It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rogue Waves are caused by Meteorite impacts?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 06:55 AM
link   
One unexplained phenomenon is the mystery of the Rogue Wave. These waves can be up to 30 meters in height or more and have been responsible for the sinking of Oil Tankers, Freighters and other vessels all across the world's oceans. No Ocean basin is immune from them but the question defy's logic of what actually creates them.

Set your mind back to 2010 with the M.Star Tanker incident off the coast of Iran. Seismologists in Iran registered a 3.4 quake and the captain visibly saw a explosion on the horizon moments before the Tanker imploded on its rear Starboard side. No official investigation could come up with any conclusion and so it was just dropped from the msm and forgotten about, but most still think a small meteorite was to blame for the incident. The first official record of this directly affecting a ship at sea. Take into account 70% of the worlds mass is Oceanic, and oceanic amplitude its easily feasibly with larger meteorites landing in the Ocean the waves can travel vast distances across the surface by displacement. Tsunami waves are created by Phase-Waves and thus are of a different nature than a oceanic impact wave caused by debris.

On the show 'Deadliest Catch' they catch just such an event off Alaska hitting one of the crab-vessels in the Bering Sea. Its obviously not a passing Tsunami Phase wave or your typical Surface Low event.

www.youtube.com...
edit on 17-5-2011 by RUDDD because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 07:00 AM
link   
i have a hard time setting my mind back to 2012 considering it's 2011. But I think you got a good theory here. I think it could be multiple things there also. Ice breaking off of a glacier being another.

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 07:02 AM
link   
reply to post by RUDDD

I seriously doubt that they are all caused by meteorites.

Especially when they could be cause by any of these things, for starters:

Diffractive focusing — According to this hypothesis, coast shape or seabed shape directs several small waves to meet in phase. Their crest heights combine to create a freak wave.[8]
Focusing by currents — Waves from one current are driven into an opposing current. This results in shortening of wavelength, causing shoaling (i.e., increase in wave height), and oncoming wave trains to compress together into a rogue wave.[8] This happens off the South African coast, where the Agulhas current is countered by westerlies.
Nonlinear effects — It seems possible to have a rogue wave occur by natural, nonlinear processes from a random background of smaller waves.[9] In such a case, it is hypothesised, an unusual, unstable wave type may form which 'sucks' energy from other waves, growing to a near-vertical monster itself, before becoming too unstable and collapsing shortly after. One simple model for this is a wave equation known as the nonlinear Schrödinger equation (NLS), in which a normal and perfectly accountable (by the standard linear model) wave begins to 'soak' energy from the waves immediately fore and aft, reducing them to minor ripples compared to other waves. The NLS can be used in deep water conditions. In shallow water, waves are described by the Korteweg–de Vries equation or the Boussinesq equation. These equations also have non-linear contributions and show solitary-wave solutions.
Normal part of the wave spectrum — Rogue waves are not freaks at all but are part of normal wave generation process, albeit a rare extremity.[8]
Wind waves — While it is unlikely that wind alone can generate a rogue wave, its effect combined with other mechanisms may provide a fuller explanation of freak wave phenomena. As wind blows over the ocean, energy is transferred to the sea surface. When strong winds from a storm happen to blow in the opposing direction of the ocean current the forces might be strong enough to randomly generate rogue waves. Theories of instability mechanisms for the generation and growth of wind waves—although not on the causes of rogue waves—are provided by Phillips[10] and Miles.[11]

But hey, meteorites just sound cooler!

en.wikipedia.org...

edit on 17-5-2011 by imasecretspy because: typo

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 07:05 AM
link   
reply to post by imasecretspy

Well I think we acknowledge that phase waves make up the majority of rogue waves, but there could still be more causes, it's just interesting to explore possiblities,

new topics

top topics

join