It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Today marks 5 years since my last drink.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 05:44 PM
link   
5 years ago today I entered detox, for alcohol dependency, for the third and final time. After detox I spent 30 days in rehab. After rehab I spent 3 years in AA. Today I am happy, healthy, and glad to have gotten another chance at life.

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 05:46 PM
link   
Kudos my friend ...

I'm happy you're off the poison and healthy ...

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 05:47 PM
link   
reply to post by IndieA

Thats Fantastic!!! Keep up the good work!!!

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 05:49 PM
link   
reply to post by IndieA

Congrats! That is a very important accomplishment, and you have succeeded where many others have failed. Keep up the dedication because it only gets easier.

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 05:51 PM
link   
Good for you! I'm about 20 and a half months sober. My wife of one year and one day are expecting our first child, a daughter, on July 9th. It's a good feeling to know when "enough is enough" and figure out the steps you need to take to fix your situation. Even if it takes a LONG time sometimes, haha. Anyways, it's nice to hear success stories and I wish you continued happiness.

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 05:52 PM
link   
Way to go!

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 05:55 PM
link   
I'm happy for you.

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 05:56 PM
link   
Good for you sweetie, glad your life is working out for you.

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 06:21 PM
link   
Congratulations!

You must be feeling great, and you should be proud.

Wag

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 06:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by IndieA
5 years ago today I entered detox, for alcohol dependency, for the third and final time. After detox I spent 30 days in rehab. After rehab I spent 3 years in AA. Today I am happy, healthy, and glad to have gotten another chance at life.

Congrats. I just went over 4 years sober after 25 years of abusing alcohol. No rehab but some AA definately made me realize what I had become. Of all the stupid things I ever did drunk it was what some would consider a silly thing that finally made me stop. I was playing in a hockey tournament in Germany. After years of playing hockey I was over 40 years old at the time and didn't much care for chasing young guys around and the competitveness of it anymore. I was just playing to travel and party. The night previous to this tournament I partied waaaaay too long.

So next day I came out on the ice for the first game of this three day long tournament still plastered and not knowing which net my team was shooting at and what do i do when i see a puck coming my way? I fire the puck on my own goalie. It was a great shot and my goalie made a great save and the play was dead. My team was hopping mad, I was totally embarrassed, and the other team and refs didn't know what to make of any of it.

I never drank again after that game. And after that week, I stopped playing any kind of competitive hockey forever, went to AA, and haven't even come close to drinking since. Went I returned home after that tournament my wife just gave me the "suuuure you won't" words when I said I was not going to drink anymore. But she happily ate those words after a few months/years.

I really don't know why it took a silly incident like that to make me stop. Some have called it an epiphany. I had done a hell of a lot worse when drunk that's for sure. But it doesn't matter...it's all in the past now. Life is good.

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 06:39 PM
link   
Nice job. You must feel really good. Congratulations!

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 09:08 PM
link   
reply to post by IndieA

Clarity is beautiful...Enjoy

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 09:20 PM
link   
grats to you, OP and to all those recovering.

as the child of an addict and as someone working in the social services field, ive seen first hand how low some have to reach before they themselves decide on sobriety. im glad you have decided to live your life clean. continued strength, courage, and blessings on your families.

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 09:56 PM
link   
reply to post by IndieA

Good for you man, im battling the addiction as we speek. im 24 and an every day drinker of at least a fifth. going to put the bottle down the first of next month.
edit on 16-5-2011 by Deathstarr54054 because: (no reason given)

edit on 16-5-2011 by Deathstarr54054 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 09:58 PM
link   
Congratulations OP!
Don't be afraid to pat yourself on the back. You deserve it. Alcohol addiction is not easy to overcome, but you did it.

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 10:27 PM
link   
Happy Birthday !

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 10:32 PM
link   
Congrats!!

On May 21st I have my 18 months

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 12:43 AM
link   
Congrats! Fine example to others trying to fight dependency and others addiction. Best of future luck, you have a lot ahead of you including good health!
edit on 17-5-2011 by dreamingawake because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 01:51 AM
link   
"But a man cannot be brought to greater slavery than to be given up to his own lusts."

I share your joy in becoming free of such a destructive force.

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 02:45 AM
link   
i will be five years of it in November so i know how hard it

must of been at times well done give your self a massive pat on the back

top topics

<<   2 >>

join