It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Exploding" Watermelons In China

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 09:00 AM
link   

"Exploding" Watermelon In China

www.bbc.co.uk

Farmers in eastern China have been left perplexed after their watermelons began to explode one by one.

(visit the link for the full news article)

Imported seeds from Japan ? ....are these seeds from Fukuchima region

According to the Xinhua news agency, 20 farmers in a village in Jiangsu province planted imported seeds from Japan, with 10 households saying their watermelons began exploding last month.

edit on 17-5-2011 by AQ6666 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 09:00 AM
link   
Ok if this happens due to chemical products, then is the human health that is in risk. However, farmers say this also happens to chemical-free watermelons which is very strange !

Also not sure if these watermelons are for internal market consumption only.

Any idea of what might be causing this ?

Here`s the full story:

An investigation by state media found farms in Jiangsu province were losing acres of fruit because of the problem.

The overuse of a chemical that helps fruit grow faster was blamed in one report by China Central Television.

But agriculture experts were unable to explain why chemical-free melons were exploding. They cited the weather and abnormal size of the melon as factors.

China Central Television said farmers were overspraying their crops with the growth promoter, hoping they could get their fruit to market ahead of the peak season and increase their profits.

Chemical-free

According to the Xinhua news agency, 20 farmers in a village in Jiangsu province planted imported seeds from Japan, with 10 households saying their watermelons began exploding last month.

Farmer Liu Mingsuo told Xinhua that more than two-thirds of his crop had blown up.

He said he had used chemicals to boost their growth on 6 May, and the following day more than 180 melons exploded. Mr Liu was reported to be the only farmer from the 10 households who used chemicals.

Wang Dehong, who has been farming watermelons for 20 years, couldn't understand why his fruit also exploded as he had not used any chemicals.

Agricultural experts investigating the incident were unable to offer an explanation.

China has approved the usage of the growth chemical under certain quotas. So far, tests show the chemical is safe, Xinhua reported.

However, as the public is increasingly concerned about food safety, experts say a quality tracking system should be introduced, detailing every stage along the food chain, to inform the public fully, and ensure food safety.

www.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 09:06 AM
link   
Interesting! I wonder if this is going to be the start of a new trend. Perhaps a new brand of GM, a test of some sort?

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 09:07 AM
link   
What the hell.... That is very strange. If my watermellons explode this summer, I will not be a happy camper.

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 09:12 AM
link   
reply to post by TKDRL

What kind of watermellons are you talking about ?!

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 09:15 AM
link   
reply to post by AQ6666

I'm guessing that they explode because they can no longer hold the gas inside.

Just a guess.

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 09:19 AM
link   
reply to post by imasecretspy

...So how do you explain this never happened before ?

Wang Dehong, who has been farming watermelons for 20 years, couldn't understand why his fruit also exploded as he had not used any chemicals.

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 09:25 AM
link   
reply to post by AQ6666

The skin/rind on the plants got weak. That's how I explain it.

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 09:31 AM
link   

..Or maybe this has something to do with the imported seeds from Japan. Maybe these are Fukuchima seeds

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 09:32 AM
link   

And that's never happened before either? Come on...

Something definitely strange about this. Maybe some sort of bacteria or something that is somehow getting inside the melons? Very odd regardless of the cause! Maybe it's a curse!

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 09:32 AM
link   
That would be quite funny to see this happen in a supermarket.

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 09:33 AM
link   
www.msnbc.msn.com...

The MSNBC article says the chemical they used on the watermelons is allowed for use in the US on grapes and kiwi fruit.

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 09:34 AM
link   
Sounds like the sign of the rapture to come on May 21.
2nd

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 09:35 AM
link   
reply to post by wlasikiewicz

LOL ...that sure would be very funny to watch

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 09:39 AM
link   
This IS weird. It's not like watermelons have any open space inside. They are full of
Cells. Something, bacteria (?) must be destroying the centers to create space for gas to build up.

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 09:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by Elsek
Sounds like the sign of the rapture to come on May 21.
2nd

Well that proves it then, exploding water melons mean the end of the world. Time for the Pope to make a balcony speach with regard to killer melons.

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 09:41 AM
link   
reply to post by AQ6666

I am talking about the ones I will be growing in the garden. Kind of funny how when I put my artwork featuring a female as my avatar I get lots of people making boob jokes at me

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 09:43 AM
link   
Are they normal seeds or GMO seeds, I wonder.

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 09:44 AM
link   
reply to post by TKDRL

LOL, wonder why

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 09:47 AM
link   
Would not like my watermelons exploding

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join