It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists find "master switch" gene for obesity

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 07:13 PM
link   

Scientists find "master switch" gene for obesity

news.yahoo.com

Scientists have found that a gene linked to diabetes and cholesterol is a "master switch" that controls other genes found in fat in the body, and say it should help in the search for treatments for obesity-related diseases.
In a study published in the journal Nature Genetics, the British researchers said that since fat plays an important role in peoples' susceptibility to metabolic diseases like obesity, heart disease and diabetes, the regulating gene could be target for drugs to treat such illnesses.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 07:13 PM
link   
Extremely interesting. However the only way this will see the light of day as a treatment for obesity is if they can patent the medicine so they can make a profit.

I wouldn't mind though. Take a pill and lose a ton of weight. Sounds good to me. Hopefully it won't have side effects. Like gamble and win a ton of money in vegas.

news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 07:20 PM
link   
Americans will be happy to read this

edit on 16-5-2011 by Farnhold because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 07:26 PM
link   
reply to post by grey580

This is really world-shaking news.

I would have liked to know more about the sequence and how it expresses both normally and in obese people but it's probably asking too much of the MSM.

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 07:29 PM
link   
Not only Americans, have you noticed people from all countries who are now being fed what the US was under experimentation for over the past 2 decades?

Oh no my friend it is no longer just 'their' problem.

As far as a quick cure, I will hold my reservations as somewhere in past dreams there was one which was like real real real where people died because they wanted to lose weight by some "New" breakthrough.

Be wary. It may not happen to kill people fast enough to make every fat person think twice before joining the bandwagon. It will be a tremendous pressure and take alot of courage to not comply when it is the societal norm to do so.

Dying to the ego...
edit on 16-5-2011 by antar because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 07:33 PM
link   
reply to post by grey580

Here's a 'master switch' gene for obesity America. Eat less, eat more 'real' food, exercise more, stop eating fast food.

Ground breaking!

Oh, wait, it's not a quick-fix. Never mind then.

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 07:42 PM
link   
reply to post by seeker11

Couldn't agree more my friend. Just 20 minutes a day of training or just eating right, Thats the difference in obesity and a healthy living. PLUS YOUR FIVE A DAY

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 07:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by seeker11
reply to post by grey580

Here's a 'master switch' gene for obesity America. Eat less, eat more 'real' food, exercise more, stop eating fast food.

Ground breaking!

Oh, wait, it's not a quick-fix. Never mind then.

wait a minute. you mean this thing isn't gonna help

?

I agree 100% with you, common sense is what's needed but there's a severe shortage of that these days.

brill

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 07:46 PM
link   
reply to post by brill

Haha. I just want to try that because it looks like fun.

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 07:50 PM
link   
reply to post by chr0naut

www.nature.com... nt&exclude-collections=journals_palgrave%2Clab_animal&sp-a=sp1001702d&sp-sfvl-field=subject%7Cujournal&sp-x-1=ujournal&sp-p-1=phrase&sp-p=all&submit=g o
you have to subscribe.. or pay to view :/
seems interesting though.. amused to see the people who think metabolic diseases are due to poor diet and exercise alone... theirs so much more to it...

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 07:54 PM
link   
reply to post by brill

Im thinking of getting one for my already very muscular 16 year old son... Good idea? bad idea?

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 08:35 PM
link   
I didn't know the power switch to McDonald's and to the treadmill were genes. strange....

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 08:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by 2012DragonSlayer

www.nature.com... nt&exclude-collections=journals_palgrave%2Clab_animal&sp-a=sp1001702d&sp-sfvl-field=subject%7Cujournal&sp-x-1=ujournal&sp-p-1=phrase&sp-p=all&submit=g o
you have to subscribe.. or pay to view :/
seems interesting though.. amused to see the people who think metabolic diseases are due to poor diet and exercise alone... theirs so much more to it...

Yeah, I'm Type 2 Diabetic.

Wish I could just diet & excercise it away.

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 08:53 PM
link   

And of course there are the exceptions.

I was generalizing, because in general obesity is due to poor health choices.

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 09:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by seeker11
reply to post by brill

Haha. I just want to try that because it looks like fun.

I have one, nearly socked myself in the face with it. Still haven't gotten the hang of it.

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 10:14 PM
link   

I am not american but. The reason people eat crap is because that is what is affordable, not only the cost but in time as well.

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 10:19 PM
link   
reply to post by brill

is that a "dick" joke on ATS?
lol I am impressed j/k
edit on 16-5-2011 by illdillusions62 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 12:13 AM
link   

You seem to be forgetting that, as you put it 'real food', costs nearly three times as much as its processed counterpart.

Sure am glad you're making the big dollars and can afford it, most of us can't.

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 12:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by TokiTheDestroyer

You seem to be forgetting that, as you put it 'real food', costs nearly three times as much as its processed counterpart.

Sure am glad you're making the big dollars and can afford it, most of us can't.

of course you're right. i recently became a vegetarian though, and what i save from not eating meat, is enough to buy me the veggies.

it's not for everyone though. hah,...making the big dollars. i wish. in fact i have zero income. hey, banana's are cheap. a head of spinach is affordable. i find tomatoes to be a bit expensive though. carrots are definitely in my price range. potatoes, i can afford. add bacon, or beef to that mix and i've just spent all my healthy food money.

ETA zero personal income. 3 of us on 1 income.
edit on 17-5-2011 by seeker11 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 12:25 AM
link   
Also, if you can't eat healthy, just eat smaller portions. Will do a world of difference. I'm from canada originally and moving to the US I was literally shocked at the humongous portion sizes. Cut that in half per meal and you'll be feeling better.

Switch out soda with water. That will actually save you money. Unless you're always buying bottled water, then it should probably even out.

One time I was driving past Burger King and I saw two enormously large women, I mean ENORMOUSLY large women who were riding those medi chairs through a burger king drive through. Seriously, when I see that happening it indicates a problem. IMO.

If nothing else, I'm sure we can all find time to get some exercise. Walk around the block? Neighbordhood unsafe? Get a jump rope and jump in your house. Roof too low? Do some pushups. Take the stairs instead of the elevator or escalator. I don't know...there's tons of small things to do if you're not suffering from a medical condition.
edit on 17-5-2011 by seeker11 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join