It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Geminoid Robot's a Glimpse of the Future

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 03:13 PM
link   

Henrik Scharfe,a professor at the Center for Computer-mediated epistemology at aalborg university in denmark,is the creater of this geminoid robot.

scharfe said using software a human operator's facial expressions and body posture can be mapped onto the robot,it's so realistic it can even blink and simulate breathing.

these movements are made possible with actuators placed in its face,neck,and upper torso.

scharfe wants to use the robot to study how humanoids interact in social situations and how they might influence cultural barriers.

he's also wants to perfect the human-robot interaction by examining subtleties like eye contact,which humans are particularly sensitive to,but is still very difficult for robots to mimic.

the first geminoid summit was held at the advanced telecommunications research institute international (ATR) Japan in March,and geminoid owners around the world attended including the inventor of the geminoid concept,hiroshi ishiguro

so the technologies to make robots more ubiquitous in our daily life,such as bipedal walking,and better navigation and obstacle avoidance,also grasping,and image recognition and speech synthesis are improving rapidly.so when we seriously begin to combine all these technologies we find ourself's at the dawn of the age of humaniod robots...and in 10 to 15 years,we wouldn't know the differents from human or robot,unless we undergo a test.....the film bladerunner could well be a very real glimpse of the future.

the humanoid test

edit on 17-5-2011 by TheMaverick because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 03:19 PM
link   
I don't understand the fascination with making these "realistic" looking robots. I would be far more impressed, and much less creeped out if they stuck to something a little less "human". Maybe drawing the line at something like iRobot.

On a side note; I want mine in blue with a cup holder.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/9939924a8f31.jpg[/atsimg]
edit on 17-5-2011 by Mactire because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 03:21 PM
link   
I hear they are testing one of their flawed models now in Washington, District Of Criminals...his name is Barry Soetoro....don't worry, they say the scars on your skull will go away after a few years...Several pre-modles have malfunctioned and are currently in the Senate and House...they will be replaced at the next election by newer models...

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 03:23 PM
link   
NO WAY! I don't know wether to worry or be happy? It's kind of creepy thinking that soon we won't be able to tell the difference. That is until they start revolting and flinging people into the sun xD

I remember seing the Toyota robot and being mind blown but it didn't even remotely look like a human which was only a few years ago and now THIS!

Awesome find!

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 03:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Mactire

i personally find it a bit unnerving really,these things will get to stage,were we wouldn't notice if they passed us in the street,or served us in a store...

are we creating a monster with these geminoid robots,i tend to think we are.

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 03:34 PM
link   
reply to post by TheMaverick

Exactly. That's why I propose a little legislation in the developement of these things. Keep them as far from human looking as possible.

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 03:45 PM
link   
I'm all in favor of humanoid robotics. I just don't want one with green skin, and named Data. But I will take an Andrea android.

edit on 5/17/2011 by Larryman because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 03:47 PM
link   
The Doctor says in essence he wants to study how they interact as they are less subtle than humans. Who cares how they interact, why are they being made? With the world population hitting 7 billion we hardly need human looking robots, we have people.

Obviously the scientists are extremely clever but to what purpose is this research worth. Obviously its the ideal murder weapon, whilst one sits quietly amongst twenty witnesses and it goes and does the deed. It could be used as a stand-in for a politician but none of these uses would be honest, or are they going to be used for space travel in case we cannot get through the radiation in space?

I find them totally freeky but wonder how the Doc will feel once he has given his second self a mind and voice and it argues with him.

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 04:32 PM
link   

I find them totally freeky but wonder how the Doc will feel once he has given his second self a mind and voice and it argues with him.

If androids are made to be argumentative (to their owner), then their development has gone too far. They would then be as useless and destructive as humans.

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 11:05 PM
link   
Perfect robots to replace people in the fast food industry. Fake as the food

Robots to outsource people in jobs

Kidding aside, they may find human-like robots, exhibiting altruism, etc-as they will exhibit even more human emotion in the future-will be the best robots for the job. Either way, humans loose.

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 03:21 AM
link   
when we see,how far,and fast we are moving into humanoid robots,and how realistic they are at this early stage,you can't help but worry,this will end badly in the future,as no matter how much we try and control,and regulate these humanoid robots,we will never be able to stop the rise of the humanoid robots,as there will always be some corporation,or private inventors,or organizations,creating these behide closed doors.

you can't help but think,humaniod robots is a dangerous game to be playing with,how can we create a creature,that don't need to eat,or breathe,or feel pain,and void of real human emotions...and not be worried,as there are always people out there with nefarious reasons,that will exploit this technology.
edit on 18-5-2011 by TheMaverick because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 03:35 AM
link   
It can only end badly,
I mean if they are only used for good, then it is great, but I am sure it will be weaponized, if it hasn't already been.

Combine that robot with super strength and weapons and good AI, and say it and its buddies somehow see humanity as their enemy, The rise of robots scenario for SHTF scenario seems more real everyday.

top topics

join