It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Greatest American Songwriter.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 05:47 PM
link   
Most people have never heard of Townes Van Zandt, but those who have regard him as one of the, if not THE, greatest songwriters of all time. Although a bluesman by trade, his music transcends genre and his songs are the epitome of perfection. His songs have been covered by hundreds of other musicians, most notably Willie Nelson, Steve Earl, and the Cowboy Junkies (who even named themselves after one of his songs). Please take the time to listen and enjoy. After years of listening to his songs, I simply can't imagine life without his music.

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 05:57 PM
link   
Never heard of him.
Can't say I like him, sorry.

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 06:11 PM
link   
reply to post by HenryPatrick

Man now that is a good debate. Speaking as an Aussie the Americans have truck loads of great songwriters! So many I don't think a definitive answer could never be achieved! I like Robert Johnson, Dylan, Muddy, John Cougar, Springsteen, Carole King & John Fogarty. I love work of the Eagles as well. I could go on all day! But to name the best with clear consensus would be near impossible!
edit on 16-5-2011 by phatpackage because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 06:14 PM
link   

I'm just happy you didn't say Bruce Springstein.

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 09:47 PM
link   
Whether you like their music, or not, surely that title would go to George Gershwin, or Irving Berlin, if anyone.

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 10:14 PM
link   
reply to post by ANOK

if we are talking that era, i would have to go with Cole Porter, but anybody who disagrees with my assessment is simply not listening with an open mind...

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 05:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by HenryPatrick
reply to post by ANOK

if we are talking that era, i would have to go with Cole Porter, but anybody who disagrees with my assessment is simply not listening with an open mind...

Yeah Cole Porter would be up there.

I believe there is more to who is the greatest songwriter than whether I like them or not. I don't listen to any of those composers. As far as era, Berlin covered many decades.

'Your favorite American composer' would have been more fitting question perhaps?

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 08:14 PM
link   
reply to post by ANOK

If we are going to talk about favorite composer, all you have to do is look left because Frank Zappa was the greatest of all time. I believe that songwriter and composer should be separate, but everybody falls under one category or the other.

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 12:18 AM
link   

reply to post by ANOK

If we are going to talk about favorite composer, all you have to do is look left because Frank Zappa was the greatest of all time. I believe that songwriter and composer should be separate, but everybody falls under one category or the other.

OK you want to make a distinction between songwriter and composer, that's fine with me, it's a valid point. I'll just go with my first choice then...

Gershwin. His compositions covered many styles including popular styles. If it has lyrics it's a song.

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 11:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by nvprose1

Mods please keep this thread in the General Chit Chat, because Townes Van Zandt "Music" is so godawful that it doesn't even deserve to be filed under the Music section. Thank you, that is all.

posted on Jun, 25 2011 @ 12:21 AM
link   
Neil Young anyone?

But if we're talking real true blue Americans , Willie Nelson, Johhny Cash, Waylon Jennings , Kris Kristoffesen?
Never liked Dylan.
Never liked Springsteen.

posted on Jun, 25 2011 @ 11:31 AM
link   

Who is this guy lmao I'd say the greatest songwriters of all time? Um, you've definitely heard of the Beatles right? =D

posted on Jun, 25 2011 @ 11:34 AM
link   

Now I know what Hell sounds like lmao

posted on Jun, 25 2011 @ 11:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Leemo

The Beatles? Uh, John Lennon was one of the greatest songwriters of all time. Harrison was pretty good, and Paul McCartney is lucky to even be mentioned in the same sentence with those two. John Lennon's solo work is far superior to anything the Beatles ever put out. To suggest that McCartney's songs be called great is an injustice and a travesty.

posted on Jun, 25 2011 @ 11:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Dr Expired

Neil Young is certainly in the conversation, as should be Loudon Wainwright. Cash was great too. Woody Guthrie. Hank Williams [the original]. A lot of people deserve to be in the conversation, and many of them will actually agree with my Townes assessment. Steve Earle (not quite in the conversation, but close) said that he "would stand on Bob Dylan's coffee table in [his] cowboy boots and say that [Townes is the best ever]. And you know Willie Nelson's "Pancho and Lefty" is a Townes Van Zandt cover? See what Willie has to say about Townes. Townes was a songwriter's songwriter, kind of like Kristofferson, never really too popular in the mainstream of fools. And, for the record, you are wrong about Dylan, Dylan is certainly one of the best ever and you should give him another chance. A whole amazing new world awaits you.

posted on Jun, 25 2011 @ 02:57 PM
link   
Neil Young is Canadian.

From Toronto.

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 01:22 PM
link   
reply to post by ANOK

As long as he isn't singing in French he is included in the conversation.

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 02:34 PM
link   

Oh, so it's not American songwriters now it's songwriters who sing in English?

In that case I vote for John Lennon...

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 02:51 PM
link   

Greatest is always debatable - but yeah - Townes (RIP) was a tragic figure in many ways but should always have a place in the "best songwriters" list.

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 05:23 PM
link   
reply to post by ANOK

Hard for me to argue with you; even though this thread is about TVZ, John Lennon is one of my very favorite songwriters and persons of all time. Lennon's contribution to popular music and culture is unsurpassed. It is truly a shame that more people don't know more of the music that he made after the break-up of the Beatles. It is hard for me to think of finer albums than Plastic Ono Band, Imagine, Mind Games, etc...and if you have the wherewithal to skip every other song, the albums he made with Yoko are great too. A couple of my favorite songs:

top topics

<<   2 >>

join