It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

AIDS Cured For The First Time Ever

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+13 more 
posted on May, 16 2011 @ 05:40 PM
link   

SAN FRANCISCO (CBS 5) — A 45-year-old man now living in the Bay Area may be the first person ever cured of the deadly disease AIDS, the result of the discovery of an apparent HIV immunity gene.

Timothy Ray Brown tested positive for HIV back in 1995, but has now entered scientific journals as the first man in world history to have that HIV virus completely eliminated from his body in what doctors call a “functional cure.”

Brown was living in Berlin, Germany back in 2007, dealing with HIV and leukemia, when scientists there gave him a bone marrow stem cell transplant that had astounding results.

“I quit taking my HIV medication the day that I got the transplant and haven’t had to take any since,” said Brown, who has been dubbed “The Berlin Patient” by the medical community.

This is bad news for big Pharma who make huge profits in treating the disease rather than curing it. I realize it's cutting edge treatment, but it's also emprical evidence that radical treatments can work. First cancer, now this. I think TPTB have known all along, but it's much more profitable to treat a disease than to cure it.

Source
edit on 16-5-2011 by v1rtu0s0 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 05:42 PM
link   
Big Pharma can go and suck it up. Pathetic morons.

This is an outstanding step for mankind. We've cleared one of the deadliest diseases to capture many.
I just hope LEDC's...the people that need it most can afford it.

Got to thank the scientists here....stem cell research, despite the ethical arguements has lead to an amazing pivotal moment in all of history!

Amazing find, you

edit on 16-5-2011 by BlackPoison94 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 05:44 PM
link   
The question really is what's it going to cost? Is it going to be a vaccination that's provided? Who knows. I think and hope it'll be something to take for free if you have AIDS. It's great because it's AIDS and not HIV that it cures.

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 05:45 PM
link   
reply to post by v1rtu0s0

Its about damn time too. So many victims that have been claimed due to AIDS can finally bring life back to humanity. Although it is too late for some, future generations will be saved.

Those corporate crooks will have some competition now that this news is spreading like wildfire. Lets see them try and suppress this now.

Heres to the promise of new hope and good health for everyone.

edit on 16-5-2011 by Stop-loss! because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 06:03 PM
link   
I'm surprised this isn't getting more responses. Hopefully people S&F this it is important. Screw big pharma, bunch of greedy fat cats.

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 06:12 PM
link   
Why does this story keep getting repeated like it's new?

about one percent of Caucasians are immune to HIV. Some researchers think the immunity gene goes back to the Great Plague: people who survived the plague passed their immunity down and their heirs have it today.

This has been posted on ATS many times.

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 06:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rockdisjoint

about one percent of Caucasians are immune to HIV. Some researchers think the immunity gene goes back to the Great Plague: people who survived the plague passed their immunity down and their heirs have it today.

The immunity gene has been talked about, but this is about a stem-cell technique uses that gene in the form of a treatment. Re-read it.

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 06:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by v1rtu0s0

Originally posted by Rockdisjoint

The immunity gene has been talked about, but this is about a stem-cell technique uses that gene in the form of a treatment. Re-read it.

This is the same story here: link
& here: link
Or maybe I'm still missing it, idk

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 06:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Rockdisjoint

You're right Rock. Same names. Same story.

Old news, but new news to some. Still, it is still old news technically.

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 07:12 PM
link   

That's beautiful,god bless him! this is what we the people need to do bypass big pharm and all the scientist that are under the gun.We need to move forward,in all areas of scientific medical suppression,lets hope for cancer cures in the near future.

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 07:15 PM
link   
It is not only old news, but it is NOT a cure. Unless someone with HIV wants to give up a working drug routine (which BTW has a much greater than 25% changce of keeping them alive) and endure a very painful, and very risky procedure. However it did prove a concept, and the researchers are pursuing it.

DO you realize that a 'bone marrow transplant' requires killing off the existing bone marrow? Survival rates for this procedure are about 25%. Not a procedure that anyone with the disease is willing to endure unless they have no options (as in this guy with HIV and leukemia). The doctors tried it since there was nothing to lose (killing the leukemia without killing the HIV would have left him with severe doctor-induced AIDS and hardly any chance at recovery). So they focused on blood marrow donors with the missing receptor.

Now, there is ongoing effort to implement this method thru gene therapy, and so far it is showing promise at the end of Phase 1 trials, and is gearing up for Phase 2. The trials involve modifying the patients own T-cells to remove the CXCR5 receptor, then infusing back into the patient, to replicate the immunity that about 1% of the public has. The HIV virus requires two receptors to force itself into the T-cell, CD4 and CXCR5. WIth one receptor missing, it cannot infect. So far, they have proven that the gene-infusion method is producing resistant T-cells and multiplying...however they have not tried it at a level that would allow these patients to get off the drugs - yet.

This immunity (missing CXCR5 receptor) is most common among populations that descended from people that lived thru and survived the smallpox epidemics of Europe after the Middle Ages. It is noted that smallpox uses the same receptor, and so smallpox was effective in 'culling' those without it. Some of those mutations that survived this period still exist today in a small subset of the population.

If the Phase 2 trial are a success, and it makes it to Phase 3, then we have something that may be useable. But this method (bone marrow transplant) is just not an acceptable risk when there are drugs that are working (albiet with terrible side effects, but they work).

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 06:40 AM
link   
I wonder if this guy also used MM. Something to consider.

There is also a small village somewhere in Africa where some of the females have acquired an immunity to the HIV virus. www.guardian.co.uk... / abclocal.go.com.../health&id=6378690
edit on 17-5-2011 by kimish because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 07:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Anttyk47

It would have to be HIV that it cured. Aids is just a syndrome.

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 07:19 AM
link   
reply to post by GogoVicMorrow

Because it's a syndrome doesn't mean it can't be cured. But, in the same breath, curing HIV would probably eradicate %99.9 of the AIDS virus.
edit on 17-5-2011 by kimish because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 07:28 AM
link   

Because it's a syndrome doesn't mean it can't be cured.

Acquired immune deficiency syndrome or acquired immunodeficiency syndrome (AIDS) is a disease of the human immune system caused by the human immunodeficiency virus (HIV).[1][2][3] This condition progressively reduces the effectiveness of the immune system and leaves individuals susceptible to opportunistic infections and tumors.

Source

Aids is basically the term given to a patient who has HIV and is losing, or has lost, effectiveness of their immune system. when someone "dies of aids" they died of a complication from some infection that was able to get that bad because of a lack of immunity response. There is no "aids" to cure. HIV is something that can be cured, AIDS is merely a state of disease caused by an HIV infection.

No one dies from "aids" they died from a cold, pneumonia, the flu, various infections.

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 07:30 AM
link   
reply to post by phishyblankwaters

Ahhh, I see. Many thanks for that tidbit of info
. I had seen it another way.

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 07:36 AM
link   
reply to post by phishyblankwaters

Thank you for clearing that up, I thought I had missed something about AIDS but i see it is not me that missed the point. Wasn't there a younger bloke in the UK that beat AIDS.

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 07:38 AM
link   
Didn't Majic Johnson beat AIDS or HIV? IMO there has been a cure for decades it's just that most people can't afford it.

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 07:54 AM
link   

Unless Snooki or Lindsay discovered the cure, I'm afraid this is going to fall on deaf ears my friend.

Sorry for the epic failure of a cured disease.
Try again with better marketing next time.

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 08:07 AM
link   
It's pretty much just a stem cell transplant from anybody who lacks the receptor. Only 2% of the people on the world (or something like that), would be eligible to take the stem cells from. That would mean testing everybody and making them give you their stem cells, or pay them a lot. That's not something people just want to give up. Maybe they could find a way to engineer stem cells in a lab?

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join