It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Transformers blowing up left and right - we talked about this possibility last year

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 12:17 PM
link   
Hi, all,

I was up late last night watching TV, when a news flash broke in and showed pictures of a Las Vegas transformer that blew up last night and sent flames up into the air for hours...

And then it hit me, "Gosh, there sure are a lot of transformers blowing up lately." Think about the transformer that blew up in Texas this past week....and there have been lots more this spring, too!

Then, I went to another conspiracy website this morning, and someone had posted about 20 transformers that had blown up recently.

And that got me thinking:

Last year, we were all talking about those forecasts by scientists who said that the sun's activity in 2011-2012 could likely be just as strong or stronger than the sun-storms back from the 1800's, which were strong enough to melt all the telegraph wires. Some scientists were warning that the sun's activity could possibly have the potential to wipe out the earth's entire electrical grid, and send us back into the technology equivalent of the 1800's.

Anyway, all the skeptics on here are always saying that none of the "doom predictions" on ATS ever come true, but this one seems to possibly be coming true!
edit on 16-5-2011 by nikiano because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 12:19 PM
link   
Will be keeping my ears pinned on this subject. Nothin like this happening over here in the UK yet that Im aware of.
SnF

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 12:26 PM
link   
Hmmm, a transformer blew up last weekend behind my house, and two in another part of my town. I live in Iowa (central United States). Interesting as I thought it was strange that it just exploded all of a sudden, no storms or anything.
edit on 16-5-2011 by Loki078 because: Informed that two other transformers also exploded in my town.

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 12:27 PM
link   
Problem: 20 transformers blowing up in the United States hardly constitutes, in my opinion, the statement that they are blowing up "all over the place".

Further, the conversation generally is about a solar flare, or CME, striking the Earth and rendering our electrical grid useless or severely damaged causing large areas to live without power. A CME isn't going to strike and only cause one transformer in Las Vegas to explode.

A transformer blowing up in Texas, and another in Las Vegas, does not mean much except that our infrastructure is severely lacking and our electrical needs are surpassing the electric companies current output capacities.

Just my opinion of course.

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 12:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by nikiano
Last year, we were all talking about those forecasts by scientists who said that the sun's activity in 2011-2012 could likely be just as strong or stronger than the sun-storms back from the 1800's,

The sun activity hasnt yet reached that level.
The following webpage has a number of graphs where you can follow the 11 year cycle, and you'll see that there is another year or so to go before the "dangerous" levels people are warning of will be reached.

SIDC

So whats with the transformer blowups? Poor maintenance caused by lack of money?

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 12:30 PM
link   
reply to post by nikiano

But there hasnt been any unsual strong activity or earth directed flares as of recently.
I personally think this is nothing unusual.. You will have blackouts and transformation blowing somewhere in the world at any time and day.

Also this solar cycle is expected to be weakest in DECADES even during the maximum which we are now moving into.

Of course there could still be solar storms that could turn out bad, but the chances of this happening is smaller than during previous solar maximums.

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 12:33 PM
link   
reply to post by juleol

I wouldn't say there wasn't any unusual activity. After all, a comet did slam into the sun preceding a CME, though they say that barely missed us.

Still, it's unusual. Especially since it's about to happen again in such a short time.

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 12:35 PM
link   
With all the hype i would speculate largely on HARRP.

My personal opinion of course.

Late

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 12:35 PM
link   
Theres not a whole lot to a transformer. Its basically just a bunch of wires and some sort of cooling agent (usually grease). Being that they're so simple, they usually wont spend a whole lot of time maintaining them. Its cheaper to allow it to fail, and then replace it. One wire with compromised insulating material would likely lead to an imminent issue. The cooling agent also occasionally fails.

I'm willing to bet that it's more about maintenance than Sun related. The US has allowed it's infrastructure to completely go downhill over the years.

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 12:39 PM
link   

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 12:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by croweboy
Theres not a whole lot to a transformer. Its basically just a bunch of wires and some sort of cooling agent (usually grease). Being that they're so simple, they usually wont spend a whole lot of time maintaining them. Its cheaper to allow it to fail, and then replace it. One wire with compromised insulating material would likely lead to an imminent issue. The cooling agent also occasionally fails.

I'm willing to bet that it's more about maintenance than Sun related. The US has allowed it's infrastructure to completely go downhill over the years.

well said, america has gone completely downhill since the 50's. Roads, hiways, public buildings

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 12:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Neopan100

Thanks for the link!!

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 01:03 PM
link   
ha funny enough we keep getting power surges here latly

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 01:05 PM
link   
reply to post by alfa1

So whats with the transformer blowups? Poor maintenance caused by lack of money?

Some kind of power surge would be my guess. Isn't Al Gore part owner/CEO of a company that manufactures parts designed to upgrade our grid and make it more secure???

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 02:39 PM
link   
Well if it does come true none of us will ever know it because without electricity we will have no TV, internet, cell phone or any other type of communication. Without electricity we would have to revert to face to face conversations and contact with other humans..ewww

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 02:43 PM
link   
Question
if the events of transformers blowing and being reported on the news are the work of sun-spots/activity, why aren't entire acres-worth of transformers blowing up every single day?

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 03:01 PM
link   
reply to post by TXRabbit

You're right on the money there. There are thousands of transformers per square (large city) city mile. If one was taken out via the sun, by rights all of them in the vicinity should also suffer the same fate (over voltage, underpowered, whatnot). Inductance of an EMP pulse onto power lines, is what the OP is hinting at, however it would not be limited to only one. When one goes out, it is typically maintenance related, or lack thereof.

As an out of work Journeyman Electrician, I wouldn't mind a US wide catastrophe as OP suggests. It might get me back to work sooner. IF one were to happen, everyone in the entire region (probably US) would definitely know about it. Power distribution would be severely affected. Cellphones, computers and cars likely wouldn't work either.

Worrying about a few isolated incidents with a product with acceptable losses built into its use is just worrying over nothing.

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 03:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lionhearte
reply to post by juleol

I wouldn't say there wasn't any unusual activity. After all, a comet did slam into the sun preceding a CME, though they say that barely missed us.

Still, it's unusual. Especially since it's about to happen again in such a short time.

So, a comet striking the sun = transformers blowing up in the US? Seriously?

Unless there are entire states without electricity due to the sudden explosion of numerous transformers, I would say this thread is about 6 months too early.

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 07:48 PM
link   
While sun activity may be a factor in this,I should remind you that across America,public works budgets are more than likely strained from lack of sufficient tax revenues. This means that power grid maintenance is probably being postponed or neglected. You can't replace/repair transformers or fix faulty lines if you're short-handed and underfunded.

Is this a world-wide problem or something that's only happening mostly in the US? If it appears to be really just a US problem then this means the country is broke. I seem to remember reading somewhere that the US currently needs trillions of dollars just to FIX (not upgrade) its infrastructure.

Not everything's what it seems. I don't think the sun has much to do with this problem.

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 08:02 PM
link   
was just looking at some transformer videos

www.dailymotion.com...

another

www.youtube.com...

and many more ,,

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join