It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The quiet little genocide on our back door

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+125 more 
posted on May, 16 2011 @ 10:39 AM
link   
So this was once my home until we all got so sick we either moved or died. This has been covered up very efficiently by the MSM in Oregon as well as the regulatory agencies. Without the third party determination by such a reputable source this would still be a dirty secret.
Since they brought back left over agent orange from Viet Nam and began spraying the hills it has not stopped it has increased.
They got agent orange banned in the 70's but the corps responded with dozens of other chemicals to take it's place and they still use half the mix. As witnessed by the elevated 2,4-D in urine tests.
My wife was office manager of the country doctor she saw the waves of illness during spray time, we fought it till it nearly killed us all

www.forestcouncil.org...

Between the radiation and the poison the PNW is fairly screwed.
More links to news on the issue beginning with our tale as chemical refugees

www.eugeneweekly.com...

My neighbor who continues the fight after we had to leave

www.registerguard.com...

Look this over if you will. And let me add as a former resident. You can not imagine the volume of chemicals used. Literally tankers of concentrated herbicides, fungicides and rodenticides are used all around the homes and water shed of the inhabitants of the area.
seed

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 10:50 AM
link   
S&F, Seed. This is the Almighty Dollar doing what it does best. I am so sorry that you had to leave your beautiful home just to stay alive. I hope those in the PNW keep fighting this.

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 11:24 AM
link   
I believe the buisness phrase for allowing this is Externality.

wikipedia / externality

In figuring out how to make a profit many things are intentionally not considered.
Like disposal of packaging, destruction while extracting resources, and poisoning environments.

But what I'm not getting from these linked articles is _why_ the pesticides and herbicides are
being used. How does that help logging? Or anything else for that matter. It's hard to
look for a cost saving solution that the companies would jump on if I don't understand
what problem/issue it is they are trying to solve. Can you fill me in?

David Grouchy

+4 more 
posted on May, 16 2011 @ 12:17 PM
link   
reply to post by davidgrouchy

All I can say is timber and big chemistry have been in bed since they conspired to make hemp illegal.Ostensibly the reasoning is: herbicides are timed to kill broadleafs like maple and alder which compete for sun space against and emerge vulnerable with new growth before the Douglas fir monocrop, pesticides to kill the ensuing insect imbalance due to lack of broadleaf food sources again to protect the monocrop and finally rodenticides (read mammal killers) claimed to keep displaced forest rats from gnawing young trees but also to "control" the number of larger mammals which also can use the monocrop as food like deer, porcupine, beavers, boomers all which have a preferred limit per "unit" of land.
In my own fight to end this I developed and used on private land a system based upon Paul Staments work with fungi. I proved we could go into a clear cut and inocculate the broadleaf stumpage from which the quickest regrowth occured with edible but destructive fungi like oyster mushroom and #ake to not only provide jobs at a lower cost than chemical application, it would develop an income with as little as six months depending on time of inocculation via picking permits for the timberland. This and less destruction of habitat would equal the success of chemical application and provide a healthier ecology and faster growth via healthy soils. We were flat told there was no interest.
It is known in the upper levels of big timber we are called "indwellers" as where once the large plots were family owned the family plots have now become checkerboard "barriers" to wholesale rape of the coastal rain forest by the big timber companies.
The tankers come in teams, semis with dual tanks, they say Monsanto. They come several times a year. we all get sick and some die afterword. 8 kids in a school of 120 had cancer when we left.My wife got an e-mail this AM from a friend still in the area...brain tumor, daily siezures.She ran the clinic for 4 yrs she knows everyone and this is no chicken little thing it is wholesale poisning of three generations of people of the area. it is the decimation of whole communities that just disappear like Greenleaf. The place I moved that was disappeared and renamed Deadwood.Like Tide that is now Mapleton.Like Triangle lake which is now Blachly as the people die, get sick and move,get too sick to give a damn the string of once viable communities on the corridor is now gone and son these will be lumped into the endpoint communities until the corridor is devoid of human community.No more checkerbord of indwellers to hamper corporate greed. Sorry for the rant but vindication is not always sweet. It can bring rage and sadness
seed

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 12:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by mustard seed
In my own fight to end this I developed and used on private land a system based upon Paul Staments work with fungi. I proved we could go into a clear cut and inocculate the broadleaf stumpage from which the quickest regrowth occured with edible but destructive fungi like oyster mushroom and #ake to not only provide jobs at a lower cost than chemical application, it would develop an income with as little as six months depending on time of inocculation via picking permits for the timberland. This and less destruction of habitat would equal the success of chemical application and provide a healthier ecology and faster growth via healthy soils. We were flat told there was no interest.

Make them say no again, and again, and again.

What you describe here sounds genius to me.
If I had to guess, the main obstacle would be capacity.
If they can't order hundreds of acres covered with a pen stroke,
then it will seem like too much trouble and unable to meet their needs.
That and the competitors selling the chemicals are going to use fear, uncertianty, and doubt (fud)
to keep their contracts. Saying things like, "its unproven", "if you let them in you can't trust them,"
and "what are the ecological effects of these fungi"

But that doesn't mean it's not a winning strategy, or
that all these things can't be over come.
Even picking up a single acre to help them meet their target coverage will get the foot in the door.

The key is to present oneself, and behave like a partner with a money saving solution.
When convincing an university academic to do a study on the effects, maybe then is the time
to appeal to one's sense of health and environment. But not with the companies themselves.

Remember the timber industry is still paranoid that "The Monkey Wrench Gang" is out there spiking trees.

David Grouchy
edit on 16-5-2011 by davidgrouchy because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 12:47 PM
link   
reply to post by davidgrouchy

More like what happens and has happened is , mysterious fire (our house burned to the ground), arson,an untimely death( the fire inspector of the arson died onsite of "unclear" reasons which caused a heart attack), car bombing and targeted spraying of vocal locals with chemicals.What needs to happen is all the victims and all the peices need to be brought together by a monied public organization who can bring media protection to all who have something ro bear on the issue. That means basically we are screwed.
seed

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 01:11 PM
link   
This is an insane position to be in.

I'm reminded of what the black man who invented the three-phase traffic light had to do.
He hired a white guy to act like the inventor, and just assisted him as they went
from state to state making their pitch. If it's gotten this bad someone with
a New England/East Coast accent is going to have to make the pitch.

On a more sypathetic note, it sounds like a goddamn warzone.

David Grouchy

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 01:14 PM
link   
This sort of thing makes me so angry.
The way they're working that land it's gonna be so poisoned, so depleted, that eventually it will end up as an empty sterile desert. I'm not atall surprised to see Monsanto involved.
Just bumping the thread, I think more folks should read this.

peace
J

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 01:27 PM
link   
This is pretty disgusting!

Why is no politician/journalist in America doing anything? What have the media said to you when you have gone to them? Same question for politicians.

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 01:38 PM
link   
reply to post by AmatuerSkyWatcher

Local politicians avoid it and say it is the EPA, State says there is no problem(until now) and Peter Defazio our senator says it is not his job.
Please understand I and my family went to the brink of death fighting this. I began with my science background, I pleaded with any agency or person in a position to do anything. I got one other response beyond the article posted. I was contacted for an interview of myself and locals by a woman reporter. Scheduled for the next week I put up 4-5 flyers at the markets for folks to come speak. Got a phone call from the reporter very freaked out and threatening to sue me for using her name on the flyer? Yeah she did not get "approached about the subject"
seed

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 03:09 PM
link   
reply to post by mustard seed

I was unable to read through all the links, as my pulse began to race. This disturbs me so very much.

I'd like to know why it isn't your congressmanms job to protect the citizens in his area? That might be an angle you might explore.

I know that journalists do not want to have their name associated with a cause or anything that breaks the image of their neutrality. Putting their name on a flyer can be seen as being involved somehow. Their bosses would not like that.

Here are a couple of links you may not have:
CANADA: Chair Named To Lead Independent Panel On Herbicide
Canadian inquiry into Agent Orange

Wishing you all the best.

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 06:11 PM
link   
Why is there so much silence about this thread? This is real conspiracy and corruption, yet people are ignoring it?

I really don't understand this forum some times.

This is the meat people, shouldn't we all be trying to help in some way here? Surely somebody has some media connections to present this to?

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 06:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by AmatuerSkyWatcher
Why is there so much silence about this thread? This is real conspiracy and corruption, yet people are ignoring it?

I really don't understand this forum some times.

This is the meat people, shouldn't we all be trying to help in some way here? Surely somebody has some media connections to present this to?

I agree, this issue needs so much more attention than OBL or any of the 100 other blathering idiot things that come up on a daily basis. Seriously.

You can color me shocked (not) to see the name Monsanto associated with this activity. I SWEAR that company, along with KBR, are like The Umbrella Corporation.

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 07:23 PM
link   
Perhaps you are getting a glimpse in cyberspace how our cries have fallen on deaf ears since just after Viet Nam when it all began with leftover agent orange. We did get them to stop using half the mix but they replaced the 2,4,5-T with dozens of other chems like atrazine and still use 2,4-D as was found in the urine. You ask why? and all I can say is why is the gulf now "over"? why is there no danger from Fukushima? For the same reasons the major hospitals which are required to report pesticide poisoning and exposure do not document it EVEN WHEN TOLD DIRECTLY YOU ARE THERE FOR THAT REASON!
People have died trying to get this story out and it is all ignored, until now. T.Lake is the first to get the evidence from a third party. But this is not the first attempt. the first was a collection of breast milk from young moms in the area to determine why there was so high miscarriage and birth defects in the area. The night before the samples were to be delivered the house mysteriously burned to the ground with the family. the fire inspector who investigated dropped dead onsite and the case was closed without further examination. the person who coordinated the sampling with the lab had the car blown to bits.
When I was the loud guy My home burned to the ground, mysteriously while being remodled, empty and without power it managed to burn to the ground while I was working far up the canyon. I have found pieces of rotten meat in my water filters which were under an overhanging shed roof, past a line filter for sand! We have had choppers spray us from less than 100ft above our home as my kids cried in terror.
My neighbor in the news has had all this and more since he took up the fight. We both have gone from robust woodsmen to old men over this and have long gone horse from crying out for help. It is a small miracle this has happened but I fear now even more for those of us who's bodies literally are evidence of the Timber corps crimes
seed

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 07:34 PM
link   
As stated this is a consequence of big business and profit.

There would be High Costs involved in storing this toxic waste.

Much cheaper if you can quietly get rid of it (and turn expense, into profit)

Agent Orange - Mix it in with other crap and spray the problem away.
Depleted Uranium - Sell it to the military and they drop it over some poor country and deform their kids.
Flouride - Hazardous waste product from Aluminium smelting. Sell it for inclusion in toothpaste and drinking water.

Nothing like a bit of 'Value Add' to boost the profit margin.
That's why 'Greed' is one of the Big Seven - How many more can they tick off the list?

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 08:02 PM
link   

"There is a somewhat positive correlation between the requests of the wealthy and policy.
The correlation between middle class desires and policy doesn't exist.
For poor people there is a negative correlation."

-Noam Chomsky

As a non wealthy person the only way to embarrass a politician is to praise them. In the upsidedown world of politics if one complains the reaction by the political class is "hey look they're actually voting now."
But praising them, on the other hand, for bringing such a valuable industry to the reigon, creating so many jobs, and taking such good care of the environment; will make them vulnerable to their peers in the highly competative funding wars. "Your district has already had enough financial stimulus. Senator-x needs to do something for his people now." As the other senators get jealous.

Crazy, I know.

David Grouchy
edit on 16-5-2011 by davidgrouchy because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 09:41 PM
link   
An update on tests done on the water fountain at the school in today. Positive for Imazapyr thousands of times allowable limits. The school which had 8 kids with cancer out of 100 total.the school my kids went from k-8 at....
seed

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 10:11 PM
link   
SO so so silent here. This should be brought up in the coming presidential election. Of course ... it probably will be forgotten and overlooked like this thread.

My opinion, Ron Paul would have / might have a field day with this. He's got a slim to no chance of winning, that's why he brings up controversial stuff. He's crazy but then again this story is crazy.

Then again he might not. My opinion is just that, an opinion. Has no merit....

To the op and the residents of that area, keep fighting and stay say. I know it's easier said than done but ...

I need a stiff freking drink after reading this ...
edit on 16-5-2011 by anon102 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 12:12 AM
link   
This is just complete genocide of the people and the planet.

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 12:31 AM
link   
Alot of stars and flags but little replys.

Im speechless to be honest and dont know what to say.
edit on 17-5-2011 by michaelmcclen because: grammar

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join