It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Area 51 Goes Main stream / street on NPR today with Fresh Air's Terry Gross!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 01:16 PM
link   
The opening headline is as riveting as a Drudge headline "Was It UFOs Or The USSR?"

Terry Gross hosts LA Times' writer Annie Jacobsen, who claims a "clearance Q' high level contact

as one source of her area 51 revelation: It wasn't aliens. It was "13 year old children

bioengineered by Stalin" to terrorize the US by FAKING an alien invasion....and as a

light aside, she alledges the name for Groom Lake was Area 51 not from the map designation

most of us are familiar with - but from the year 1951 when the

disc was flown to Groom from Wright-Petterson. But why is there a disc if there's no aliens??

Another interesting twist on the old Roswell story, and well worth reading,

because the first thing that popped up into my ATS-hacked mind was

"is this disinformation" from her source?"

You decide, faithful reader....link to WBUR / NPR story

edit on 5/17/2011 by drphilxr because: formatting

edit on 5/17/2011 by drphilxr because: (no reason given)

edit on 5/17/2011 by drphilxr because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 01:19 PM
link   
a similar thread was started about the USSR being responsible. My question is if it was the soviets why didn't the US blame it on them? What's the point of keeping it secret for 60 years?

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 01:22 PM
link   
reply to post by drphilxr

It was "13 year old children bioengineered by Stalin"

I'm going to assume that future generations will just get dumber and dumber, considering the current downturn.

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 01:30 PM
link   
Just a bit of reasoning here, but the only bio-engineering done in Russia over the years was done with Vodka. If they were so capable back then, I'm sure they would have complete control over the planet by now....
edit on 17-5-2011 by boncho because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 01:46 PM
link   

Glad you found this link, listening now and is filling in many gap, very informative especially some of the older space program details.

I usually listen to NPR a lot, but lately have missed quite a few, so happy to hear of this!!

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 01:51 PM
link   

Then why isn't the Area 51 compound opened up to citizens to go take a look?? If it was just USSR and no aliens, why have a base? Let us see it!!!

link   
I was just reading a review of "AREA 51: An Uncensored History of America’s Top Secret Military Base"
by Annie Jacobsen.

Thought I should include a short exerpt:

Angry over being denied access to a research facility, she began talking to a security guard — who, it turned out, had worked at Area 51 and became one of her most valuable sources. And when it comes to EG&G, the secretive engineering company that plays a major role in the Area 51 story, she describes pressuring one unnamed EG&G employee persistently, no matter how hard he resisted.

It could make for an interesting read, but I would not count on getting ant definitive answers.

link   
I have to admit, the 13 year old children posing as space pilots was a bit much for anyone to believe

and it takes away credibility from her high level source with "impeccable credentials" - hokey.

Anyways, the gist of it still seems to be there WAS a disc - (duh!) - and it was the start of all the

funny business since....(not to mention the discs all the way back to the foo fighters, the 20's, the late 1890's,

the battle of Normandy in 1066, and heck, Sumer...)

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 01:52 PM
link   
reply to post by hdutton

did not know that! just ebooked the same on the kindle and looking forward to an

amusing read this weekend.

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 01:57 PM
link   

In case you're interested, this article has a pretty long bit of excerpts and info:

www.ideastations.org...

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 02:11 PM
link   

I listened to this segment today. It was riveting and a must listen. Download the podcast from the NPR site. You won't regret it.

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 02:20 PM
link   
reply to post by pajoly

The last ten minutes, possibly, will turn out to be the most interesting, to ATS members perhaps?

I predict.....a lot of new threads about the revelations and claims made, there.....especially if it is even the least bit true.

Still cogitating on it, here....

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 02:26 PM
link   
"The child-sized aviators in this craft were the result of a Soviet human experimentation program"

Thats even more unbelievable than actual aliens

Most likely it was biological androids in a crashed disc. They will keep going back and forth like this until its finally public knowledge that extraterrestrials did in fact crash at that location during that time. Really, government is just a bunch of fully grown children flinging about dangerous forms of power and they often commit crimes due to unforseen consequences.

"And so they send Richard Mingus through ground zero, 45 minutes to an hour after this nuclear bomb has exploded, so that he can get to Area 51 to guard the gate."

Man, they really did only think of those guys as pieces of meat. Sure, radioactive elements from an explosion do not have an instant dramatic effect when only temporarliy exposed to it. However, staying in the area for an extended time can cause severe consequences. Even worse, all the radioactive elements eventually work their way into the ecosystem and come back through human populations. Ingesting radioactive elements creates a good possibility of cancer occurring in the victim's body.

Personally, I would strip area 51/groom lake of 100% of its funding and use it to help cure cancer patients, create passive means of taking radioactive elements out of the planets ecosystems, and for further research into curing patients of cancer. Any money left over would be put to use finding who committed these atrocities and bringing them to justice which would probably include stripping them of all worldly possessions and perhaps having them executed to set the example. Any and all patents and secrets connected with area 51/groom lake should be made part of the public domain no matter what it is. Area 51 itself should be thoroughly cleaned of all radioactive substances and the structures should remain in place (why waste the resources to remove them... unless you wanted to hide something, which is not allowed) and turned into a museum. The museum should cover what generally went on their and as much detail as humanly possible. Everything that happened there should be publicly accessible to any american citizen without the need for request or clearance of any type. The museum should display all atrocities that occured there regardless of what happened or how horrific it was.

I just can't stand it when secrets hurt the public at large without their knowledge.

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 02:44 PM
link   

Really, government is just a bunch of fully grown children flinging about dangerous forms of power and they often commit crimes due to unforseen consequences
reply to post by Elzon

I find it interesting about all the "20/20 hindsite judgements" which people make. Some of the scientists involved with the first bomb project were afraid the heat of the explosion would ignite the air and burn up the world.

Today, this sounds rather rediculous but you never really know all the true results of research untill you have time to read the data. I don't know if you can call all the bad results of the testing which was done criminal. Sometimes stuff just goes wrong.

I am not saying all the things which came out of these tests was good. I just want us to be sure we look at the results through their eyes before we judge them.

edit on 17-5-2011 by hdutton because: lost train of thought

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 09:45 PM
link   

I heard this interview on the way to work.She says that the USSR sent an aircraft with 13 year olds in it in order to start a panic but in an earlier article that she wrote for the LA Times Jacobsen's source doesn't say that the USSR did try to hoax us but that generals were afraid that they were because of the testing of the A-12 was not known by all. So there were sightings of the A-12 (OXCART program) and those in the dark about the project thought it was the Russians. Check out the article for yourself, " The Road to Area 51 April 2009.

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 10:26 PM
link   
Ok, lets say for the sake of the argument it was true...

The questions we should be asking are:

1. how did they know the deformed children were from USSR?
2. How could young children, with deformities, control such a sophisticated technology?
3. Doesn't this contradict the FBI's account of what happened?
4. How was Bioengineering possible in the 1940's and 1950's? was it a crude form of bioengineering? like a breeding program?

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 02:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by drphilxr

"is this disinformation" from her source?"

You decide, faithful reader....link to WBUR / NPR story

Annie Jacobsen, L.A. Times investigative journalist on national security issues, has been creating quite a stir in the mainstream media with her new book: Area 51: An Uncensored History of America's Top Secret Military Base.

Here is my take on this controversial book:

The "sensational" aspect of this book is simply a teaser and not the main theme.
But, unfortunately, that tiny aspect of this book has been overblown by many critics and reviewers and seems to have dominated the discussions.

One commentator ( New York Times News Service ) said it quite well: "Although the connect-the-dots UFO thesis is only a hasty-sounding addendum to an otherwise straightforward investigative book, it makes an indelible impression. Her book is liable to become best-known for its inflammatory sci-fi provocation."

Out of 523 pages total, the so-called "sensational" suggestion only occupies just 2 pages, only at the very end, and practically has nothing to do with the rest of the book.

Personally, I think this is quite a brilliant book.
Only Annie Jacobsen herself knows the ultimate intention behind this fascinating writing.
It could be that she intentionally included the "sensational, incredible, science fiction-like" aspect, i.e., the Roswell 'connection' to Area 51 ( at least that is how it has always been regarded by the so-called "mainstream" ) at the very end of this book for a purpose. If that is the case, no one would ever know why she did it, except her.
Was it an intentional "disinformation"? No one knows.
It's up to the reader to make up his or her own mind....and she leaves it like that.

I think this is the best book that I have ever read on Area 51.
However, just because I say so does not mean that I believe and endorse every single thing it says.*
My evaluation of a book of this kind is based on the following questions:

1) Was this book well written?
2) Was it fascinating and riveting?
3) Did it bring out a new perspective on things?
4) Did it stimulate my intellectual pursuit?

I gave resounding "yes" on all of the above.
I would say to everyone: READ IT!!

*I had a preconceived notion that the prototype German flying wing aircraft Horten Ho. 229 had a range of only about a 1000 miles (or less), at least at the time that it had been test-flown in Germany around 1943, even though it may have used some type of ramjet engine and was claimed to have flown at the speed of anywhere from 400 to 600 miles per hour. It is possible, too, that it may also have utilized some type of prototype coating to make radar detection somewhat difficult. ( i.e., the ancestor of stealth technology).

Rather than the Russians getting hold of it (as it seems to be insinuated in the book) I was under the impression that it was the United States that got hold of the aircraft, even though initially the US Army claimed that they were not that impressed with Horten Ho. 229, unless they were talking about several other versions that the Horten Brothers were working on.

But one thing that I agree is that Operation Paperclip and the impact of German scientists and engineers did play a significant role in the philosophy of weapons systems that was the initial basis of Black Programs at Area 51.

Here is an excellent comment by Tedd Dapp:

(QUOTE)

It seems to have become the norm, judge before reading, based on a review or title.
I see it everyday here on Facebook with people responding to a linked story.....but responding not to the story itself, but the title only and basing their 'opinion on that.

I reserve my opinion of this book until after I have read it.

(But after reading and watching a few interviews with the author, I had already come to the conclusion the "sensational" aspect was included because if there was no mention of Roswell's connection to Area 51 -- there would be louder cries of "disinformation".

And, as I am sure you are aware, the majority will attack and attempt to discredit anyone who poses any theory that challenges what they WANT to be true.

(UNQUOTE).

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 12:35 AM
link   
The book is a load of crap. The author had a golden opportunity to tell the true story of Area 51 through interviews with many former workers, pilots, commanders, etc. Instead, she buried their fascinating anecdotes in a maze of sensationalist claptrap about Bob Lazar, nuclear accidents, and a ludicrous story about Roswell that doesn't stand up to any scrutiny or standard of evidence.

Even the sections devoted to documented history are rife with factual errors. Most of the people she interviewed are feeling very betrayed right now.

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 11:01 AM
link   
I am hoping "Shadowhawk" can bring it upon himself to read, and then critique this "book". I can't think of anyone more qualified to do so. Considering the circumstances I really think someone should.

EDITED TO ADD: I suggest anyone considering this book read the reviews of other on Amazon. Joerg of Dreamland Resort fame, among others, have spoken:
www.amazon.com...=cm_cr_dp_all_summary?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1&sortBy=bySubmi ssionDateDescending

On that note, here is a quote from someone that reviewed the book on Amazon:

Laramie75:
Finished the book, and I did not care for it for a few main reasons. I cannot believe how much attention this garbage is getting. The parts about the U2 and A12/SR71 were for the most part pretty good, but much had been already written there. However, she was off base overall for a couple main reasons:

1. For some reason she talked a lot about the Nevada Test Site and clearly had not done much research on it as many statements were factually wrong. She greatly exaggerates the nuclear rocket test stories and Project 57 and makes them sound far worse than they are. There are documents available to the public that show exactly what went on with both of these and she even sourced a few but chose to rely on bar stories instead to discount official accurate records. She had a horrible map drawn up in the front of the book when she could have gotten a better one anywhere.

2. Which brings me to the next major flaw. She relied too much on stories from people that were not verifiable, even when her notes show she had better sources to use for much of the information.

3. She totally lost all credibility when she presented as fact the whole Roswell was a Russian craft and the aliens were created by Mengele. All of it was presented as fact and credited to only an interview with an anonymous EG&G engineer. She started and finished the book with this ridiculous theory that even UFO researches and non believers would buy. The focus on this tainted the whole book in my opinion. I believe she thought she had found the Deep Throat of Roswell when really either it was someone pulling her leg, or someone deliberately trying to discredit her to make the rest of the book credible.

So let's get into specifics. On top of the Roswell garbage she presents, she has so many trivial yet easily recognizable facts incorrect that it also tainted the whole book. For example:

She states that the US got V-2 rockets from Pennemunde, this is not true as the Soviets captured that base. The V-2s w got were from plants in western Germany.

She states that the Nevada Test Site encompassed 1,350 acres and she repeated that on NPR. Well I don't know how an editor let that go by since thats only TWO SQUARE MILES. 1350 square miles is the correct statement.

She says the first atomic bomb exploded on US soil was at the NTS in 1951. What about the Trinity test in New Mexico in 1945?

She seems to want to equate a "safety test" or a nuclear reactor test with a nuclear explosion. They are not the same.

Area 51 was not named such because it was in 1951. This of course if from her suspicious source. The areas were all parceled out in 1950 and there are plenty of documents showing how and why it was done the way it was.

She states that Czar Nicholas was shot in 1918, setting off the Russian Revolution. The Revolution was well under way by 1918.

She rants about why the DOE would change their name 4 times in 60 years if there was nothing to hide instead of understanding that the mission of the Manhattan Project - AEC - DOE has changed over the years and the name was changed to reflect that. She says the FBO only changed their name once. Well pretty much it has been a federal bureau that has performed investigations since it started.

Just a few little errors but they point to faulty research overall which makes anything else in the book suspect.

To be fair the parts on the U2, SR-71 and some other aircraft testing and some of the cold war spy flight stories were interesting (two stars worth only) but not enough to make up for the ridiculous Roswell theory the book starts and ends with and they are even tainted with some doubt because of the other errors and overly dramatic storytelling.

The story of Area 51 and the Nevada Test Site are fascinating enough without embellishment and relying on bar stories. If you want a good Area 51 book get Dreamland by Phil Patton. It is based on facts and when speculation is made, he clearly states that.

For all you who give this 5 stars for who knows why please do some of your own research. You can easily find better information on the Nevada Test Site, the nuclear rocket program, Project 57, etc than you will get from this book. If you want a history of Area 51, get Dreamland, if you want spy plane stories, get "By Any Means Necessary" by Burrows, for nuclear rocket stuff get Dewar's "To The End Of The Solar System".

edit on 21-5-2011 by FosterVS because: (no reason given)

edit on 21-5-2011 by FosterVS because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 11:05 AM
link   
Area 51 "goes" mainstream, are you freaking kidding? How much of a weird insular little world do you occupy? Area 51 has been the subject of pop culture jokes for decades!

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join