It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fukushima Dai-ichi: A Recap So Far.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+12 more 
posted on May, 17 2011 @ 02:55 PM
link   
I thought it was a good idea to make a summary of what happened, and where we at right now.
This is also a summary so some things may be left out.

Personal note: Not a native English speaker so please pardon the little mistakes i might make, also this is my first real thread so I'm still practicing a bit.

Now with that out of the way we can start.
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/80ea368ba113.jpg[/atsimg] Fukushima Dai-ichi nuclear plant before quake.

The First Week:
11 March 2011 a 9.0 magnitude earthquake hit the coast of Honshu, Japan. The earthquake was at a depth of about 24 kilometers (15 miles).
The quake hit the Fukushima Dai-ichi plant hard. Electricity fails, reactors 1, 2 and 3 have automatically shut down because of the quake. Reactors 4, 5 and 6 are not operating at the time for 'maintenance'.

About 45 minutes later a 14mtr(45 ft) tsunami hit the plants seawall wich is overtopped in seconds. The plants backup power(diesel generators), are taken out (all but one).

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/be2468266b7f.jpg[/atsimg]not much later Japan declares a nuclear emergency. The pressure in the reactors build up to dangerous levels. TEPCO decides to vent the hydrogen from the reactors and releasing the radioactive vapors into the air.
And we all know how that turned out, reactors 1, 3 and 4 no longer contain the pressure and have a massive hydrogen explosion.

By the end of the first week the Fukushima Dai-ichi nuclear plant looked like this.
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/1b58ea2a07e7.jpg[/atsimg]

"What do we do now?"

The coming weeks the Japanese autorithies, together with TEPCO are scambling to get a hold on the situation and trying to find a solution. The Problem is that this is the first time anybody has witnessed a distaster like this, with of course the exception of Tsjernobyl, wich was 1 reactor versus the 6 now.
Japan ordered in 35 firetrucks to cool the reactors. Does 139 firefighters are some brave man indeed.

Water was sprayed into the reactor for a total of 7 hours during the day. TEPCO reported afterward that the water had been effective in lowering the temperature around the spent fuel rods to below 100 °C.

"I've got the power!"
Wile one team was fighting to keep the reactors cool, another team was busy trying to get the power back on. And they succeeded, reactors 5 and 6 were connected to the repaired diesel generator and entered cold shutdown. The temparature dropped to normal levels.
Now with reactors 5 and 6 under control Japan could adress it's full attention to the other 4.

As they soon found out:

Officials learn that the crisis will not end with power recovering as the cooling pumps are damaged beyond repair and must be replaced. An emergency order has been placed for new pumps for unit 2 that suffered less damage than the units 1 and 3. Smoke was still rising from units 2 and 3 but was less visible and was theorized to be steam following operations to spray water onto the buildings

The next few days TEPCO sends in several teams to get a closer look and then they make a statement that the radiation is 1 million times over the limit(!) Later that day that statement got retracted saying it was a faulty reading. (yeah sure.)

This is the time the news slows until.....

The Leak:

Radioactive water from Japan's quake-striken Fukushima Daiichi nuclear plant is leaking into the sea, its operator said. The 20cm (8in) crack in a containment pit under reactor two may be the source of recent radiation in coastal waters, Tokyo Electric Power (Tepco) officials said.
Source

The Dump:

Plant operator Tokyo Electric Power Co (TEPCO) was forced on Monday to release low-level radioactive seawater that had been used to cool overheated fuel rods after it ran out of storage capacity for more highly contaminated water. TEPCO said it would release more than 10,000 tonnes of water about 100 times more radioactive than legal limits in order to free storage capacity for more highly contaminated water.
Source

The Plug:

Continued work from yesterday, we have put 6,000 litters of coagulant into the breakage and surrounding ground after investigation of the leakage route by putting tracer into the 9 holes drilled around electrical conduit and the pit. As at 9:30 am, we have been observing there is no leakage of water into the sea from the pit.
Source

It's Official!
April 12 2011 Fukushima is upgraded to INES level 7 the same as Tsjernobyl. What many ATS members suspected was now official.

The ongoing radiological release from the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant has led Japanese authorities to raise the rating of the accident there to Level 7.
Source

From now on almost a total media blakcout, You hear about some enviromental test, radiation levels and some people may enter the 'dead zone' to get some personal belongings. There some videos that surface and I will post does below.

Unit 3

Unit 4

These videos show the spent fuel pools. As you can see there full of rubble.

Saturday 12th of may TEPCO confirms what so many have allready suspected, reactor 1 is in full meltdown. Some say it has been since day one.

One of the reactors at the crippled Fukushima Daiichi power plant did suffer a nuclear meltdown, Japanese officials admitted for the first time today, describing a pool of molten fuel at the bottom of the reactor's containment vessel.
Source

"I have a cunning plan"

This is the latest I've heard about the plan to contain the disaster. Tepco plans to erect a giant polyester tent around unit 1. Now this might help to contain radioactive particulate, but the gamma rays.

The next step is to entomb the units. Just to give you an idea, take a look at the following:
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/429999a26f1a.png[/atsimg]

I think this is far from over, the real damage will be shown in years to come.
Best wishes be upon them.

OnlyLove.

Edit: seems that the formatting looks ok in preview but somethings don't work in the real posts. sorry i have no idea how to fix it

edit on 17/5/2011 by OnlyLove because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 02:59 PM
link   
reply to post by OnlyLove

S & F

I've been saying it since this whole mess started. What they hell took them so long to start entombment? It's like the Japanese didn't want to admit defeat. A lot of garbage would have been prevented from escaping had they entombed much earlier.

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 03:04 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

Agreed, they downplayed it so much they started to believe it. "maybe we can save it?" no we can't! entomb it!
such a shame.

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 03:19 PM
link   
Amazing post! S&F Thank you for this information, so sad but the truth must be told. Thanks!

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 03:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by mileslong54
Amazing post! S&F Thank you for this information, so sad but the truth must be told. Thanks!

Thank you friend,
had a blast making it! now I hope my thread doesn't get burried

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 03:39 PM
link   
Just when you need it you can't find it! I read an article once about how background radiation levels had an effect upon evolution. Considering the consistent raise in the background levels of radiation what the hell is this going to do to us in light of the true geological timescales of evolution rather than the 6,000yr model. Also if we are suspect to radiative effects (at one time only from the sun), how is it going to effect other creatures ie; our food supply. In the argument many lay men forget the rules of evolution apply to our food supplies as well as us. Just how numb nuts are our leadership.
Or is this what they want.
The whole world is poisoned so are you retards!

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 03:42 PM
link   
Nice thread (S&F).

For anyone who wants to keep up with the-goings-on at Fukushima RSOE is likely the best site for it.

hisz.rsoe.hu...

ALS

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 04:43 PM
link   
reply to post by goldentorch

I don't know about the long term effects, I do however have something on short term effects.
Link.

OnlyLove.

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 04:58 PM
link   
Almost laughable that there is more info discussed in this thread alone compared to prime media outlets in America.

People here are clueless....

HELLO EVERYONE THERE IS A NUCLEAR DISASTER GOING ON....

People look @ you like you have 3 heads....

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 05:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Zaanny

People just lost interest, as did the media.
What's important now is: witch dye did osama use for his beard and Haarp being the cause of everything bad in the world.

In 20 years people will see how blind they really were.

OnlyLove.

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 02:30 AM
link   
16 flags, 5 replies sigh.

Ah well I guess.
Next!.

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 03:06 AM
link   
thank you for the nice recap of this disaster (S&F)

Such a shame it has gone this far, and most of it has been kept quiet.

nothing in the MSM for weeks about this...Out of Sight Out of Mind.

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 06:41 AM
link   
I reckon it might pay to mention the reports of diesel generators not being refilled, leading to LOCA (loss of coolant accident) prior to tsunami hitting, plus earthquake damage to the reactor vessel piping and the seawater cooled heat exchanger. Most nuclear reactors in the world are vulnerable to this occuring again - terrorists don't need dirty bombs with these primitive machines!

In addition, #5 and #6 are not all honkey dory, according to outflow radiation measurements there is still much fission and leaking occuring.

Each reactors' set of fuel pools contain much larger amounts of more dangerous waste than the reactors themselves. At least two or three of them have sustained serious damage in their containment abilities, likely leading to molten and aerosolised radiation leaking. You can see fubarium falls leaking down the northern side of building #4 from a hole, onto some large pipes, in the best quality cryptome drone photos.

Entombing won't solve all the problems if the corium is in the bedrock producing high pressure, radioactive steam, or where seep and water channels may exist. It's all sitting on fractured, crumbly sandstone, so many errors have lead to this event occuring.

They need to isolate the water from flowing into the sea and plug water leaks. Assumedly the water is to cool the molten reactor material (corium) and any possible remaining rods and fuel pool assemblies as much as possible. It's pretty much impossible to cool corium in a large lump, as you only cool the surface, without physical dispersion and neutron poison. Using these methods, combined with building an underground containment, including failsafe closed loop cooling around the corium, is the only option I can see remotely working.
edit on 18/5/11 by GhostR1der because: grammauor

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 06:52 AM
link   
reply to post by GhostR1der

Thank you for that information.
Wasn't aware of that, 3 in meldown when will it end? Not for a long long time sadly.

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 07:21 AM
link   
Amazing Thread S & F hope you get more replies you've really done your work and research here nice Job...

I'll take a closer look once i come back online

Namatse.

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 08:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by GhostR1der
Entombing won't solve all the problems if the corium is in the bedrock producing high pressure, radioactive steam, or where seep and water channels may exist. It's all sitting on fractured, crumbly sandstone, so many errors have lead to this event occuring.
Thanks for the intelligent post and you're right about entombment, in fact if they do it prematurely, it could make matters worse. At least they can get water on the reactor and fuel while it's not entombed. once it's entombed the heat will build up for several reasons, one because there's no longer water taking the heat out, and secondly because the tomb will actually seal the heat in. So they really need to get it under control before they entomb it, and it's not in control yet. It was never about trying to salvage it.

And to the OP, your pyramid tomb shows the generator buildings entombed. Did a source say they need to entomb those (the 2 long buildings between the 4 reactors and the sea)? I was thinking they might not have to entomb those but I'm not sure.

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 08:30 AM
link   
S&F

Great recap thread - well done!

A well needed complement to the huge original thread as well, me thinks!

Keep up the good work!

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 08:52 AM
link   
hi - just wanted to ad to this... it seems that the bbc is reporting that tepco is finally admitting what we all knew since day one... I know this is old news but interesting it's finally in the msm

"The government and the operator of the Fukushima Daiichi power plant recently revealed the No 1 reactor suffered a near complete meltdown within hours of the disaster."

and this

"Officials from the Tokyo Electric Power Company (Tepco) say fuel rods at the plant began to melt down as early as six hours after the 11 March tsunami knocked out vital cooling systems.

Within 16 hours most of the fuel in reactor 1 had melted to the floor of the pressurised chamber housing the reactor, creating a hole that allowed 3,000 tonnes of contaminated water to leak into the basement of the building.

Officials said the fuel in reactors number 2 and 3 was also exposed to the air and might have largely melted too."

linky
edit on 18-5-2011 by doubledutch because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 09:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Arbitrageur

No I don't think they need to incase does, The picture shown in the op was just to put it in to perspective.
And we don't know how much the radioactive 'lava' pool destoryed, for all we know it's eating it's way true the concrete.

One would think that when the reactors are in cold shutdown, the cleaning would start.
But how could one put a reactor in cold shutdown if their is nothing to shut down? It did have a meltdown..
To much questions.

I'm no expert on this matter, did a lot of reading the last months to educate myself. With the info i optained i made this thread.

Thanks,
OnlyLove

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 09:33 AM
link   
reply to post by OnlyLove

I would like to thank you for your post. Any info is hard to find because I am not a computer savvy person.
How do we get to this point, it's self destruction. Why would you put so many nuclear reactors on known fault lines? Full of hubris (or something else) I guess. This should be a wakeup call for all you nuclear brainiacs, but no. I still see these "scientists" telling me this stuff is safe when it obviously is not due to so many contingencies that have not been addressed. The planet is being degrated for the almighty dollar which is fiat currency. I wish the best you can get out of this disaster for the people of Japan.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join