It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cathay Pacific Airbus 330 makes emergency landing in Singapore

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 11:26 AM
link   

Cathay Pacific Airbus 330 makes emergency landing in Singapore

www.msnbc.msn.com

Terrified passengers aboard a blazing jetliner prayed together before the plane made an emergency landing on Monday.An engine on a Cathay Pacific Airbus A330-300 caught fire in midair.

Cathay Pacific said the jet, bound for Jakarta with 136 passengers on board, landed back in Singapore "without incident" just before 2 a.m. It said the crew shut down the engine after receiving a "stall warning.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 11:26 AM
link   
Not seeing much on this about. It is said that passengers heard several loud bangs and smelled smoke. The plane also began shaking violently and lost power to the cabin. It sounds as if this is being put down as engine problems. I am reading that firefighters had to douse the engine after the plane had landed.

www.msnbc.msn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 11:28 AM
link   
A friend of mine was flight attendant on that flight; they are all safe and sound.

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 11:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Mdv2

Wow small world, huh?

Glad everyone is ok but my mind is on the cause of this.

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 11:49 AM
link   
Well if its the same series of rolls Royce engines as the a380 it might have been the a similar problem.
i know the a380 used trent 900 and the a330 was Rolls-Royce Trent 700 but it might be a similar design flaw across all the trent's..
from the second link
Versions of the Trent are in service on the Airbus A330, A340, A380 and Boeing 777

en.wikipedia.org...
en.wikipedia.org...
edit on 16-5-2011 by sprocket2cog because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 01:53 PM
link   
Yikes.... seems like we keep hearing these problems with some of the new Air Bus planes...

My Dad who was a pilot said he would be nervous about flying some of the new planes because almost all the parts are Electronic as opposed to Mechanical.

Seems that having more mechanical parts would be a more reliable than an entire electric system which may or may not bug out at 30+ thousand feet in the air.

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 02:14 PM
link   
reply to post by dplum517

Yes but the engine problem is a mechanical problem, from what i understand of the a380 incident, it was the turbine blades slipping on the main shaft and coming into contact with the housing causing the blades to rip apart, not sure if it as a lack of oil or a faulty design but it caused the blades to fly off and rupture the wing etc.
but i agree about the electronics in control part.. thats what we get for building planes so big we cant manually control the plane anymore and need electronic servos to handle the heavy loads.

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 02:29 PM
link   
Could have been a compressor stall, could have been a blade off, could have been a shroud detachment. could have been a number of things.

In flight engine shut downs are not as uncommon as people think. to be honest I fail to see just how this incident warrants a thread.

maybe I should start a thread on the known Radio Altimeter problem in the 737 New Gen, that was ignored by Boeing.

Or the fuselage cracking directives issued to older Boeing aircraft.

edit on 16/5/2011 by JakiusFogg because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join