It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Israeli media reveals U.S. president's forthcoming Mideast speech

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 11:06 AM
link   

Israeli media reveals U.S. president's forthcoming Mideast speech

news.xinhuanet.com

U.S. President Barack Obama will call on Israel to withdraw to the 1967 borders and agree to additional concessions that will enable a resumption of the peace process, Israeli daily Yedioth Ahronoth revealed on Tuesday.

According to Yedioth Ahronoth, Obama will call on Israel to withdraw to the 1967 cease-fire lines with territorial adjustments that will be agreed on in the negotiations with the Palestinian National Authority. The president will label the West Bank settlements as "illegal" and emphasize that Israel must halt their construction.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 11:06 AM
link   
Gee Obama doing the right thing for once and not being a total Israeli slave? I hope he will really do this speech and that it won't only be words.

I think this is the ``best`` that we can hope for from Obama. He will never go ``Ron Paul`` on foreign policy, meaning cutting all foreign aid and military aid, to everyone, including Israel and let Israel and the Palestinian deal with their own issues.

I think if he REALLY does this speech it'll only be words.

news.xinhuanet.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 11:08 AM
link   
Ok, so Obama says to retreat but they don't have to listen him, and it becomes lie number 1 million and 1. The only advantage to the people of the world would be if Israel actually believes he's telling the truth.

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 11:13 AM
link   
Thing is...

1967 border resetting WILL -NOT- STOP any of the violence.

It's laughable people still believe the whole "Israeli conflict" is just simply over border placement

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 11:16 AM
link   
reply to post by filosophia

It was "leaked" for a reason. Things can be leaked, their reaction judged, the shock factor done away with, and then the speech can be a toned down toothless version.

There is no way a speech gets leaked by accident, it is just more of the political game. Obama wanted his opinion on the subject known, but didn't want the political backlash of actually saying it. So, it gets leaked, it gets tweaked and adjusted, and the speech will be a more elegant and polished version of the same thing with less controversy.

Politics are a nasty thing and should be outlawed.

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 11:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

I try to remain as neutral as possible on the issue of Israel/Palestine given the volatility of the situation and how emotionally charged arguments about it can get but I can't help but applaud this stance that Obama seems prepared to take. It's time to actually work to stop the fighting in the middle east instead of just perpetuating the stalemate that we see at the minute. Israel exists, it has a right to exist, so does an independent, free state of Palestine. The sooner there are two fully functioning and recognised states in the region then the real peace process can begin. We all know these things don't happen over night but something's got to give sooner or later before it turns into all out war again.

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 11:19 AM
link   
Hrmmmm leaked huh?
The peace process will occur.
Something will happen to derail the process.
Israel will take back the west bank now permanently.

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 11:22 AM
link   
israel won't go along with this. i wouldn't be suprised if obama makes this speech, israel says no, and then israel gets attacked by the surrounding arab nations.

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 11:24 AM
link   
Yes, go back to the 67 borders...that should solve the conflict.

yes...thats sarcasm....but at least if they do that, and -when- arab nations once again try to invade, they can have critics shut up for another 44 years.

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 11:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by Bob Sholtz
israel won't go along with this. i wouldn't be suprised if obama makes this speech, israel says no, and then israel gets attacked by the surrounding arab nations.

The surrounding nations are in no condition to attack Israel. It would be suicidal.

Though this could clear the way for NATO intervention. Something Israel feared would happen in the 1990s under Clinton after Kosovo. Israel won't go down like Serbia did. It would require a tremendous effort to force Israel back to its 1967 borders, more than the force used to push Iraq out of Kuwait in 1991. It would be easier to fight Iran or Pakistan.

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 11:38 AM
link   
Its sounds to me like: "Hey Muslim nations we got your back, step aside Israel". When of course the exact opposite is true. Why? Maybe because we want those against Israel to think that the behaviour is acceptable and are trying to escalate the whole thing only to drag the US into more conflict. Kinda ties together the proposed bill that allows for confrontation without congress on a permanent level along with all the other loose ends, if you catch my drift.

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 11:39 AM
link   
I can't imagine the entrenched settlers will survive the storm that's approaching unscathed.

The Israeli government has tried every displacement technique they could to give away land that prior to 1967 wasn't theres to give. Here we are - decades later - trying to remedy the grief that action has brought to the region.

The shame of it all is that this is almost entirely a tribal thing. We cannot fix that.... although our leaders don't mind sending our children to the area to die trying on their behalf.

I am almost ready for the next thread where the White House announces that this was not the speech that Obama was to give; that's it's a fabrication placed by 'disruptive influences' to disturb the peace effort (such as it is.)

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 11:39 AM
link   
reply to post by MikeboydUS

Although I agree with you.....since when has "suicidal" been a deterrent?

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 11:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by Zippidee
reply to post by MikeboydUS

Although I agree with you.....since when has "suicidal" been a deterrent?

With humans? Never.

Well Egypt and Syria do need something to distract their people. Nothing has worked better than invading Israel.

So what will this make: Arab Israeli War part 4 or is it part 5?

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 12:10 PM
link   
The US has shown that they are good at invading other countries for no reason. Perhaps they should just invade Israel and get rid of the radicals Osama style (with seal team 6 of course) and then install their own regime which is more "friendly"... They've done it before, they can do it again...

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 12:36 PM
link   
Even if the speech, as leaked, comes out that way, it doesn't mean that timing won't be abused.

These people can have their cake and eat it too. Obama can say this, and Israel can even "agree", and yet, they will then procede to set up a ludicrous timetable, something like, Israel will be out by 2020!

Meanwhile, Obama snag's another Nobel Peace Prize, and might even be called the "Great Peacemaker" (posthumously of course).

MLK, move over.

JR

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 12:55 PM
link   

So Obama should get the UN to send in troops and tell Israel to get all their military out of Palestine..

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 12:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by backinblack

So Obama should get the UN to send in troops and tell Israel to get all their military out of Palestine..

So Obama should get the UN to send in troops and tell Georgia to get their troops out of Russia?..

lmao.

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 01:06 PM
link   
reply to post by CanadianDream420

If Obama is serious then that's what he should do..
Talk is cheap....

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 01:29 PM
link   

U.S. President Barack Obama will call on Israel to withdraw to the 1967 borders and agree to additional concessions that will enable a resumption of the peace process, Israeli daily Yedioth Ahronoth revealed on Tuesday.

And on Wednesday Boy George will be holding a press conference to tell the world that he is actually straight!

IRM

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join