It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I think my pc's firewall and avast has been breeched

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 08:38 AM
link   
*Note to mods, thread may have to be moved if incorrect placement.*

This has happened to me once before, but last time i lost all info, Blue screened and my machine went DOWN HARD! I just so happen to be ripping videos from youtube with Any Video Converter that had to do with UFOs , cloud ships and what not. None of the videos were the easily dismiss-able balloons or stuff of sorts like that. I used to go online every morning Eastern standard time (north east - US) and search for the latest videos uploaded. I would spend hours scouring through to see if there was any footage worth even saving. (most was not). I DID manage however to save the videos thankfully and export most of them to mini dvds. I may have lost 5-6 videos that day that, and i add.... they have not re-appeared on youtube yet. ( I think we are all familiar with this )

I never found out what did it.

On to current day. I have been scouring once again, saving videos over the past few months. Why do i do it? who knows, Keep historical data, see what stays up and what gets taken down. i dont know. I just do it.

Due to current events i guess i found it necessary in my eyes to download certain videos. Some of these lately have been the entire Zeitgeist movie project several videos of the latest "natural disasters" and yes, my personal favorite, UFOS.

It was not untill i started watching the zeitgeist movies more and more. I found myself watching footage from 9/11 that im sure MOST of you have seen. The stories behind the "internal explosions" and the September Clues video put together pointing out the facts of image masking and the image matrix pool.

That besides the point, (we are not discussing if they are real or not) I was once again ripping movies in MASS this morning from about 2am to 4am EST.

I noticed my PC started to begin to slow down, BIG TIME! so being a windows user i so handily hit ctrl alt del , and i notice a strange process running that was not there before.

winsystem.exe

I started to think, what is this. I quickly ended it, and to my surprise, it was like i hit the speed switch. My PC went from choppy and stuttering to lighting! like it has been for months. So i started looking into it and cannot really find out where it originates from . I foudn the following:
how to remove
winsystem.exe

I guess what im trying to get to is that.... Is this a spying process of some sorts? where the hell did it come from? the videos i downloaded, I think not. unless Avast has failed me FINALLY after 4 years? PLEASE HELP ME! are "they" screwing with me or am i just diving in too deep?

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 08:40 AM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 08:41 AM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 08:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Libran1

are "they" screwing with me or am i just diving in too deep?

I seriously doubt anyone is "screwing" with you.

I'm betting that its coming from the movies you download.

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 08:45 AM
link   
have you ever used AVC? i download them directly from youtube. (rip them) I then scan them, with Avast. and then i convert them to usually a smaller less weighty format. i never get one bad read from them.

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 08:45 AM
link   
Its a threat..
www.threatexpert.com...
part of a backdoor.
spyware and trojans...
man i love linux,
for me to save a youtube video, i just let it load in the browser and run one command line script, and it saves the last played video to my hard drive as an .flv, no downloaders needed..so easy.
then to convert i just use ffmpeg.
edit on 17-5-2011 by sprocket2cog because: typo

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 08:47 AM
link   
reply to post by sprocket2cog

Funny you should say that, i am in the process of deciding which distro is going on now! You have any ideas of some new stuff out there. something SECURE... backdoor maybe?

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 08:49 AM
link   
Not a conspiracy. More likely a virus, or your computer isn't powerful enough to handle YouTube.

If it only happens when you're using one program to try and rip video, maybe try a different program?

Not a conspiracy, just tech support 101.

My computer's crashing and slowing down - must be the NWO? Give me a break. You're not that important and they're not that interested in you. It's egotistical of you to think they care if you watch Zeitgeist, 9/11, and UFO videos on your computer.
edit on 17-5-2011 by babybunnies because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 08:50 AM
link   
I do this with videos all the time of music...everything... its only when i start my tin foil hat downloads when it starts.

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 08:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by Libran1
I do this with videos all the time of music...everything... its only when i start my tin foil hat downloads when it starts.

Then those files that you download to watch those movies contain virusses. Case closed.

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 08:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Libran1

linux by default is secure, nothing can run with out your permission, nothing can install to root like windows with outyou letting it.
so i dont run any virus software, i just have a firewall, which is free and works well.
its called firestarter
as for distros, well ubuntu or mint is my choice.
and theres also media realses with editing software etc in the distro.
but you can add this to your distro easy enuff with package manager later.
do a search for linu and your hardware first to make sure you get one thats easy to get running with your wifi or sound for example.
and if you dual boot with windows first, then if it dosnt work at least you can fall back to that.
im running maverick ubuntu on my netbook, everything worked out of the box,
webcam, wifi ,sound etc..
so much easier then windows driver downloads.

edit on 17-5-2011 by sprocket2cog because: typo

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 08:54 AM
link   
reply to post by babybunnies

not case closed, if they are from youtube i highly doubt they are letting infected videos on to their site. (i havent found the connection yet anyways) ive had the mods disallow my video before for stupid reasons far less than a virus embeded, besides i scan and convert them, then the original d/l is deleted

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 08:56 AM
link   
"they" have not breached your system.
Maybe you came acros a website which had some kind of virus and Avast! did not recognized it.

Please do not be so paranoid.
I have an uncle who clicked by accident on a pop-up and his pc was totally screwed.

I dont know how to help you at this time, but if you keep your pc and virusscanner up to date and don't visit the dodgy (conspiracy) sites, you should be save most of the times.

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 08:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Libran1

winsystem.exe is not a legitimate windows process. It's obviously an infection of some sort, not very advanced if you can actually see it in the process list.

Well, as I do this for work, the most thorough answer is backup important data, scan THAT data on a non compromised system to be safe, then wipe and reinstall.

The IT guy in me (this is what I would do) would first verify the settings on my router and firewall, making sure no connections that shouldn't be there are, and making sure only the ports I want open are indeed open. Once infected you installed AV and firewall are useless. You can use an online scanner like bitdefender, that is free and will clean a lot of stuff out, but it's not fool proof.

Then I'd start digging, I'd install "tcp process port linker" and check what ports that exe is accessing. I'd then do a deep search (enabling advanced search, search hidden system folders, search for name and search for containing text) and look for anything linked to that exe.

In most cases, you'll have it in your prefetch folder waiting to open itself up again the next time you do anything. If this is the case, safe mode, or a linux boot disk, to manually wipe out the exe, any traces of it in the registry and prefetch, then I'd run some bootable virus scans.

9/10 you got this from a website. Obviously you can't use safety features on this site as it's in the T&C, but for any site outside of the ATS family I'd suggest:

Firefox, preferably the newest build. Adblock plus and NoScript or YesScript addons installed. block scripts on all sites and only allow the specific scripts you need. For example, you go to a blog site that has adds and video and such. If you want to view the video you can right click it and enable just that object, instead of allowing scripts for the entire site.

Simply doing that, coupled with even the basic windows firewall, and you'll be pretty darn secure, you will actively have to hit the "stupid" button to get infected.

to take it a step beyond, you can also get a program called "sandboxie" or a clone, which will allow you to run applications in an isolated system, so even if it's a virus, it's completely contained. When downloading and testing apps from *questionable* sources, this is a must.

p.s.

This had nothing to do with the videos you have, and it probably became apparent as encoding and converting video takes a lot of cpu cycles, cycles your infection was trying to use. AVI files can contain macros which could potentially carry executable code. FLV files streamed or downloaded from Youtube, do not. FLV files from other sites, who knows, it's a flash file. Most people understand that youtube is flash, but they fail to understand that flash is an entire programming suit and could potentially package a virus in a FLV container.

It's only a coincidence this happened at the time when dealing with alternative videos.
edit on 17-5-2011 by phishyblankwaters because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 08:57 AM
link   
reply to post by sprocket2cog

thanks sprocket, ive ran linux MANY times i prefer it actually. But i was so used to recording music and stuff in windows i switched back for a music project, never switched back.... I now have a few PCs so they will be all getting re-dos and one strictly for music

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 08:58 AM
link   
reply to post by phishyblankwaters

av and firewall were setup as soon as the OS was installed

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 09:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Libran1

Virus- and trojan-writers know which stuff gets the views--and the tin-foil-hat stuff is some of their best draws. They use it like a honey-pot. That's the only conspiracy.

Anyway, these are known as "drive-by" downloads. It's done with a simple hidden re-direct of your browser. If you're using Firefox, set it to notify you of re-directs and you'll see it....

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 09:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Libran1

well if your into music, have a look at ubuntu studio distro.
ubuntustudio.org...

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 09:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Libran1

Forgot to ask, what was the blue screen error code? That's the most important, and helpful thing, you could post about this situation.....

as for linux. I use a few flavors at work. Ubuntu (stopping at 10.4) is pretty good and most windows users won't take too long to get comfortable with it. Hardware drivers are really the only pain in the butt and the ubuntu software update system is great, almost as completely automated as windows update.

If you are on a laptop with a wireless card, verify you can get drivers for it before you install, trust me on this.

I also use Debian for our F.O.G. server. This OS I would not recommend to a novice, it's a pain in the butt and it constantly has xwindow failures forcing you to get to a terminal prompt and start a new xwindow process, which eventually causes problems later.

FedoraCore is another great windows like linux os you might want to try and they offer "Live" cds, which are full Os discs that you boot, never installing, don't even actually need a harddrive, just a good amount of ram.

Dynbolic is quite possibly the best music producing oriented linux OS out there, if you make music, or are interested in electronic music, check this live CD out for sure.

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 09:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by phishyblankwaters
reply to post by Libran1

winsystem.exe is not a legitimate windows process. It's obviously an infection of some sort, not very advanced if you can actually see it in the process list.

Well, as I do this for work, the most thorough answer is backup important data, scan THAT data on a non compromised system to be safe, then wipe and reinstall.

The IT guy in me (this is what I would do) would first verify the settings on my router and firewall, making sure no connections that shouldn't be there are, and making sure only the ports I want open are indeed open. Once infected you installed AV and firewall are useless. You can use an online scanner like bitdefender, that is free and will clean a lot of stuff out, but it's not fool proof.

Then I'd start digging, I'd install "tcp process port linker" and check what ports that exe is accessing. I'd then do a deep search (enabling advanced search, search hidden system folders, search for name and search for containing text) and look for anything linked to that exe.

In most cases, you'll have it in your prefetch folder waiting to open itself up again the next time you do anything. If this is the case, safe mode, or a linux boot disk, to manually wipe out the exe, any traces of it in the registry and prefetch, then I'd run some bootable virus scans.

9/10 you got this from a website. Obviously you can't use safety features on this site as it's in the T&C, but for any site outside of the ATS family I'd suggest:

Firefox, preferably the newest build. Adblock plus and NoScript or YesScript addons installed. block scripts on all sites and only allow the specific scripts you need. For example, you go to a blog site that has adds and video and such. If you want to view the video you can right click it and enable just that object, instead of allowing scripts for the entire site.

Simply doing that, coupled with even the basic windows firewall, and you'll be pretty darn secure, you will actively have to hit the "stupid" button to get infected.

to take it a step beyond, you can also get a program called "sandboxie" or a clone, which will allow you to run applications in an isolated system, so even if it's a virus, it's completely contained. When downloading and testing apps from *questionable* sources, this is a must.

p.s.

This had nothing to do with the videos you have, and it probably became apparent as encoding and converting video takes a lot of cpu cycles, cycles your infection was trying to use. AVI files can contain macros which could potentially carry executable code. FLV files streamed or downloaded from Youtube, do not. FLV files from other sites, who knows, it's a flash file. Most people understand that youtube is flash, but they fail to understand that flash is an entire programming suit and could potentially package a virus in a FLV container.

It's only a coincidence this happened at the time when dealing with alternative videos.
edit on 17-5-2011 by phishyblankwaters because: (no reason given)

now i remeber why i left the microsoft crowd...
thanks for reminding me how convoluted it is to play it safe..
now i just run wine or virtual box if i want to play a windows game or do something i cant do on linux..
but with all the free opensource software now, its closing the gap on functionality.
im surprised as your in IT that you dont run linux (edit you mentioned this in the next post)
but yes as my dad is a programmer for a mining company, i know that a lot of software only runs on windows...
but thats the problem isnt it...
not knocking you btw, just getting your views

oh and ubuntu and mint both do live distros too now.and you can live boot from a usb flash drive if your computer supports usb booting
edit on 17-5-2011 by sprocket2cog because: dang typos...

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join