The Sugar Conspiracy

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 08:24 AM
link   
This thread is to examine the possibility of sugar as a conspiracy or at least a self-inflicted menace. I am by no means an anti-sugar fanatic but I have noticed that in periods of refraining from sugar I have felt more energetic and alive whereas phases of frequent sugar-consumption have seemed to be linked to feeling down and dull. I would like to challenge anyone who is a frequent-sugar eater to go a few days without any at all and report back whether there was not a significant shift in mood.

Since thinking about sugar I have noticed that its everywhere, even in stuff we dont normally suspect it in. It enters our bodies as sucrose, lactose, fructose, glucose not only in sweets, candy, cake, pudding but also in ordinary foods (meat, bread, milk, etc.). Sugar addiction is linked to Hypoglycemia of which some of the symptoms are:

Shakiness, anxiety, nervousness
Palpitations, tachycardia
Sweating, feeling of warmth (although sweat glands have muscarinic receptors, thus "adrenergic manifestations" is not entirely accurate)
Pallor, coldness, clamminess
Dilated pupils (mydriasis)
Feeling of numbness "pins and needles" (paresthesia)
Hunger, borborygmus
Nausea, vomiting, abdominal discomfort
Headache
Abnormal mentation, impaired judgment
Nonspecific dysphoria, moodiness, depression, crying, exaggerated concerns
Negativism, irritability, belligerence, combativeness, rage
Personality change, emotional lability
Fatigue, weakness, apathy, lethargy, daydreaming, sleep
Confusion, amnesia, dizziness, delirium
Staring, "glassy" look, blurred vision, double vision
Flashes of light in the field of vision
Automatic behavior, also known as automatism
Difficulty speaking, slurred speech
Ataxia, incoordination, sometimes mistaken for "drunkenness"
Focal or general motor deficit, paralysis, hemiparesis
Paresthesia, headache
Stupor, coma, abnormal breathing
Generalized or focal seizures

Sugar acts like a drug making one high, charging up the blood levels. But once that high subsides, one feels tired and drained and needs more sugar to feel high again. This is likely a major cause of obesity.

What better way to keep a population docile and subdued than to make sugar the #1 Food?

Because refined sugar contains no minerals, enzymes, proteins or fibers the body must work overtime to extract nutrients and macronutrients such as calcium and magnesium and potassium from elsewhere. This causes a lack of nutrients overall. Sugar has also been linked to ADHD and Depression (not to mention Diabetes and rotting teeth).

Here's an interesting video I found called "Big Sugar":

While Im no expert in nutrition nor a health-fanatic, I do think there might be something worth looking into and discussing here.

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 08:33 AM
link   
I love sugar and can't imagine it's even half as bad as high fructose corn syrup. What would you rather have the government putting in our sodas as sweeteners? Sugar? HFCS? Aspartame? I'll choose sugar.

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 08:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Skyfloating

S&F. How can something as sweet and innocent as sugar be to blame for anything? Like you say Not That Innocent. When I gave up sugar for a time I found it stopped that itchy and tingling feeling you get in your legs and feet that prevent you from sleeping. Restless leg syndrome I think they call it. I think it is a hoot corn syrup is trying to jump up in caliber and reputation and be called sugar. How bad has that got to be? One is as bad as the other. No winners here.

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 08:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by hazey
I love sugar and can't imagine it's even half as bad as high fructose corn syrup. What would you rather have the government putting in our sodas as sweeteners? Sugar? HFCS? Aspartame? I'll choose sugar.

Well you should try to imagine a little harder because it is a deadly chemical and it just takes a long time before it kills you but you will be just as dead from an overworked adrenal system as anything else that might take your life.

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 08:43 AM
link   

Wow great OP, I've been thinking about it recently and this is a huge issue (pun not intended) for the world. Conspiracy, plan, deliberate, by accident - who knows for sure a combination of them all but the global addiction to sugar is in the top ten for terrible human actions and its instructive to look at this issue to understand wider implications.

The least of which is our governments are on purpose or by accident poisoning the hearts and mind of every one of their populace daily and the MSM will never cover it. The rub is some chemical substitutes are awful, I'm looking at you Rumsfield, and sugar products are nice to eat and they have a time and a place.
Some major thinking should be done, at least on an individual level you can make changes and one It clicked that by eating sugar you have to eat twice, it made changes to my diet a bit easier.

Lots of say its a massive issue and I don't want to post pics of fat yanks with a diet cola in their hand as its too obvious.

Edit to ad I would like to challenge anyone who is a frequent-sugar eater to go a few days without any at all and report back whether there was not a significant shift in mood. - I would guess its like an addiction withdrawal, the first week would be terrible but then 6 months later they might feel fantastic., There would be a shift of mood after a couple of days and I would not like to be around to see it - over-eating often has an emotional aspect.

Peace
edit on 17-5-2011 by yyyyyyyyyy because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 08:45 AM
link   

Your right about feeling good after just having some sugar but once it wears off you get tired etc I'm on the red bull a lot at work full of sugar and at the end of the day I have the shakes and no energy what so ever.
If you didn't know we was talking about sugar you would think we were talking about drugs.

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 08:48 AM
link   
You are absolutely correct. Now I have no issue with sugar, if you wanna go slam a coke be my guest, but I feel way better without it.

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 08:51 AM
link   
After feeling terrible for some time, I gave up all foods that have white flour/sugar. I feel better, and have gone back to using some regular sugar in tea or some desserts. No HFCS or aspartame, splenda, etc.

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 08:53 AM
link   
A thread I completely agree with SF on,

Seriously though, this is an important topic, but many don't seem to care all too much.

I'm pretty sure most people within the U.S. have already heard more than a few times that excess sugar consumption leads to a wide range of health issues...but few are truly doing what it takes to break the addiction.

I stopped drinking soda and consuming HFCS about a decade ago. The thing is that I switched to fruit juices which really isn't all too much better.

I finally spent a full year on an unsweet tea, and chicken/turkey diet. That slimmed me down from 170lbs to 145lbs, and I became a lot more healthy.

Now my diet is much more balanced, and includes some fruit, lots of veggies, lean meats, whole grains, legumes, and nuts.

People just don't care, for the most part. It seems to be too much effort to get off the junk.....food. Let them be. They'll just die out early. Score for our species, sad to say.

Oh I forgot to mention. I truly think because of my dietary habits, my teeth are in excellent condition. I've NEVER had a cavity, and NEVER floss, and ONLY brush once a day. All natural toothpaste, and mouthwash. Dentist said my teeth puts me in about the top .01%...and that's with a ton of funky smokage.

edit on 17-5-2011 by unityemissions because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 08:55 AM
link   
I agree with you OP, i use to drink about 2/3Litres of Dr Pepper PER DAY (lol an outrageous amount) Ive completely given up fizzy drinks recently and stick to water and squash and Ive definetly noticed a difference in how i feel and my diets alot better in general, although i eat a fair amount of sweets which is quite bad still but i love those new rowntree sour gums
I also had to get my first 2 fillings at age 18 (which by todays standards is considered GOOD, what a disgrace) which was undoutedbly caused by all the dr pepper i use to drink, now adays whenever i see someone drinking coca-cola or any fizzy drink it disgusts me.

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 08:57 AM
link   
I am a chocoholic and I will agree with this though. I do know when I go periods of time without I have something like a sugar withdrawl. I do feel much better when I am not eating lots of sugary things. I am more partial to dark chocolate, the darker the better.

I use to drink a lot of soda years ago and that was the best thing I ever gave up. Now I have one here and there and when I go out to eat I get water and soda because I usually only crave a sip or two of it not the entire glass.

I actually wake up in the middle of the night and in my half asleep phase go to the kitchen and attack the M&M bowl that is always there. Many times I don't even remember doing it but i wake up and there is a handful of M&M's next to my bed on a paper towel. Chocolate is the only thing I tend to do this with. I have always wondered why I do this...Honestly it does bother me. It's like I get a craving for it in my sleep and will stumble to the kitchen for it. I have literally woken up with M&Ms in my hand and wondered when I got up to get them..

S&F!

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 08:57 AM
link   
I'm Type II diabetic. Haven't had sugar in over a year. You can avoid sugar entirely if you're careful about what you eat and read labels.

However, those who say "we're being lied to about how bad it is" are delusional. Sugar isn't bad in moderation. However, the amount of sugar and sucrose derivatives that are in EVERYTHING that most people eat is frightening. The average person eats way more sugar and caffeine that people used to. High Fructose Corn Syrup is in just about every processed food.

Have you noticed that nearly every food out there has a "recommended daily limit", set by the FDA? Not sugar. No limits are set, because the FDA claim that it is "impossible to set limits for Sugar".

One of the contributors towards food shortages is that a huge portion of American arable land is allocated to corn being grown for High Fructose Corn Syrup. This corn is different from regular corn and can't be consumed by humans in its natural state. Whoever heard of a vegetable that had to be processed before it could be consumed safely?

The amount of sugar that our kids and that we as adults consume is absolutely staggering. With the proliferation of sugar and junk food in general since the 1950's, we don't need the Government to tell us that massive amounts of sugar and fat are the biggest problem behind America's ridiculous obesity problem.

The sugar lobbyists will tell you that sugar is not a contributor. However, try cutting out sugar from your diet for a month. Make no other changes. I guarantee that you will lose weight.

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 09:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by mblahnikluver
I am a chocoholic and I will agree with this though. I do know when I go periods of time without I have something like a sugar withdrawl. I do feel much better when I am not eating lots of sugary things. I am more partial to dark chocolate, the darker the better.

I use to drink a lot of soda years ago and that was the best thing I ever gave up. Now I have one here and there and when I go out to eat I get water and soda because I usually only crave a sip or two of it not the entire glass.

I actually wake up in the middle of the night and in my half asleep phase go to the kitchen and attack the M&M bowl that is always there. Many times I don't even remember doing it but i wake up and there is a handful of M&M's next to my bed on a paper towel. Chocolate is the only thing I tend to do this with. I have always wondered why I do this...Honestly it does bother me. It's like I get a craving for it in my sleep and will stumble to the kitchen for it. I have literally woken up with M&Ms in my hand and wondered when I got up to get them..

S&F!

There's several white powdery substances which cause withdrawals when you don't get them anymore. Many people are addicted to sugar.

Try cutting it out of your diet completely for a month. If you need help, check out a diabetic's diet and stick to that for a month.

I guarantee it will cure you of your sweet tooth.

I used to be a chocoholic too before I was diagnosed diabetic. It's been over a year. The other day, just before Easter, I was in the store, and looking at all the chocolate eggs everywhere. I realized that I don't even miss it now, at all.

I'd rather have a carrot or a stick of celery. Now I crave vegetables.

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 09:06 AM
link   
reply to post by babybunnies

The thing is I don't eat a lot of chocolate, I use to but I cut out all crap food years ago. I drink a lot of water now and keep the junk food intake at a minimal. Sometimes it's hard though cause it's easy to get and fast but boy do I feel like crap after I eat it.

My roommate always has a huge bowl of peanut M&M's in the kitchen
I will grab maybe 10 all day if that but I still crave something sweet in my sleep for some reason. I do keep dark chocolate bars and mr. goodbars in the freezer but they could stay there for weeks before I eat them. I guess I just have it there for when the craving hits.

Usually around you know that time of the month is when I really crave chocolate. I could eat 3 bars of dark chocolate and a glass of milk and feel just great.

celery and peanut butter is a favorite!! or I put cream cheese on them..
I do have a huge thing for apples and bananas! I could eat 3 apples in one day but they are getting expensive

edit on 5/17/2011 by mblahnikluver because: (no reason given)
edit on 5/17/2011 by mblahnikluver because: grammar!

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 09:07 AM
link   
Your body absolutely needs sugar to survive. However, your body can break down carbohydrates to attain simple sugar for fuel and eating excessive refined sugar is associated with many problems.

The true evil is high fructose corn syrup. In Canada they even get away with labeling it glucose-fructose. You would think they should at least have to put fructose before glucose in the ingredients, it's misleading.

You're on to something calling it a drug though. The definition of what a drug is depends on the intention of the user, and is not otherwise definitive. For example, a drug is usually considered a substance that alters physiology of the body but is not a food or nutrient, but this is incomplete because the distinction between a drug and a nutrient is not clear. Vitamin C alters physiology. When it is taken in the form of a citrus fruit it is a food, but when taken in a tablet to remedy a cold, it could be considered a drug. Other substances that alter physiology that are not nutritious are thought of as toxins or poisons rather than drugs. Gasoline and solvent vapors are examples. If they are consumed to get high, they might be drugs, but when inhaled unintentionally in the workplace, they may be called environmental toxins. The distinction between toxin and drug is not clear.

Generally, if something is consumed because of its taste, it is not considered a drug. I can take opposition to this claim in the case of refined sugar when it is consumed in excess because of its rewarding taste. This is because of the toxic effects excessive and prolonged consumption of refined sugar (especially HFCS, which is not truly considered sugar). Since most people consume sugar for its taste, and not its nutrition, it is certainly a borderline drug, at least in the gray area of classification when it is consumed solely with the intent to feel good.

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 09:23 AM
link   
Good read folks. Im also glad to see Im not alone in thinking this might be bigger than it seems.

Originally posted by hazey
I love sugar and can't imagine it's even half as bad as high fructose corn syrup.

I thought fructose corn syrup and sugar are pretty much the same thing...
edit on 17-5-2011 by Skyfloating because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 09:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by yyyyyyyyyy
There would be a shift of mood after a couple of days and I would not like to be around to see it - over-eating often has an emotional aspect.

Over-eating certainly covers up emotions, which is why psychological work probably works better than any diet...

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 09:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by unityemissions

many don't seem to care all too much.

...and their overstuffed stomachs dont help in that matter. Im amazed at how lethargic people on a really, really bad diet become.

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 09:47 AM
link   

That's another thing. Portion size. It's insane in the states. People don't generally eat as much as we do....practically any where else in the world that I'm aware of.

I eat 3-5 small to medium sized meals each day.

Rarely do I finish a meal at a restaurant.

Almost always get a good chunk of it to go and eat it as my next meal.

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 09:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by Skyfloating

Originally posted by unityemissions

many don't seem to care all too much.

...and their overstuffed stomachs dont help in that matter. Im amazed at how lethargic people on a really, really bad diet become.

That is so true! About 6yrs ago I ate fast food, drank soda and ate basically crap all the time and I felt like crap. I never wanted to move or do anything. I never really noticed it til I stopped eating all that stuff. When I stopped I realized that when I did eat junk or sugary foods I felt like crap afterwards..My bf at the time use to drink a 12 pack of Mt. Dew in about a day or two! He cut that out and lost 10lbs! Soda is the worst for you and what makes me laugh are people who think diet is better, it's actually worse!

Here is some information on diet soda for those who are interested. It also gives a link in the article to the study they got their information from. It came from a 9 yr study!
Diet Soda...even worse than regular soda
edit on 5/17/2011 by mblahnikluver because: add link of information

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join