble opinion is that people came to the Americas, started farming, and brought favorable insects, i.e. the honey bee and such, with them to assist in the farming endeavors. Everything was all good and fine until farming required more water than what was reasonably available causing crops to fail; one has only to drive along I5 in California to see fields that once were bearing crops to see that. With the failure of crops comes the lack of pollen for bees and thus a decline in bee population.

Native insects have not acclimated to, and assimilated with the influx of non-native vegetation growth.

And the above hypothesis is supported by the lack of a corresponding decline in native bee / wasp populations.

top topics

join