It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Report: Doctors Refusing to Treat Overweight Patients

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 01:40 PM
link   

And personally, I dont believe in going to doctors. I havent been to one in a decade. Luckily I havent had any major ailments but I stay healthy. Its hard work but its better than doctor visits, hospital bills and feeling like a lardo all the time.

reply to post by doctornamtab

Having a belief in going to doctors is neither here nor there when you are faced with an illness. Not everyone is a lucky as to get through life with out any illness and it's not all down to living a healthy life style. Lance Armstrong was a pretty fit chap, yet he needed the doctors to cure his cancer.

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 01:41 PM
link   
reply to post by babybunnies

I think we are in basic agreement.

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 01:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by babybunnies

By refusing patients treatment, they are not doing harm. The patients have already done the harm to themselves.

There is a very big difference to not doing harm and refusing to treat self inflicted damage duie to stupidity and ignorance.

Well, now we know how some people feel about the obese. Bias much?

Such a shame that you can flatly declare that obese people 'did it to themselves' out of 'stupidity and ignorance.' Let me know how the weather is in 'skinny world' where all illnesses are treated and patently no fault of the well-proportioned.

By the way "ignorance" implies "lacking knowledge"...

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 01:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by woodwardjnr
In the UK at the moment, it is becoming increasingly common for NHS surgeons to recommend stomach stapling surgery for obese people. The idea is that if you treat these people by effectively reducing the size of their stomachs, the patient will be less of a burden to the health system by avoiding getting diabetes, which is a chronic long term illness. In the long run it is a cost saving measure, but still displays a level of compassion us in the UK take pride in.

A review of medical research involving 135,000 patients found that the symptoms of diabetes were resolved or improved in a majority of those who had bariatric surgery to help to lose weight.

Overall, 78 per cent of patients had a “complete resolution” of their diabetes for up to two years after surgery, while 87 per cent experienced either resolution or an improvement in their condition.

www.timesonline.co.uk...

It makes sense. But this doesnt get to the root of the problem which is lifestyle.

In the long run this might do more harm than good because if people think they can eat what they want and just get a dangerous, expensive surgery to cover up their unhealthy choices.

I'm compassionate and understand where the UK is coming from but this might just create more obesity

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 01:52 PM
link   
reply to post by dolphinfan

I am so glad that I am finished with my "baby-making" days.
I am LEGALLY obese, I have a very loud mouth and very
strong opinions.These doctors' would not have liked me at all.

During my "prime years",my weight was between 150lbs.-180lbs.
My post- hysterectomy years have added many pounds...I tipped
the scales at 222lbs.I am now down to 211lbs.My goal is to get
down to 150lbs.I want to get into shape before SHTF.
edit on 17-5-2011 by mamabeth because: added more

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 01:59 PM
link   
I have been over weight especially after having babies and not once has any doctor counciled me to lose weight...

I have recently lost 55 lbs and now they are now telling me how good it is for my health. I think doctors are afraid of "insulting" their patients instead of advising them what is good for them.

As for not treating obese pts. whether it is within their rights, legally or not, seems the hypocratic [sp] should over ride.... wonder how many have been sued for refusing treatment.

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 02:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Blogstalker

No, the Hippocratic Oath is to do no harm. There is nothing in there about not treating people.
If a doctor does not agree with medical birth control, then they don't have to prescribe it.
Same goes for treating people. If they don't agree with the said lifestyle and/or the risk is to great, they don't need to proceed.
Find another doctor, instead of forcing those, that have the potential to perform surgeries on you, to treat you.

Kind of like don't peeve off the waiter/waitress, they are in charge of your food.

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 02:06 PM
link   
If you have minor hypothyroidism and your TSH is just at the limit, you will probably be packing on the pounds whether you eat healthy or not. But trust me, from experience... my doctor(s) only gave a rats behind when my blood serum levels for any chemical was obscenely out of range.

What about people with bad genetics? etc
I have a friend who weights 220 pounds, but he exercises. He just puts on weight from literally everything he eats. If he ate a celery stick he'd probably still gain weight

Though I have no issues with refusing help to people who purposely mess their body up and have no mental illness or something beyond their control.

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 02:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by macman
reply to post by dolphinfan

Until Lord Obama mandates Doctors to treat everyone.

I'm more concerned with things going the other way - with obamacare starting to triage people as worth treating or not worth treating due to the costs, etc.

The so-called "death panels", if you will.

edit on 5/17/2011 by centurion1211 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 02:29 PM
link   

No, the Hippocratic Oath is to do no harm. There is nothing in there about not treating people.

The grey area then becomes:

If a doctor could help someone, but refuses to do so - for whatever reason - does that constitute "doing harm"?

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 02:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by centurion1211

The grey area then becomes:

If a doctor could help someone, but refuses to do so - for whatever reason - does that constitute "doing harm"?

To me that constitutes doing nothing. Most times doing nothing is neither harmful or helpful.

Everyone should have a choice, especially when it comes to exposing yourself to legal liability. Just because doctors chose a profession that helps people doesn't mean theyre obligated to help everyone.

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 02:33 PM
link   
I wonder how much of it is age discrimination in disquise?
After all, the older people are, the more likely they are to become obese.
Older mothers are the ones with increased birth complications.

What about the babies?
Did they do it to themselves too?

There's so little compassion in America. That's why America is going to fail. When you hate and hate and hate and keep finding reaasons to hate, and you spread this lie that hate is ok, well, it has a way of turning right back on you.

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 02:34 PM
link   
reply to post by centurion1211

No. I believe that in its current form, it revolves around the physical action not doing further harm. Not withholding.

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 02:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by hadriana
I wonder how much of it is age discrimination in disquise?
After all, the older people are, the more likely they are to become obese.
Older mothers are the ones with increased birth complications.

What about the babies?
Did they do it to themselves too?

There's so little compassion in America. That's why America is going to fail. When you hate and hate and hate and keep finding reaasons to hate, and you spread this lie that hate is ok, well, it has a way of turning right back on you.

So, refusing to interact with equals hate?
How is that.
That is a broad statement. Sounds like that when someone does something you don't like, you can apply hate to it.

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 02:40 PM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

Troll thread? I think not.

Obesity greatly increases complications during pregnancy and statistically impacts the health of the child significantly.

Mother's health issues:

"The number-one health condition that affects pregnancy is obesity," said Dr. Katharine Wenstrom, professor of obstetrics and gynecology at Women and Infants Hospital at Brown University in Rhode Island. "It changes everything with an increased risk for all pregnancy complications."

abcnews.go.com...

Child health issues

having a BMI of 29 or greater — before pregnancy were more than twice as likely to have an infant with spina bifida, nearly twice as likely to have a baby with other neural-tube defects, and more vulnerable to giving birth to babies with heart problems, cleft palate or cleft lip, abnormal rectum or anus development, and hydrocephaly, a condition in which excess spinal fluid builds up in the brain.

Read more: www.time.com...

Having a child while obese is selfish, foolish and irresponsible. A responsible woman who is obese would place herself on birth control. Does that mean that fat people should not have children? Yes, as long as they're fat. I

Obstetrics has the highest incidents of malpractice suits, currently making up 35.5% of malpractice claims.

Why should a doctor be forced to treat someone who has taken steps to become high risk? Why should a doctor be forced to invest in special infrastructure to accomodate obese patients? By what right does anyone infringe on the property rights of a doctor? Why should a doctor be forced to carry a level of insurance higher than he otherwise would to accomodate pregnant women who are fat.

The same goes for a smoker (I smoke), heavy drinker, person with infectous or blood born diseases, tall people, short people, anyone.

Why should healthy people share an insurance pool and thus pay higher rates because there are foolish folks who are actively killing themselves. As a smoker with high cholestrol, I would fully expect to be in a high risk pool and do not expect the healthy and more responsible people to pay for my lifestyle choices.

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 02:42 PM
link   

So, refusing to interact with equals hate?
How is that.
That is a broad statement.

I'm not necessarily talking about the doctors. They have to live with themselves and probably will do it with a second thought.\

But talk of 'hating' fat people is everywhere on the net - and if you can't see it, perhaps you need to take a second look. With 1/3 of our population fat, that's a lot of hate to go around. Especially common is talk of hating 'fat chicks.'

HATE as a word is NOT so broad a term. It's a malignant, malicious emotion.

Not interacting is not interacting....but why...exactly?
If pure 'RISK' is merely the issue, then I'd not see patients over 40 or patients that were diabetic or that had previous problems with past pregnancies or preeclampsia.

Get rid of ALL the risks and have yourself a nice easy practice. Schedule all C-sections and you won't even have to miss dinner and golf.

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 02:42 PM
link   

reply to post by centurion1211

No. I believe that in its current form, it revolves around the physical action not doing further harm. Not withholding.

A "modernized version" of the oath using more current wording:

link

When one reviews the oath it is often difficult to grasp due the the unnecessarily irritating and inciting phraseology. I was able to find an altered version of the Physician’s Oath from the University of Washington’s Medical Program, to bring its words and ideas into consonance with today’s trends:

At the time of being admitted as a member of the medical profession;
I solemnly pledge myself to consecrate my life to the service of humanity.
I will give to my teachers the respect and gratitude which is their due;
I will practice my profession with conscience and dignity;
The health of my patient will be my first consideration;
I will respect the secrets, which are confided in me;
I will maintain by all the means in my power, the honor and the noble traditions of the medical profession;
My colleagues will be my sisters and brothers;
I will respect and value the lives of all persons;
I will not discriminate against any person in medical decisions;
I will maintain the utmost respect for human life; even under threat, I will not use my medical knowledge contrary to the laws of humanity.
I make these promises solemnly, freely, and upon my honor.

I believe that every physician should inform their patient of all legal medical options, and not take second the health of the patient. If the physician is not comfortable with the procedure than by all means refer them to another physician that can help them.

IMO refusing treatment - without at least offering a referral - would possibly violate lines 5, 9 and especially 10 of this version of the Oath.

edit on 5/17/2011 by centurion1211 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 02:43 PM
link   
Wow. Lots of ugly and intolerant speak in this thread.

"Lardo"
"Fatty"

No wonder our children suffer from incessant bullying. Look at how the adults act.

Despicable. Absolutely despicable and I am ashamed.

I have been a big guy my whole life. when i say "big", i don't mean like Dom Deluise. I lifted in the Texas State Powerlifting meet against Mark Henry (he clobbered me....he is a machine). I was an all state offensive lineman. However, as I aged, i put on weight.

Why? Well, two reasons:

- no nutritional understanding. With my high school athletics, i had to eat about 10k calories a day. Winter was a little less, summer a little more. So as i became an aduult, i carried my nutrition forward. But without 6 hours of weight room daily, my nutritional habits added weight

- i had a family. Pasta and rice are a cheap way to stretch meals. No one bothers to tell people that rice, pasta, bread, and potatoes are literally poison to the body.

I topped out at 450lbs on January 3, 2011. i am, today, 323lbs. How? Simple, i cut out carbs. Very, very simple. And had someone told me that years ago, it would have made a HUGE difference to me and my son (who is also losing weight with me, to the tune of 80lbs since January 3, 2011).

You all act like fat people make the choice. They don't. It isn't a choice to be fat, to be ridiculed, to not be able to fly because of how small the seats are. To have the anxiety of there being only booths and not tables in a restaurant (especially when it is a business engagement). And we won't even talk about the health problems.

If you are not or have never been fat, shut up. You have nothing to say that has any meaning.

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 02:46 PM
link   
reply to post by hadriana

Who said that they hate fat/obese people?

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 02:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by dolphinfan

Having a child while obese is selfish, foolish and irresponsible. A responsible woman who is obese would place herself on birth control. Does that mean that fat people should not have children? Yes, as long as they're fat. I

I didn't know Josef Mengele was a fan of the Dolphins?

Really? You think that people who are victims of socioeconomic status should not be allowed to breed?

Is this your "final solution"?

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join