It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

FCC Commish defends ethics after taking Comcast/NBC lobbyist job

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 03:11 PM
link   

FCC Commish defends ethics after taking Comcast/NBC lobbyist job

arstechnica.com

FCC Commissioner Meredith Attwell Baker is defending herself against charges that she has improperly benefited from her support of the massive Comcast/NBC buyout back in January. Attwell Baker last week announced plans to join Comcast as a top DC lobbyist for the company.

In an editorial last week, the New York Times said that "Ms. Baker’s swift shift from regulator to lobbyist for the regulated will only add to Americans’ cynicism about their government.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.nytimes.com
transition.fcc.gov
www.comcast.com

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
After approving NBC buyout, FCC Commish becomes Comcast lobbyist

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 03:11 PM
link   
The government-corporate revolving door just got a little more transparent....

In a stereotypical move, a politically appointed high-roller has moved from government leader to world-class lobbyist for those she used to be responsible for regulating.

She goes to work for Comcast/NBC after she approved the buyout of NBC by Comcast.

Would anyone like to wager whether new telecommunications and internet legislation will be her targets of opportunity?

Please don't make this political. This isn't a party thing... it's particular to the nature of being 'political' and 'corporate.'

arstechnica.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 03:39 PM
link   
I agree, this has nothing to do with political parties.

Slide through some bull# for corporations, get a seat with those same companies as soon as you're done "serving" the people.

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 03:39 PM
link   
I agree, this has nothing to do with political parties.

Slide through some bull# for corporations, get a seat with those same companies as soon as you're done "serving" the people.

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 03:50 PM
link   
At some point, someone in the media will snap and tell it like it is.... man I pray for that day... because the average media consumer just doesn't pay attention unless some talking head says it:

Clip From Network (1976)..... Network

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 04:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

At some point, someone in the media will snap and tell it like it is.... man I pray for that day... because the average media consumer just doesn't pay attention unless some talking head says it:

J. P. Morgan figured that out in 1917. How else do you think we got stuck with the mess we have???

U.S. Congressional Record February 9, 1917: J.P. Morgan interests bought 25 of America's leading newspapers, and inserted their own editors, in order to control the media. www.mindfully.org...

JP Morgan: Our next big media player? (April 13, 2010) JP Morgan controls 54 U.S. daily newspapers,and owns 31 television stations: www.newsandtech.com...

Media Conglomerates, Mergers, Concentration of Ownership: www.globalissues.org...

Who controls the media www.nowfoundation.org...

Interlocking Directorates
Media corporations share members of the board of directors with a variety of other large corporations, including banks, investment companies, oil companies, health care and pharmaceutical companies and technology companies. This list shows board interlocks for the following major media interests:
www.fair.org...

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 06:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

I dont think they care about hiding it anymore. I think they are so certain that Citizens United combined with corporate ownership of the media has made them just absolutely unconcerned in many ways what we think.

I certainly think that since that ruling, the propaganda, the excuses, the official line has gotten almost ridiculous. Its like they really dont even want to pretend its a democracy anymore, and they really dont care if we know it.

Edit to add,

And I also have concerns that some of what is going on is to incite us to "rise up" and destroy what remains of our own democracy and get rid of the inconvenience of the Constitution for them. It would certainly explain a lot of what is going on in the media right now.

edit on 16-5-2011 by Illusionsaregrander because: (no reason given)

new topics

join