It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists find "master switch" gene for obesity

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 12:28 AM
link   
reply to post by seeker11

Haha, yeah. My wife and I usually split a meal, and seeing morbidly obese people in power chairs does nothing but infuriate me. Since when did being a fat ass become a handicap?

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 12:30 AM
link   
reply to post by TokiTheDestroyer

Yes that is what I'm talking about.

I would be sooo embarrassed in the first place, much less riding through a fast food drive through on one of those. I always tell my husband no matter what we must never let ourselves get that complacent or out of shape. EVER. I would be so unhappy with myself haha.

I can see how an obesity drug would be very appealing to some people though. I'd imagine you'd get to a point where you feel so lost and out of control that you think it will be impossible to ever find yourself (pun intended) again.

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 01:31 AM
link   
oh no!
they will switch it on in every one.
so they can sell us more...

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 07:10 AM
link   
Some of those "fatasses" got that way through medication from their disablilities, coupled with a lack of mobility due to same disability.

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 07:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by antar
reply to post by brill

Im thinking of getting one for my already very muscular 16 year old son... Good idea? bad idea?

Just did a search and for fifteen of my British Quid I can get one in just 2 days, hmm you'd only want the best for your son, I might just get one of these, heck they looked great fun on South Park!!

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 07:38 AM
link   
reply to post by TokiTheDestroyer

Dried beans, lentils and huge bags of rice are extremely cheap. Throw in some canned or frozen veg and you have a balanced, healthy diet, that will be cheaper than fast food.

The problem with this is that it takes planning and preparation and many people these days want instant fixes.

Even if science invents drugs to target certain genes, people can overide the benefits by bad food choices and lack of physical activity...and of course there are always side effects.

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 08:12 AM
link   
reply to post by hotbakedtater

Yep and also the fear of not having in the future, so kind of stocking up down the ole hatch...

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 09:10 AM
link   
reply to post by chr0naut

Yeah, I'm Type 2 Diabetic.

Wish I could just diet & excercise it away.

Please stay with me as I show what is really going on. Fat, Diet and Insulin are the real keys to Type II diabetes and Obesity

Type 2 as in "old age diabetes" correct???

I have been a Hypoglycemic (low blood sugar) since I was a teen. The Mayo Clinic says "Hypoglycemia in people without diabetes is much less common." That is because Doctors absolutely refuse to do the testing needed to diagnose it. If as I did, you TELL a Doctor you have it. You will get "Oh, You are much to young" It is treated with diet so they are not interested.

This is the key:

Hypoglycemia after meals
Most hypoglycemia occurs when you haven't eaten (when you're in a fasting state), but that's not always the case. Sometimes, hypoglycemia occurs after meals because the body produces more insulin than is needed. This type of hypoglycemia, called reactive or postprandial hypoglycemia, is typical in people who have had gastric bypass surgery. Mayo Clinic

Again according to Mayo Clinic, excess of insulin after a meal causes:

Your brain needs a steady supply of sugar (glucose), for it neither stores nor manufactures its own energy supply. If glucose levels become too low, as occurs with hypoglycemia, it can have these effects on your brain:

* Confusion, abnormal behavior or both, such as the inability to complete routine tasks
* Visual disturbances, such as double vision and blurred vision
* Seizures, though uncommon
* Loss of consciousness, though uncommon

Hypoglycemia may also cause these other signs and symptoms:

* Heart palpitations
* Tremor
* Anxiety
* Sweating
* Hunger
Mayo Clinic

My wake up call was a breakfast of waffles and syrup followed by a strenuous hike and collapse. Luckily I was with a buddy who had Type I and instantly recognized the collapse as insulin shock.

Typical symptoms are becoming very sleepy after eating a carbohydrate laden meal and an insatiable sweet tooth. Left untreated Hypoglycemia exhausts pancreatic insulin production and leads to "old age diabetes" - both my parents had type II.

Now on to the nitty gritty:
First who OWNS big Pharma (and big AG): READ: You will be surprised and horrified It is a short article that will explain a lot of what follows.

Why don't many doctors know much about Nutrition? Dr. Ray Strand

This article examines why many doctors are ignorant about nutrition. Why so many of them are
unaware of the breakthroughs in nutritional medicine. It discusses the influence of the
pharmaceutical industry over their education. I have assumed that you are aware of the large
amount of medical evidence that high-quality nutritional supplements can provide you with
major health benefits. For instance, that they can greatly reduce your risk of developing
degenerative diseases like cancer and heart disease, amongst others.....

Only 6% or so study nutrition at medical school.

The fundamental reason why doctors do not know much about nutrition is because very few of
them study anything about it at medical school. As discussed further on, this is largely because
the curriculum is heavily influenced by the pharmaceutical drug industry....

Like I said READ that article about who is behind this

So what are those studies???

High fructose processed foods linked to obesity, gout, hypertension, diabetes, cholesterol and fatty liver

...The only organ in your body that can take up fructose is your liver and this is where the problem begins. In contrast, glucose can be taken up by every organ in the body, only 20% of glucose load ends up at your liver - the rest is metabolised by muscles, brain, kidneys, heart etc....

Fructose increases fat production in the liver (also known as denovo lipogenesis) which in turn increases blood fats like cholesterol and triglycerides (glucose does not do this) and liver fat (which could result in non-alcoholic fatty liver disease). In fact fructose is being metabolised via the same pathway as alcohol and is actually damaging your liver in the the same way as alcohol. Fructose causes deposition of fat within the liver...

Fructose increases inflammation which in turn increases insuln levels in the long term:....

Fructose increases uric acid which in turn increases blood pressure and causes gout....

Grain is POISON - THE LECTIN REPORT

...High levels of lectins (specialized proteins) may be found in grains (also known as cereals or pulses), legumes (that is 'beans' including peanuts), dairy and plants in the nightshade family...(includes potato, tomato, eggplant and pepper)

...lectin ... disrupts the membrane and damages the cell and may initiate a cascade of immune and autoimmune events leading to cell death....

This damage leads to a whole range of "symptoms and conditions" Unfortunately these lectins can be passed to humans through "factory farmed" livestock.

The Health Benefits of Grass Fed Beef

Cholesterol
Substantial evidence from recent studies shows that grass fed lean red meat trimmed of visible fat does not raise total blood cholesterol and LDL-cholesterol levels....

Cancer Prevention
Grass-fed beef has higher concentrations of conjugated linoleic acids (CLA), which are fatty acids believed to decrease cancer risk....

Heart Health
Grass-fed beef is higher in Omega-3 fatty acids, which have been found to reduce risk of heart disease....

Weight Loss

The conjugated linoleic acids (CLA) in grass-fed beef may help people maintain a healthy weight.

A couple of years ago, I cut out all sugar and grain products. I changed my diet to organic veggies and grassfed beef. I lost 25 lbs, my high blood pressure and acid reflux vanished and I felt 20 years younger... No more sleep attacks.

Last year, due to travel and economic considerations,, I no longer bought at that farmers market. I substituted store bought veggies, pork and chicken. I gained back all 25 pounds.
In desperation I cleaned out my freezer, drove to the farm and bought the grassfed beef direct. It has been a little over a week and I have ALREADY lost 7 pounds and no longer feel depressed and lethargic.

Metabolism Conference

Following the obesity conference, I attended the annual symposium of the Metabolism Society (used to be the Nutrition and Metabolism Society... Carbohydrate reduction is one of the main themes that keeps coming up in the research, but certainly other dietary factors are important (protein, fats, etc.)...

... talk by Gary Taubes, ....

Again, a highlight was a talk by Gary Taubes, this time on the history of low-carb diets. (I am definitely going to write an article about this.) The main point is that basically since we have had records of people dieting, the primary method has been limiting carbohydrate. Gary cited numerous examples in the historical record. In fact, the ONLY time this hasn't been the case is the last 35 years - and almost the second the recommendations changed, people started gaining weight.

....a very tightly-controlled series of studies done by Diane Stadler, focusing on the affects of diet on appetite hormones such as leptin, ghrelin, etc. The researchers meticulously figured out exactly how many calories the participants needed to eat to maintain their weight, provided food, and carefully measured what was not eaten. Some interesting observations: People on the low-carb diet spontaneously reduced their calorie intake by 30-40%...

Richard Feinman, professor of biochemisty at SUNY Downstate College of Medicine, and director of the Metabolism Society, spoke about how low-carb diets should be the one tried first (and if it doesn't work, then go to something different).

He said that we know that no diet is better for obesity and diabetes,

ay Wortman talked about traditional diets, particularly speaking of those in North America, but a few others as well. He talked about the emphasis on fats in these diets and how each had their own "stable fat", be it bear fat, pemmican, or "oolichan grease" - this last which he has studied extensively. (He was the principle researcher of the study in the excellent video "My Big Fat Diet".)

[The are several more great studies outlined - Crimv]

....To assess the impact of diet on type 2 diabetes risk, researchers from the Harvard School of Public Health examined the dietary habits of 85,059 women participating in the Nurse’s Health Study. The women were then assigned a score based on their diet, with higher scores going to the women who consumed a diet rich in animal fats and protein and low in carbohydrates and lower scores assigned to women following a low-fat, high-carbohydrate diet.

After analyzing the data – which spanned roughly 20 years – the researchers determined that women with the highest scores did not have an increased risk of diabetes....

Commenting on the findings, the study’s lead author notes that he was “surprised that total carbohydrate consumption was associated with type 2 diabetes, and that the relative risk for the glycemic load was so high.” Presumably these findings are surprising to the doctor precisely because they run counter to the general recommendations of nutritionists, who advise people at risk of developing type 2 diabetes to follow a low-fat, high-carbohydrate diet. In our estimation the only surprising thing here is that the findings are at all surprising..... www.marksdailyapple.com...

The effects of eating a low carb diet to treat obesity have been known for 150 years. The "high grain diet" is actually quite new. link

The explanation for Growing World Obesity is simple - GRAIN (US GMO of course) is replacing locally grown foods.

...NAFTA, which entered into force in 1994...

....According to a study by Jose Romero and Alicia Puyana carried out for the federal government of Mexico, between 1992 and 2002, the number of agricultural households fell an astounding 75% - from 2.3 million to 575, 000[19]. www.countercurrents.org...

...Today three companies, Archer Daniels Midland, Cargill, and Bunge control the world’s grain trade. Chemical giant Monsanto controls three-fifths of seed production. Unsurprisingly, in the last quarter of 2007, even as the world food crisis was breaking, Archer Daniels Midland’s profits jumped 20%, Monsanto 45%, and Cargill 60%. Recent speculation with food commodities has created another dangerous “boom.” After buying up grains and grain futures, traders are hoarding, withholding stocks and further inflating prices.... www.globalissues.org...

TPTB controls the USDA and FDA through Revolving door between the US Government and Industry The USDA, FDA and their tame propaganda outlet aka the mass media control what we eat and what we know about what we eat. The low fat, high carb diet of the last decades as been very very lucrative for Big Ag and Big Pharma.

The general population has paid for it with diabetes, obesity, heart disease and many others diet related diseases.

In closing, if your Doctor knows nothing about low carb diets or thinks they are a "fad" it means he is one of the 96% who has not bothered to study nutrition. Go find one who has!

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 06:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by Thepreye

Just did a search and for fifteen of my British Quid I can get one in just 2 days, hmm you'd only want the best for your son, I might just get one of these, heck they looked great fun on South Park!!

Got one off ebay, imho it works fine and 2 other people (women) are gona get one having tried mine, bnib £11 inc post for a male version,
edit on 22-5-2011 by Thepreye because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1   >>

join