It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tennessee laws makes it legal for cops to pull you over, take your money and keep it

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 09:02 PM
link   
Ain't the ``war on drugs`` awesome?

Midstate Police Profiting Off Drug Trade?

At the center of this months-long, NewsChannel 5 investigation are laws that let officers pull you over looking for cash -- and, get this, they don't even have to charge you with a crime to keep your money.

It turns out, those kind of traffic stops are happening every day in Middle Tennessee.

"This is really highway shakedowns coming to the U.S.," said Scott Bullock with the conservative-leaning Institute for Justice.

Well duh. Cops robbing people under the cover of ``law``, what's new?

"It looks like that they are not concerned about stopping the drugs, they just want the money," NewsChannel 5 Investigates told Dickson Police Chief Ricky Chandler.

Cops gotta pay their mortgage too!

And this ain't just in Tennessee.
edit on 16-5-2011 by Vitchilo because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 09:25 PM
link   
omg
I am soo wanting to be a Tennessee cop right now.
talk about perks of the job..

I don't blame cops for being corrupt actually...I imagine many cops start off with good intention, but the temptation and slippery slope is part of the job. It doesn't help also that more and more unchecked authority keeps being shovled over to the police.

Sidenote: To the honorable men in blue, first off, from a citizen to you, thank you for keeping on the straight and narrow amid considerable temptation daily...but now please patrol and whistleblow when your partner screws up. Ignoring or covering up others dirty deeds makes you equally blamed.

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 09:27 PM
link   
Hmpf, and people are scared of the military.

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 09:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skewed
Hmpf, and people are scared of the military.

Because there's a difference between American cops and military?

Hell American cops have tanks, automatic weapons, body armor...

The military is better than cops. At least the military doesn't come and kill your dog for no reason. The military doesn't steal your money legally. The military doesn't taze children and the elderly till they die. The military doesn't deal drugs.

Most military are alright people. Most cops are not.

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 09:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

Holy crap this country is f***ed.......

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 09:51 PM
link   
So are the cops just pulling everyday people over and saying, "gimme your wallet," or are they just taking money when they find drugs? I could imagine that criminals may not file complaints about officers stealing their drug money, but everyday citizens?

Either way this is not good to say the least. It is actually disgusting. Officers are supposed to uphold the law, not look the other way when they find lots of drugs, and then rob the criminals. That's bad enough, but I cannot imagine getting pulled over and the cop saying, "License and registration, and all the cash you have too. Oh, and I take credit or debit as well, since I got this cool new phone I bought with money from "my job" that lets me swipe cards..."

Corruption...Maybe it's capitalism's fault. Every man for himself. Get to the top. The American Dream. It doesn't matter who you step on as long as you succeed. Our country is a breeding ground for crime.

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 10:22 PM
link   

I've said it before and I'll say it again...

NOTHING SURPRISES ME ANYMORE!!!!
This is what we get for being such good little sheep.
AND>>>>>it WILL get worse, mark my words.

"You aint seen nothing yet"!!!

Can anyone really be blamed for hating this country anymore???

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 10:35 PM
link   
That's robbery!? It may make way for more fake, dressed and under cover car offers. This time they be stealing money. Those thieves already sexually violate unsuspecting citizens.

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 11:25 PM
link   

At least the military doesn't come and kill your dog for no reason.

Won't much longer and rover will be over...

I reserve the right to bear arms and protect myself and my family from robbers and thieves...

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 11:30 PM
link   
Dont fight with these guys.
Just have to put your green into your trouser lol.

Now entering Tennessee... wai wai! wait... ... ok now.

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 01:29 AM
link   
It is a small sacrifice, but I'm going to give up alcohol that comes from Tennessee.

I'm going to give that state as little money as possible from now on.

top topics

join