It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Question for Mod's Owners relating to namesake!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 12:43 PM
link   
Flag/Star/Reply if you agree that I deserve a name change!!

In light of the recent tampering with some members feelings perpetrated by our esteemed top poster, I wanted to draw attention to the type of person we're talking about and why I no longer wish to involve myself in their threads which leads to a question for the Site Owners.... if it is possible and feasible would you allow me to change my name.

It's not a major issue, and I'm sure in dealing with that thread you have enough on your respective plates, however the problem I have is that this poster, we all know who I'm referring to, has a very similar name and members have previously confused me with him - easy to do when the entire board and his dog shorten his handle to mine.

What happened on 'that' thread I've seen before - perhaps it will help to look back in the decision making process on this. Take a look at this thread from 2009 in which said poster and myself 'go at it' for a few pages and 'said poster' admits to be attempting to evoke reactions from other users for the sake of proving he can manipulate posters emotionally. Sound familiar? Hell I may even get in trouble for highlighting this but it's eerily similar to what we saw this weekend and should be flagged, if nothing more to see that this has been a trend with him. .
www.abovetopsecret.com...

I'm not saying that I think he should be banned, I'm happy to ignore him, other posters might not be able to however... I think he probably could use help. But I'd like to not have to worry about being associated with his postings in future, as has happened before. If possible. It would mean changing my avatar but I can live with that
. So please, as a one off with good reason, allow a member the room to crowbar their opinions firmly away from those of the aforementioned.

I look forward to your replies.

The reason I've posted in the boards and not directly to the owners (feel free to delete and U2U if this is an issue) is that I believe in transparency - I'll never hide from my opinions or views by changing name. I would however like to ensure my handle isn't confused by those shortening others names. Thanks.

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 12:48 PM
link   
He definitely went off topic and hijacked your thread with the anti-religion mumbo jumbo. Just make a new account with a new name and leave your old one behind. Do people really care that much about post history and flag count stuff?

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 12:57 PM
link   
Unfortunately due to the nature and size of our database it is impossible to change a member's username.

That applies to everyone including senior staff.

I would have changed mine as well as my username refers to a brand of cigarettes and I quit smoking in 2005!

Sorry...

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 01:00 PM
link   
Gotta love it when people jump off the bandwagons instead of clamoring to get aboard.
Thumbs up to ya dude,

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 01:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Pr0t0

Well......seems to me that you have stated your case RE: the name *similarity* and can refer back to this OP as needed, if ever "questioned" in future.

I think, though, you might find that most have short memories....

eta@ 'redoubt'......vvvvvvvvvvv That, me TOO! LOL....capital 'W'....if only....oh, well. Upper/lower cases don't always matter.

Read some e.e. cummings....

edit on Mon 16 May 2011 by weedwhacker because: it is highly unlikely....

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 01:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Pr0t0

Flag/Star/Reply if you agree that I deserve a name change!!

I would like so very really awful badly to change my name by simply turning the first letter into an uppercase 'R'...

kind of like wishing in one hand and letting a birdy poop in the other to see which fills faster, lol.
edit on 16-5-2011 by redoubt because: typos in paradise

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 01:29 PM
link   
Ah well. I had assumed this was probably the case, bit of a shame but hey I chose the name, not like I can blame my parents for this one!

I may actually create a new account. I'll have to read the T & C's about multiple accounts first.

I've actually been gathering a lot of really interesting material that I wanted to post but I think I'll hold fire until I make my mind up and have read t's and c's. I know it seems petty but the association is obvious, and you'd be surprised how many posters think I am he. And, I've seen before, vice-versa.

I don't want to drop the account, I'm sure several members have done this but I think you need to consider credibility and transparency. I'll never hide behind what I've written, for fear of anything - least of all the 3-letter acronym crowd.

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 01:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Pr0t0

If you choose to make a new account that's fine. Please just let me know what it is and this account will be disabled.

The multiple account problem is really an issue with those who use both at the same time, even moreso with those who use both in the same threads and "talk to themselves" (believe it or not this has happened).

In this case you have been nothing but up front about it, and this would not be a problem at all. Just let me know via PM.

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 01:46 PM
link   
I would just like to chime in and say that I dont think your name is that much of a problem for many of us. There are several people with similar names, and they do okay. Maybe think about it for a while and see how you feel after you cool off. (It sounds like something must have recently triggered this)

Its not all in a name, people have their own unique posting style too, and I honestly rarely pay attention to the names, but I do get used to a certain persons "voice" or how they come across. And also tend to memorize a persons avatar more so than their name.

So, just something to think about. Your name may not really be as big a hindrance as you think right now.

Cheers.

edit on 16-5-2011 by Illusionsaregrander because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 01:50 PM
link   
Since the other poster is now banned, it shouldn't be as big of a deal anymore.

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 02:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Pr0t0

Scuse me Mr Pr0t0 Sir, but please do not assume that people are going to automaticaly link you to the Protoplasmic Traveler, or any of his attitudes. I can assure you that any person capable of getting the two of you mixed up, is not reading your posts correctly, and further to that, hasnt the wit to survive this place for all that long.

You should only respect the opinions of those who have the intellect to tell you apart from your name sake. I know there are members who have similar names to mine, but I rely on other people to be attentive to detail, and figure out for themselves who is who, and what is what.

I do not believe that it would be a good idea for you to change your name. I think that if you feel slighted by the similarity of your name, and that of the Traveler, that you should stand your ground, and keep the name. Please do not feel that you must change things to distance yourself. Thats just letting the negativity win. Its never psychologicaly healthy to do that.

Just a suggestion.
TB

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 04:09 PM
link   
why be so cryptic? If everyone knows what happened, that is?

And what happened to Protoplasmic Traveller? Can someone clue me in? I really enjoyed most of his insights. Never seen him act in a "bad" way, beyond what might just be intermittent (as we are all prone to).

Banning....that really sucks? It is like you see a death penalty given to someone you know, and have no idea why. "Online community" means that we may occasionally care about each other.

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 04:21 PM
link   
reply to post by bigfatfurrytexan

He got banned for fabricating a thread which he initially claimed was true.

Subsequently within that thread he admitted it was a lie.

He claimed to have had his house broken into with an elaborate trail left for him.

What motivated him to concoct such a story?? who knows.

I suspect he may return with a new name.

A new game, who is he now ??

Cosmic...

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 04:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Cosmic4life

Ahh..i read that thread. Didn't reply because it seemed a little too strange and unworthy of my attention as it is not in line with my interests (and it did seem made up, what with a trail of dust from door damage that would not have made enough dust to leave a trail).

Wonder if that is why Doc Velocity was banned? I remember he was proven to be lying, and that it was indicated that he was actually a gov agent.

I guess they deleted that thread?

And the deeper implications are, what was he doing here? He wrote brilliant stuff...why is he making crap up now? I guess more info would help.

Thanks for the answer. Strangely, were i to have made a wild guess, that would have been my guess.

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 04:36 PM
link   

Maybe someone just finally added enough zeros.

reply to post by ProtoplasmicTraveler

Originally posted by ProtoplasmicTraveler

I think the organizational forces behind these agendas really do in essence not only try to convince people, but actually do put a bit of effort into converting or turning popular posters and or people with a real gift of gab and an ability to write.

Many of us who are in the 'opposition' could likely have good paying jobs working for the 'dark side of the force' and they will alternate back and forth between seduction and attack in some cases.

Amazingly enough I can be bought it's just they always object to this many 000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 00000000000000.00 zeros.

But hey you will never get it if you don't ask for it.

Payable in Gold guys, no cash, no checks!

Oh and no gold certificates or gold plated bars, just dust!

edit on 16-5-2011 by Illusionsaregrander because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 04:45 PM
link   
EDIT:now i know why his was banned...it don't matter anymore..

edit on 16-5-2011 by TheMaverick because: (no reason given)

it would of been nice,if the thread in question,was still up,so some of us,could read through it,or at least see,were he admitted making it up.
edit on 16-5-2011 by TheMaverick because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 05:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cosmic4life

He got banned for fabricating a thread which he initially claimed was true.

Subsequently within that thread he admitted it was a lie.

No, he never admitted that. He was referring to some off-hand story about something he did when he was 14, which had absolutely nothing to do with the thread or his house being broken into.

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 05:05 PM
link   

edit on 16-5-2011 by LadySkadi because: nvm

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 05:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Epiphron

I posted in that thread three times, i read it from first to last post.

He claimed a member (un-named) set him up to leave his house so that it could be broken into.

He later stated to another poster that this was a fabrication.

Sadly as the thread has now been removed and the member banned we've reached the end of the line.

Do you think ATS bans top 50 members for fun ?

Cosmic...

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 05:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by hotbakedtater
Since the other poster is now banned, it shouldn't be as big of a deal anymore.

If single posts in BB&Q could be flagged that deserves a few

I agree, the other poster is banned so no new threads or posts will appear in their name, and your username is very different, if the other dude was called Pr0to or Prot0 or Pr0t00 etc I could understand but Pr0t0 is really different to Protoplasmic Traveller

I agree with your OP, you do deserve a name change if it's easy, and I have seen it done on other foums but ATS is one heck of a forum and very complex, I can imagine it would affect all kinds of things so I would really just stick with it as it's your history

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join