It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Secret Service interrogates Tacoma 7th grader

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 01:56 PM
link   
reply to post by mahajohn

Right on. What "rights" were violated here? The SS ALWAYS follows up on this sort of thing. I remember when I was a student in Tacoma Public Schools a kid wrote a letter to President Eisenhower saying he would kill him if Eisenhower didn't form a new state out of some postage stamp "lots" used as prizes in cereal boxes that this kid had accumulated.

This kid this time was no threat, it's true, and when the SS finished talking to him, they realized that and said so. End of story. Nobody has the grounds to sue anybody. No rights were violated. No laws were broken. The SS has every right to question someone. In fact, they must, and if they didn't they would be in even more trouble.

Funny thing is, I attended Truman Junior High School in Tacoma, same as this kid. I was in fourth period band when Terry Robinson came into class and said Kennedy had been shot. Some things you never forget.

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 01:56 PM
link   
Seems to be more to the story, what exactly was the post he made? I can't find it, seems like they are not saying it in the article for some reason.

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 01:58 PM
link   
You know I read this and I'm still kind of slack jawed at the moment ...

I mean, talk about absurdity at it's finest! Goodness gracious.

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 01:58 PM
link   
reply to post by schuyler

I don't disagree with what you are saying but there is a huge difference between saying "I will kill you if..." and "be careful of suicide bombers." One is a direct threat, the other is a piece of advice.
edit on 17-5-2011 by Noviz because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 01:59 PM
link   

That's just it, if they had done nothing, then people would be criticizing them too. For all anyone knows, someone could have posted under that kids account as well.

So in light of that, if it was just a general talk with the kid, it shouldn't be that big of a deal. Although, the parent should probably be there during the talk.

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 02:00 PM
link   
it never should have gotten that far! Sounds like this info went from desk to desk to desk....someone should have thrown it in file 13 when it first surfaced. No wonder the world is in such pitiful condition---we are surrounded by total idiots!

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 02:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kram09
reply to post by Blackmarketeer

.....How long will it be before they just start questioning anything that's anti-American?

Not long at all.... apparently it has already begun.

At some point we have to say "stop" or this will become the norm.

As far as the Secret Service is concerned, it was a shameful overreaction that leads to the inference that Americans are being monitored everywhere at all times.... which apparently goes without saying anymore.

So now tax-payers have to foot the bill so Secret Service and Law Enforcement agencies can respond to 7th graders conscientiously urging our president to be cautious.... How frightened is the government of it's own people? Absurd and embarrassing is what this is.

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 02:08 PM
link   
While I don't condone the actions against the 7th grader, the secret service is just doing it's job. They are supposed to take any and all "threats" seriously. For all they knew it could have been some older guy posing as a 7th grader on Facebook. (

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 02:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by schuyler

Right on. What "rights" were violated here? The SS ALWAYS follows up on this sort of thing. I remember when I was a student in Tacoma Public Schools a kid wrote a letter to President Eisenhower saying he would kill him if Eisenhower didn't form a new state out of some postage stamp "lots" used as prizes in cereal boxes that this kid had accumulated.

This kid this time was no threat, it's true, and when the SS finished talking to him, they realized that and said so. End of story. Nobody has the grounds to sue anybody. No rights were violated. No laws were broken. The SS has every right to question someone. In fact, they must, and if they didn't they would be in even more trouble.

Funny thing is, I attended Truman Junior High School in Tacoma, same as this kid. I was in fourth period band when Terry Robinson came into class and said Kennedy had been shot. Some things you never forget.

Finally some rational thinking comes to this thread.

What if he were 17 years old, old enough to know better and actually old enough to attempt to pull a "stunt".
Would it still be a "violation of his rights" ? I don't think so.

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 02:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by schuyler

The SS ALWAYS follows up on this sort of thing.

You mean like they did with the Saudi pilots in training before 9-11?

Lucky for them they weren't 13 year old high school students... they would have gotten nailed for sure!

If the SS followed up on everything there would be about 3 million of them. This site alone could generate thousands of examples of 'response-worthy' nonsense.

As far as rights being violated, I don;t know why your hanging your argument on that. It seems clear that there is more at work here than civil rights, or the lack thereof. But I will have to suppose you feel parental advocacy is superfluous in such an "important" and "dangerous" situation.
edit on 17-5-2011 by Maxmars because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 02:11 PM
link   
reply to post by elevatedone

"What if" is a game for sophists.

There was no "what if" here. A phone call to the school would have provided enough information to completely dispense with the need for this "threat response."

What, are they bored or something?
edit on 17-5-2011 by Maxmars because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 02:44 PM
link   
I think the young man should have been given a metal.....Maybe his mother will sue the hell of of the broke ass U.S. government corporation and get some of their fake federal reserve notes and buy themselves some gold with it...maybe even have enough to send the boy through college...This has got to be the worst puppet in the white house in a long, long time...if not the very worst ever....

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 02:47 PM
link   
Why question this kid at school??? Because they knew his parents were not there. This was intentional.

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 02:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

Yeah... I guess I just don't have a problem with it.

There's too much paranioa in this world... just bugs me.

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 02:55 PM
link   
It would not take a paranoid nutter to take a statement that our president needs to be "careful" about being murdered by suicide bombers and construe it as a vague threat. It's like a cinematic villan saying something to the effect of "you'd better watch out, someone might try to shoot you when you least expect it!" I'm NOT saying it WAS a threat, and neither was the Secret Service. They would be remiss in their duties if they didn't investigate. Further, we have no information about this kid; perhaps he once threatened another child?

The notion that a child could end up being a fool or psychopath can't be discounted. So, the SS did their due diligence, and found they had nothing to worry about.

"Common sense" is meaningless when you're charged with protecting a high-value target like a head of state. The slightest error or oversight could lead not only to their death or injury, but perhaps even a national or international crises. Military conflict, even.

Originally posted by Kram09

What exactly was threatening about his comment?

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 03:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Blackmarketeer

At the end of the day it all boils down to the fact that the officer had no right to speak to the child, none whatsoever, without parental consent.

It doesn't matter why they did it, or how stupid they are when reading Facebook (and their obvious mismanagement of comprehension). None of that matters. What matters here is that they trampled all over the rights of the mom and the child.

You cannot justify that action. And the principle should be reprimanded for failing to do his job.

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 03:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Chrisfishenstein
I hope the parents press charges and sue the balls off of the secret service!! I am sick of rights being violated, this is just obsurd!!

Unfortunately in the article the mom says they can not afford to take legal action, but hopes it raises awareness.

I understand the severity of the post and that they should look into things like that. Once though they saw it was an actual seventh grader who confirmed he posted it there should have been no need to interrogate him for 30 minutes and do it without waiting for his mother to get there. What a shame that the SS will get away with this, without being sued like crazy.

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 03:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Noviz

I don't disagree with what you are saying but there is a huge difference between saying "I will kill you if..." and "be careful of suicide bombers." One is a direct threat, the other is a piece of advice.

Of course it is different. The point is that the SS is compelled to check out everything no matter how old you are. My example pointed that out. My guess is (of course I don't know) that this SS guy said to himself, "Oh, f***. I can't believe I actually am required to do this (sigh)." But it's a no stone left unturned kind of approach. So he got a road trip out of the deal and can turn in his mileage. And now the SS will have to endure endless media hype over the whole thing. I'm still pretty close to Tacoma and it's starting even as we speak.

ONE OTHER POINT. I'm curious how they discovered this. It COULD have been someone seeing it and reporting it (in which case call recorded and action must be taken) OR it COULD have been an automated sweep by the NSA looking for keywords, in which case "suicide bomber" next to Obama would do it. I suppose we'll never know.

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 03:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by anon72

Secret Service interrogates Tacoma 7th grader

www.q13fox.com

A Tacoma seventh grader faced federal interrogation at school for what he posted on his Facebook page. His mom said it all happened without her knowledge or permission. Timi Robertson said she had just finished lunch with a friend Friday when she got a phone call from her son's school.

"I answered it, and it's the school security guard who's giving me a heads up that the Secret Service is here with the Tacoma Police Department and they have Vito and they're talking to him," Robertson said.

After Osama bin Laden was killed, 13-year-old Vito LaPinta posted an update to his Facebook
(visit the link for the full news article)

Man, I was thinking I'd pull up the article and it was gonna really be like someone said something pretty serious.. I don't know what I was thinking. I mean, I don't mind them messing with white folks as white folks don't mind cops messing with me, but, it looked like the kid was worried about the president's safety and thought he was helping by saying that the terrorists might want revenge and to be more vigilant about his own personal safety. It didn't look like this kid wanted to harm anyone...

I post stuff that's at least hundreds of times more violently disturbing on ATS than this rug rat could ever post on facebook. And he didn't even post anything disturbing... he was just intentionally misinterpreted. They must be using auto word recognition technology on facebook pages with a direct connection to the facebook servers. Unless one of this kid's friends reported him, that's the only way they'd ever be able to pay him a visit for anything. He probably put the word "Osama" too close to the word "Obama", and BAM! Their system probably returned some kind of match or something.

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 07:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

Lucky for them they weren't 13 year old high school students... they would have gotten nailed for sure!

The line of the day!!

About coughed up my drink...

STAR>>>> (and how true..)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join