It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Alcohol kills 75,000, a year, Help me ban it.

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 03:25 PM
link   
I think everyone should have the choice of how he/she wants to die...as long as it doesn't Interfere with anyone else...

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 03:29 PM
link   
Thanks guys and girlies

I have had a great read whilst drinking my chilled white wine. Cheers all and no you may not ban it.

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 04:05 PM
link   
There are some ridiculous laws regarding drugs in general in this country. Why is it that a person can get arrested with coc aine and go to jail for 10 or more years yet they can get arrested for rape and get out in 3? Maybe I'm just crazy but rape seems a little more heinous than someone sniffing something at a club.

One might argue that the drugs cause violent crimes such as rape, and by having long jail sentences, or making the substance illegal it fixes the problem before it happens. One might also be an idiot.

While I'm sure a certain percentage of violent crimes might be able to be related back to drug use the majority of drug use does not create violent crimes. It has a lot more to do with the person's mental state. A lot of these same people will commit these crimes eventually regardless of substance abuse. While people can tend to have their judgment "clouded" while using various substances the fact that they cannot handle it is more their problem to handle as there are many people who use the same substances, and handle their self in an acceptable way.

If anything alcohol abuse, or any type of substance abuse for that matter would be a crime against one's self if it is to be considered any type of crime at all, and further more could be simply classified as a medical condition totally negating the need for legal intervention unless the substance abuser is actually negatively effecting another person's well being due to their abuse.

I understand the whole idea of drug use is not healthy, and in the eyes of some is completely unethical, and immoral depending on your values, and religious preference, but law enforcement, nor the government should be involved as long as this behavior is acceptable to you, and the company you keep, and it does not effect another person's rights who chooses not to be involved.

There is a very thin line between protecting people's rights to live their life comfortably, and being the moral police. Prosecuting a person for theft, murder, etc is acceptable because others are involved who presumably do not want to be murdered, stolen from, raped, etc, and are forced into it. Prosecuting a person for drug possession who has not committed a crime against anyone but their self by ingesting/injecting whatever their drug of choice might be crosses that line in my opinion.

It seems that a real solution for the problem (for the people who want a solution for their habit) would be to take the tax money that would pay for their incarceration, and use it to help the individual become a functioning part of society again which sitting in jail for 10 years does not do.

I'm not making judgment about anyone who uses/suffers/whatever from some type of substance abuse/recreation. Everyone has their own vices, and convictions. I'm simply pointing out the obvious flaws which I'm sure everyone already sees anyway.

edit on 17-5-2011 by vexxev because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 04:10 PM
link   
Eh hem.....................make it all legal and let god sort out the dumb ones who didn't know when to stop. All this is really is another safety valve for population control....if you don't cull the herd son the offspring become less desirable.

Maybe its not a bad thing so many people die each year prematurely due to alcohol consumption, drug use, cigarettes....you get the idea.

Its our body, our will. If we want to die early to enjoy a few suds......so be it.

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 04:36 PM
link   
Why don't you stop trying to control the way people live there lives. I was recently hit by a drunk driver as I believe he made a bad choice that night to get behind the wheel of his car but it is his choice to do what he wants and to put something into his body. It's not everyone else's job to control how someone lives I do believe in helping people but I believe in freedom and a person should have the freedom to do what ever they want just like you have the freedom to say you want to ban alcohol but I think this was more truey about legalizing marijuana why don't we let people take care of there self and truely be free stop controlling other people it's not our jobs to do so

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 04:43 PM
link   
reply to post by TheUniverse

But when it comes to drunk drivers and killing people in Car Accidents this is what makes me think about banning alcohol.

Go ahead and ban it, because people like me will make sure drinking and driving is still plentiful.

Ban it and watch Al Capone rise to power, again.

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 05:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by greenfox83
While we ban alcohol we should also ban hand shaking, because 76,000 die from the flu a year. Keep banning things and we won't be able do anything, but twiddle our fingers

It's funny you mention that... I am right in the middle of writing a thread about how I think we should ban finger twiddling.

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 05:04 PM
link   
reply to post by whyamIhere

sorry, I get it now... your satire wasn't obvious at first.

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 05:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Johncarter12345

Would you consider actually reading the thread ?

Sheesh.

Thanks for not supporting me.

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 05:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by OptimusSubprime
reply to post by whyamIhere

"sorry, I get it now... your satire wasn't obvious at first."

No problem...

I am just having some fun.

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 05:42 PM
link   
How about banning the idea of telling another grown human being how to live their life?

Most of us know right from wrong. We don't need the government dictating our every move.

People who consume alcohol do it because they choose to. Who's to tell those people how to live their life? Why not just tell them what they can and can't eat? Who they can marry? How many kids they can have?

Seriously, where does it end? I drink alcohol because I choose to.
Right now I'm 6 months pregnant, therefore I choose NOT to drink alcohol.
I know that drinking it while pregnant will hurt my unborn child, therefore I realize that it is wrong.

Once I have my child, I will most likely resume drinking red wine at some point.
I enjoy it, therefore I drink it.

However, I also know that drinking it everyday will likely result in some sort of physical addiction, therefore I realize that is not such a great idea.

I know right from wrong.
I know what is best for me.
I don't need you or the government to slap a saddle on my back and stick a bit in my mouth to steer me throughout my life.
edit on 17-5-2011 by stupid girl because: (no reason given)

Edit to add: Apparently you are being facetious with your thread? Oh well, you got me then-- hook, line & sinker...lol. Hey, now at least you know where I stand, eh?

edit on 17-5-2011 by stupid girl because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 05:46 PM
link   
Thank you for your post.

I really am stupefied.

At least I read the whole first page.

Change one word in your post...and you will know how I feel.

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 05:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by whyamIhere
Thank you for your post.

I really am stupefied.

At least I read the whole first page.

Change one word in your post...and you will know how I feel.

Yes, you can pretty much substitute your own recreational substance of choice for the word "alcohol" in my reply and I think it would succinctly convey your point.

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 06:19 PM
link   
I think outrage caused by lack of reading comprehension should be banned. I can't believe this is still going on.

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 06:21 PM
link   
reply to post by FEDec

You are the only person that actually got it.

Both of my points.

I think you knew it before you read it...

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 08:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by mayabong
"Let me finish my box of bagged wine and I'll be over to help you. (burp)."

This reply was the funniest.

Thanks for the chuckle.

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 08:07 PM
link   
I think that Doctors and Hospitals kill about twice as much or more each year,,, so can we Ban them?

Stupidity Kills,,,, lets ban that.

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 08:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by EarthCitizen23
I think that Doctors and Hospitals kill about twice as much or more each year,,, so can we Ban them?

Stupidity Kills,,,, lets ban that.

I think we should ban humourlessness which causes people to miss satire. "How many lives could be saved!?!?" I shouted to no one in particular.

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 09:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Weeeden

Originally posted by whyamIhere
reply to post by mydarkpassenger

I was a little disappointed with the knee jerk reactions.

I thought more people would see my point.

To be fair...I did post it around midnight.

Hey, at least I have an excuse... i was drinking!!!!
extra typing here...

Damned skippy brother. I drink and feel the Scottsman in ma veins and mah groin. Never mind that second part, ok?

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 01:40 AM
link   
If you ban alcohol then people will systematically turn to something else.. possibly something even worse. No, what needs to be addressed is individual responsibility, which could be achieved by attempting to appeal to a collective perspective or individual rehabilitation. Although, ultimately, responsibility and change in perspective come of personal experience and 'doing'. I don't think that there is any societal quick-fix for alcohol or drug related problems. The object is rarely the source of the problem; it is how people choose to use it.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join