It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

MONEY NEVER SLEEPS!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 10:16 AM
link   
Yeah I know very original using the quote from the movie starring Shia LaBeouf but for this thread I think it works perfectly. Like I said in my intro I’m originally from Slovakia which is, for those whose geography may not be that good, in Eastern Europe. People in my country have seen a lot of corruption I mean that’s basically how our government manages to operate. People however put their heads down and refuse to speak about it but I’m just tired of the ignorance and I think people need to know what exactly is going on.

Liz Barrett who is a journalist based in Zagreb said: “Perhaps the greatest obstacle to the integration of Eastern Europe into the European Union - but the least discussed - is corruption. The problem is not absent in Western Europe or the EU institutions, of course, but in many parts of Eastern Europe bribery is endemic.” The truth is these countries have ben ran like this for years. Under communism the only way you would be able to afford your own house and have a well-paid job was if you joined the communist party. For this you needed money the more money you had the more your family and your fortune would be secure.

The region became highly dependent on foreign capital. We used to have many of our own factories and now everything has been sold and most of our goods are imported such as gas which we get from Russia and Ukraine. Slovakia cancelled foreign loans which it gave to Libya and Russia for no reason other than money. The deals were signed and suddenly the politicians involved in the signing bought new villas and flashy cars, while the taxes were raised so that the people would pay the money which the country had lost back. “Corruption deters inward investment. Furthermore, corrupt administrations find it hard to administer the many EU aid programmes which - if well-handled - could boost prosperity”.

“Privatisation programmes have fed corruption throughout the region. These programmes are now almost complete in the more advanced countries, such as the Czech Republic. But in many countries of the former Soviet bloc the governments have used privatisation as an opportunity to distribute favours to their friends.” In our government you will find many ministers who do not have qualifications for the types of jobs they do and people who really work hard to be able to work like this are sent away as they don’t have relatives in the high places.
Few East European states can afford to pay their civil servants, judges, police or border guards an income which the recipients deem adequate. For example, in Hungary the traffic laws are complex and can be easily exploited by the police. They invent "fines" for certain actions. The ordinary member of the public is unable to tell whether such fines are legitimate. The scope for corruption could be reduced by simplifying the traffic laws. It is quite similar in Slovakia. Even though people try to look away everyone knows it is true. The law works different for many different people. If you look into the case concerning a Slovakian presenter Rastislav Zitny you can clearly see corruption taking place publicly. This guy killed a young boy (5) as he ran him over while he was driving over the speed limit. The boy died on the scene and Rastislav went into a coma. After he woke up from the coma he claimed he was mentally unstable to attend the court hearing. The case went on and on until the media stopped talking about it.

The famous presenter didn’t even get a sentence yet and probably never will. It was eve said that he would get his old job back. If it was any of us ordinary tax payers do you think we would be able to walk around the country freely?

www.economist.com...

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 10:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Cayla19

Greed. Corruption. Back door deals. All of which most governments take part of and its sickening! Had we put an end to their lies and deceit a long time ago then maybe this world would be a better place then it is now. We have the ability to make changes but somehow are never organized to do so. $&F

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 04:39 PM
link   
S+F for a nice first thread Cayla..

I'm surprised we haven't seen more of a discussion on this thus far though tbh. Hopefully this thread bump will change that though.

edit on 24-5-2011 by Rising Against because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 04:59 PM
link   
Money indeed never does sleep. The fact is, with money you can literally do anything and it's something we've got to come to terms with. Money buys contacts and with contacts...there's a lot you can do.

I don't know when money became so important but what scope we do to get it...our greed for it is absolutely astounding. The government is meant to be a leader, an idol for civilians, there to support us but they are indeed the worst traitors.

Great thread Cay

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 08:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Stop-loss!

I agree its time to make a change

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 08:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Rising Against

Thank You

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 08:17 PM
link   
reply to post by BlackPoison94