It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Sugar Conspiracy

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 07:24 PM
link   
reply to post by DevolutionEvolvd

Not quite.

It's because the liver converts about 30% of HFCS into fat.

Only the liver can process fructose.
edit on 18-5-2011 by unityemissions because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 07:38 PM
link   
reply to post by unityemissions

I think you missed the point...

Low-fat foods are high in carbohydrates (most of the time sugar) to replace the calories and sustenance lost from fat. THAT is why they're fattening.

Also, keep in mind, just because fructose is converted to fat doesn't mean it's automatically stored. That depends heavily on the food that is consumed alongside and after the fructose consumption (and on the metabolic state of the individual)

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 07:39 PM
link   
The truth about sugar is that it should be used in moderation just like all drugs.

Or for a specific purpose, for example if you work out very intensely a sugar based substance is very helpful.

However, if you sit on a coach and eat sugary food it is like abusing any other drug.

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 07:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by DevolutionEvolvd

I think you missed the point...

Low-fat foods are high in carbohydrates (most of the time sugar) to replace the calories and sustenance lost from fat. THAT is why they're fattening.

I'm still missing the point. I don't see any reason in what you're saying. They're not fattening merely to replace lost fat. Someone can get unhealthily fat from excess sugar consumption. So, your reasoning doesn't make much sense. Maybe I'm missing something very simple.

Also, keep in mind, just because fructose is converted to fat doesn't mean it's automatically stored. That depends heavily on the food that is consumed alongside and after the fructose consumption (and on the metabolic state of the individual)

Agreed, except doesn't it specifically depend on one's levels of glycogen storage? If the glycogen is near empty, the carbs will replace the loss. If they are full, the excess will likely get stored as fat to a high degree.

EDIT: I think we're arguing the exact same things, and missing each other's way of describing these processes from a slightly different angle. My bad.
edit on 18-5-2011 by unityemissions because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 08:06 PM
link   

Skyfloating said this:

Forgot to mention the "no-Fat" conspiracy which makes people believe they can lose weight by purchasing "no-Fat" foods that are so full of sugar that they actually GAIN weight from them.

I responded...

That's because when you remove the fat, the only other macronutrient that can provide sustenance at a similar value is carbohydrate...which is often times in the form of sugar.

When you remove the fat...it is replaced by carbohydrate, and mainly sugar.

EDIT: I think we're arguing the exact same things, and missing each other's way of describing these processes from a slightly different angle. My bad.

Yeah...probably. It happens.

Agreed, except doesn't it specifically depend on one's levels of glycogen storage? If the glycogen is near empty, the carbs will replace the loss. If they are full, the excess will likely get stored as fat to a high degree.

What's interesting is, HFCS actually refuels glycogen levels much quicker than does glucose (hinting that gatorade may not be so bad during strenuous workout). As I'm sure you know, the byproduct of fructose metabolism is VLDL (which is almost always carrying triglycerides). But, just because, say if glycogen levels are full, you end up with VLDL (and eventually LDL), it doesn't mean that it simply piles into the fat cells. It almost always is if accompanied by sucrose, due to the subsequent insulin spike.

Otherwise, the fat produced by fructose metabolism can be burned as energy.
edit on 18-5-2011 by DevolutionEvolvd because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 08:33 PM
link   
be it fructose, sucrose, lactose, galactose, it always glucose with more hydrogen carbon and oxygen, and your body always converts it back to glucose, Without a constant supply of glucose cellular respiration stops, your body shuts down and dies. To much of it is of corse bad, but natural sugar is still better than aspertaime

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 09:04 PM
link   
reply to post by connorromanow

Don't be silly. Cellular respiration, or the metabolic pathway to produce ATP (Adenosine Triphosphate), can be achieved without glucose. In fact, Fat oxidation accounts for around 70% of ATP production during rest and light aerobic exercise.

And you're forgetting one little, teeny weeny fact: Glucose is not necessary dietarily. It can and will be produced by the body in times when dietary glucose is not available.

edit on 18-5-2011 by DevolutionEvolvd because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 09:19 PM
link   
Here is one for ya,.
It is because of sugar most people burn in the sun.
Without sugar(refined of any sort) your skin will not burn as easily.
Read book "Sugar Blues"
I used to get heartburn often,. I quit sugar.. no more heartburn.
all these people that take Nexium, previcid, OTC, and ANY other heartburn medication
just need to change their diets to stop heartburn. quit the manufactured sugars, white flours,
Diet sodas, ANYTHING that is created in a lab,. and you will see almost all your health issues go
away. If it isnt sweetened by nature,. dont eat it, cause you dont need it

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 09:27 PM
link   
I just recently learned that not all sugar is the same!

Did you know that sugar that is made from sugar beets looks exactly like granulated sugar that comes from sugar cane?
Did you know that virtually all sugar beets are Genetically Modified?
Did you know that GM foods are toxic to humans, animals and will pollinate natural food plants, rendering them sterile?

The only way to tell if the sugar you are buying is made from natural sugar from sugar cane is it says on the package "Pure Cane Sugar" If it only says "Sugar", it is toxic, GM sugar from sugar beets!

Many sweeteners, and products like candy and chocolate that contain them, can come from GMO sources. Look for organic and non-GMO sweeteners, candy and chocolate products made with 100% cane sugar, evaporated cane juice or organic sugar to avoid GM beet sugar, and watch out for soy lecithin in chocolates and corn syrup in candies. The sweetener aspartame is derived from GM microorganisms. It is also referred to as NutraSweet® and Equal® and is found in over 6,000 products, including soft drinks, gum, candy, desserts, yogurt, tabletop sweeteners, and some pharmaceuticals such as vitamins and sugar-free cough drops

Source

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 09:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Skyfloating

i've read a little here & there about sugar cane crops being heavily subsidized by the US Gov't. i'd like to know more on this, what this means, and also how it affects sugar as a commodity.

seems like most of the sugar we consume (in America) is highly processed from its natural raw state. from what i know of good nutrition, the more something is processed, the more it becomes not so good for you.

i'm guilty of loving yummy good-tasting sugary treats wayyyyy too much, and i'm the size of a Volkswagon because of it. it's my own darn fault.

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 10:24 PM
link   
reply to post by DevolutionEvolvd

ok, i worded what i was saying wrong,when you run out of glucose, your body manufactures it from fat and protien, but the point i was trying to make was that sugar is fairly useful to us

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 12:55 AM
link   
reply to post by connorromanow

Yes. Glucose is very useful. But don't ever think dietary glucose is essential. It's not.

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 01:44 AM
link   
10 facts you didn't know about sugar.

1: Helps reduce cancer risks.
2: Promotes a healthy immune and cardiovascular system.
3: Helps lower cholesterol.
4: Helps the body's metabolism burn fat.
5: 3 teaspoons of sugar contain 150% of the needed daily value of vitamin C.
6: Helps fight insomnia, anxiety and depression.
7: Helps prevent neural tube problems in pregnant women.
8: It increases your IQ level.
9: Protects the nervous and digestive system
10: It is a cure for aids.

I can list many more wonderful facts.
Okay, all the above might be bullsh!t but I'm bias, dad has a sugarcane farm.

SUGAR IS FRICKING AWESOME, BUY AND EAT AS MUCH AS YOU CAN.

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 02:03 AM
link   
Anything in excess can be deadly. Sugar being just one example. Salt, meat, and naturally occuring caffeines are other things that aren't in and of themselves dangerous in moderation. Sugar, salt, and meat (or protein) are actually things that keep our bodies running the way it should. Moderation is key. If you are healthy but gaining weight or having other dietary related problems, change your diet. Our bodies are our responsibility. Treat your body right and it will serve you well. But it will only run as good as the fuel it is given to run on.

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 04:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by JudasIscariot

SUGAR IS FRICKING AWESOME, BUY AND EAT AS MUCH AS YOU CAN.

You seem to think that saying so makes it so. I started getting skeptical at "sugar cures AIDS".

edit on 19-5-2011 by Skyfloating because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 06:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skyfloating

You seem to think that saying so makes it so. I started getting skeptical at "sugar cures AIDS".

You trying to tell me that sugar has made me delusional?... Maybe I should stop brushing my teeth with sugar

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 08:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by JudasIscariot

Okay, all the above might be bullsh!t but I'm bias, dad has a sugarcane farm.

Wow,.
so you are related to someone that knowingly destroys peoples lives.
Nice.

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 08:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lil Drummerboy

Wow,.
so you are related to someone that knowingly destroys peoples lives.
Nice.

Yeah, my dad is a mass murderer, he forcefully shoves it down people's throats.

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 08:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Skyfloating

I don't think that they're the same but they are both certainly dangerous in high concentrations.

I'm trying to reduce my sugar intake and I do notice more clarity when I skip sugary drinks for a day or two. It's hard sometimes but most certainly not impossible.

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 08:47 PM
link   
I always said that sugar is the most addictive "white stuff" out there.

I try to limit my refined sugars to under 15g/day. It's very difficult, but possible to do.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join