It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Vatican's new sex-abuse guidelines don't require reporting

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 12:30 PM
link   
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/02b84bd98b9b.jpg[/atsimg]
Just on a side-note to this subject - man does this guy look 'un-saintly' to anybody else?
It might just be me but Pope John Paul his predecessor 'looked' like a saint, this man kinda just creeps me out!

New Vatican guidelines aimed at fighting child abuse by priests tell Catholic bishops they should cooperate with police, but do not order them to report allegations to the authorities.
"Sexual abuse of minors is not just a canonical delict but also a crime prosecuted by civil law," says the letter to bishops around the world, using the Vatican term for a violation of church law.

"Bishops ignore and conceal child sex crimes because they can," said David Clohessy of the Survivors Network of Those Abused by Priests (SNAP). "So any 'reform' that doesn't diminish bishops' power and discretion is virtually meaningless."
And the new Vatican statement will not require bishops to report suspected abusers to the police, he anticipated.
"They aren't binding or mandatory, just suggestions," he said. "Such voluntary 'guidelines' have been widely ignored for years in the past. Top church staff have known of clergy sex crimes and cover ups for decades, if not centuries."

This seems to still be an empty attempt in dealing with these issues. I get so aggravated on this subject due to the nature of the violations and the methods used for concealment.
When is the world going to wake up to these along with the many more atrocities that haven't been declared yet?
It makes me sad thinking about the churches going to starving populations and offering food to these people served on a bible. Are you hungry? You want to eat? Well you need to read this book and adhere to it's teachings.

CNN Link to full story

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 12:40 PM
link   
reply to post by AnteBellum

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/86d4c993bfda.jpg[/atsimg]

What creeps you out about him ? He looks like a lovable old grandfather !

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 12:56 PM
link   
His eyes. Every time I've seen a picture of him, he has those eyes. For some reason, something in his eyes just looks evil to me, and I don't think that about hardly anyone.

New Vatican guidelines aimed at fighting child abuse by priests tell Catholic bishops they should cooperate with police, but do not order them to report allegations to the authorities.

It's still covering up abuses, if they're still not required to report them.
Insane.

edit on 16-5-2011 by snowspirit because: (no reason given)

new topics

join