It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dublin - Is the Liffey is been drained?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 02:20 PM
link   
I was passing along with a bunch of locals and they seem quite surprised at the level of the river. They joked that it was to check the river for security reasons. If you are not aware the Queen is visiting this week and Obama next week.

I know they've gone OTT here with security, checking manholss and welding them shut etc. But surely it's not even possible to drain out the river for security reasons?

I wouldn't have given it a second glance had the locals not pointed it out. Although its gone down beyond the stone banks and you can see the actual bed of the river that the stone banks are sitting on. I would have just thought it was tidal and this was normal.

I took a bad picture from a phone. ....

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 02:31 PM
link   
Security seems to be very tight around Dublin at the moment and understandably so I suppose but don't think it possible to drain the Liffey. I know there are a couple of dams outside Dublin that maybe were closed for some reason?
Been quite a while since I've been in Dublin so not really familiar with the river levels to tell you the truth.
With all the rain we've been having over the past few days it does seem odd that the levels would be that low.

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 02:47 PM
link   
Can anyone in Dublin or anyone who lives up or down river get pictures?
Sounds interesting!

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 02:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Glz00

edit on 16-5-2011 by region331 because: ADDED HORIZONTAL SCROLL BAR TO PICTURE

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 03:03 PM
link   
It chopped the picture in half, so you can't see the right hand side when its embedded in the thread. Do I have to resize it?

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 03:03 PM
link   
reply to post by region331

Wow i visit Dublin quite a bit (gotta love Ryanair)
Never looked like that before.

Cant find any pictures without it looking pretty full.

"Around 60% of the Liffey's flow is abstracted for drinking water, and to supply industry." - Wiki

They can't leave it low for long! Maybe it is to stop Bombs or Remote mines??? Would they go that far for her?

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 03:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Glz00

Maybe not for her, but could be a dry run(pardon the pun) for the 'bama next week??

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 04:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Glz00

I added a horizontal scrollbar to the picture above. now you can see the rocks of the riverbed on the RHS of the picture, through the bridge
edit on 16-5-2011 by region331 because: spelling

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 05:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by region331
I was passing along with a bunch of locals and they seem quite surprised at the level of the river. They joked that it was to check the river for security reasons. If you are not aware the Queen is visiting this week and Obama next week.

I know they've gone OTT here with security, checking manholss and welding them shut etc. But surely it's not even possible to drain out the river for security reasons?

I wouldn't have given it a second glance had the locals not pointed it out. Although its gone down beyond the stone banks and you can see the actual bed of the river that the stone banks are sitting on. I would have just thought it was tidal and this was normal.

I took a bad picture from a phone. ....

Very Doubtfull, I know there are 3 dams on the liffey. but i doubt it.

new topics

top topics

join