It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Speed of light might not be a constant (scientific evidence)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 2 2004 @ 05:46 PM
link   
An article in the New Scientist claims that the speed of light may have changed recently. If it has changed then one of the base constants of physics isn't really a constant.

The speed of light, one of the most sacrosanct of the universal physical constants, may have been lower as recently as two billion years ago - and not in some far corner of the universe, but right here on Earth.

The original article

[edit on 2/8/04 by gravitron]

posted on Aug, 2 2004 @ 06:05 PM
link   
I believe this has been posted before by a couple of people(and me) but I can't seem to find the threads

posted on Aug, 2 2004 @ 06:15 PM
link   
I don't think we're going to let go of relativity that easily. It will take alot of independent confirmation before that's the case. Anyway, good post.

posted on Aug, 2 2004 @ 06:17 PM
link   
Well I hate the ATS search. I love ATS but I can never find anything on the search. Well it might have something to do with the fact that light slows down when it passes through matter. If light from a certain part of the universe passed through a nebula that might explain what scientists are seeing.

posted on Aug, 2 2004 @ 06:20 PM
link   
Actually Rev_Godslapper I'm pretty sure that they have confirmed it, because as I said above this has been posted many times before.

Found it...
www.abovetopsecret.com...
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Aug, 2 2004 @ 06:25 PM
link   
Sorry for reposting an already "old" problem. Before posting it I tried searching the ATS to see if a similar topic had been posted, but I didn't find any (word combination "speed of light" is being used far too much). Now I found one more of these threads:
Thread63804

[edit on 2/8/04 by gravitron]

posted on Aug, 2 2004 @ 07:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by cyberdude78
Well I hate the ATS search. I love ATS but I can never find anything on the search. Well it might have something to do with the fact that light slows down when it passes through matter. If light from a certain part of the universe passed through a nebula that might explain what scientists are seeing.

I HATE ATS search too!!!!! I can find your mother's maiden name on Google before you're finished saying it, yet I can't find my own posts on ATS search. A classic case of over engineering. Reminds me of the Rolls Royce brake system. They engineered them out of stopping.

posted on Aug, 2 2004 @ 07:50 PM
link   
I agree I cant find ANYTHING with the new search feature, I cant even find my OWN posts

I wish we would go back to the old one

posted on Aug, 3 2004 @ 01:48 AM
link   
speed of light was different some stage in the universe.
Was measured from a distant quasar or somthing.
Btw go to MYATS and u can find ur posts.

posted on Aug, 3 2004 @ 02:05 AM
link   
The speed of light hasn't changed, only the way we measure it. If it had any properties that would change on it's own nature, we surely would have noticed by now. This is not saying that we have found all possible properties, as the art of optics is still quite young as a science. The Einstein-Bose Condensate, for instance, can actually freeze light until it slows down to a crawl, this was theory for some time, until 1995 when it was observed in an experiment.

www.colorado.edu...

new topics

top topics

join