It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Survival debate: which is better, the Assault or Hunting rifle???

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 02:29 PM
link   
If I am locked between the choice to bring one of my ARs or something with a bigger bore, I'll bring my shotgun.

Under normal circumstances I'll bring both. My AR in hand and my shotty strapped to my back. The AR is good for defense, but big game hunting is not it's strength. I can, however, take a deer or a bear down with a 12 ga. slug.

Every gun has it's purpose.
edit on 16-5-2011 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 03:08 PM
link   
reply to post by projectvxn

to be honest I'll probably try dragging a dozen guns out the door...
making just as many excuses as to why I have to have them all...
only to rethink my decision after a couple miles, when I'm out of breath and holding my back

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 03:29 PM
link   
reply to post by DaddyBare

Heheh...

Luckily I know for certain I can carry all of my gear several miles and across rugged terrain. I practice as much as I can out in these hills, mountains, and desert valleys of Nevada.

Practice makes perfect.

Whatever I couldn't take with me I would destroy if it meant keeping it out of the wrong hands.
edit on 16-5-2011 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 03:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by DaddyBare

only to rethink my decision after a couple miles, when I'm out of breath and holding my back

Unfortunately being in the UK and unless your a gangster or a serving member of the armed forces there are in fact...no calibre weapons. So when the shtf and I run out the door I will be taking my carving knife and my tool kit so I can sharpen a screwdriver to a fine edge over a period of hours on the side of a house. If I have a bit more time I might take my crowbar from the shed for its multi-purpose use and up close defensive capabilities ala world war Z. In fact thinking about it I may buy an extra spade and put an edge on it but there will be definately no guns because its crap here in the UK.
I envy you americans, choosing your weapons as you leave the house...

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 07:32 AM
link   
The rifle I use for anything bigger than a raccoon is my Marlin 336 30-30. I can do anything I need to with this rifle in Arizona. Between the 336 and my 10/22 I can get any job done efficiently.

One key to remember is in a SHTF scenario (assuming your not alone) is that, although I will carry one rifle and one handgun most likely I am in a group of 10 people (if everyone shows up) and they all will carry a weapon.

Make the best use of your group and arm & train them with enough variety in weapons so all bases are covered.

Although I would most likely be carrying my 30-30, there would also be .22's in the group along with larger caliber rifles and shotguns.

I would vote for a hunting rifle to answer the question but shy away from the AR type as I personally don't care for them. I sold mine and kept the AK and an SKS.

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 08:03 AM
link   
I live in Arizona, so legalities aren't an issue. I've had my share of goodies like my old Saiga 12, Sks, Norinco Uzi, etc. but I'm getting more into scout rifles for their simplicity when it comes to improvising repairs. I like my brother's Mosin Nagant, so I might get one of those soon if I can't find a .308 Enfield with a decent bore. A simple shotgun wouldn't be a bad choice either, with slugs and bird shot widely available whats not to like.
edit on 17-5-2011 by nortefunk14 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 10:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by markygee

Unfortunately being in the UK and unless your a gangster or a serving member of the armed forces there are in fact...no calibre weapons. So when the shtf and I run out the door I will be taking my carving knife and my tool kit so I can sharpen a screwdriver to a fine edge over a period of hours on the side of a house. If I have a bit more time I might take my crowbar from the shed for its multi-purpose use and up close defensive capabilities ala world war Z. In fact thinking about it I may buy an extra spade and put an edge on it but there will be definately no guns because its crap here in the UK.

you could always run down to the boozer & grab the Winchester lever action that's hanging over the bar

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 12:31 PM
link   

reply to post by spoonbender

Colt came out with the SP901....
It's an AR style, chambered in .308... the design lets it easily swap upper's to change it into a 5.56
Not sure the Army will go with the better 6mm but I have the feeling they might just go with the multi round capability... they have a very long standing relationship's with Colt after all

They are not interchangable Daddybare. they will fit on the lowers, but the mags dont interchange from 308 to 223/556 nato

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 12:45 PM
link   
Daddybare, I like this thread because it brings up several honest questions amongst the "shooters" of the world.

I like the 223/556 for a variety of game animals including game as big as mule deer. I personally own two, STAG M4 model 2 and typically shoot 2 CQB courses a month.

I have long ago sold my bolt action hunting rifles except for my Rem700 in 308.

I think a 223. is bit on the heavy side for a rabbit and bit on the light side for a mule deer, but the caliber can take both animals down on a single shot.

What I like about the 223 is that you can carry more ammo pound per pound than any other military style firearm.
Also take into considertion that you can take just about any part from the M4 style rifles and interchange with the a like rifle from a different manufacture.

The bolt action will always win out in the reliabilty part of this argument, but if a true SHTF scenario come about and you have say 7 people that need to be taken down, are you really going to go the gun bag and grab a bolt action rifle with 5 shots as opposed to an M4 with up to 30 rounds?

I personally take the M4 knowing that my odds are much better without having to work the action or worry about reloading. Not to mention that 556 loaded with 68g of lead is going to put people down at 300 yds. i know this because I have taken countless coyotes at that range with the 223 and they are a thick skinned critter. I doubt a 2 legged critter is going to get far with a center mast shot at 300 yds.

My argument concludes with the fact that during WWI and to some extent WWII, those with bolt action rifles were always on the losing side of the battle when they went up against the semi autos of the world. Germany against the Americans in WWI and several EURO countries when the wnet up against the Nazi war machine.

I love your threads Daddybare...keep em coming

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 03:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by spoonbender

Originally posted by markygee

you could always run down to the boozer & grab the Winchester lever action that's hanging over the bar

seen it, it's a fake!

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 09:18 PM
link   
Well, for me it's a tough choice. The assault rifle is great when engaging multiple enemies/game at fairly close range, and the hunting rifle is better suited to longer individual shots. Also, just like a revolver vs. auto loader pistol, the hunting rifle (thinking bolt action here) should be much more dependable in times of survival. Personally if it was a shtf situation, I wouldn't try to take on multiple enemies by myself and therefore wouldn't want the assault rifle. And in a normal lost in the woods type scenarios, there aren't "multiple enemies" just potential food, and the accuracy and dependability of the hunting rifle would be much preferred. Dunno, I have both so will probably find out some day. Just mu $.02.

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 10:17 AM
link   
reply to post by saoirse95

The reality of how guns are made today, most people even with advanced firearm traing CAN NOT out shoot their firearm.

What I mean by that, is that the firearm will always have more abilty for accuracy than the the person shooting said firearm.

My AR will hold 1" at 250yds on a 5 shot group.

For you number crunchers out there, i know you will come back and say your bolt action will do a 1/4. talk to me about 3/4 at 250yds on anything moving regardless of food value or protection value? There is no difference. Ac enter mast shot is acenter mast shot and 3/4 of an inch means nothing

Your 308 may have more knock down power, but there wont be many 300 yd shots happening where I am at. Unless you live on the open planes, a 300 yd shot is unrealistic.

Go with the AR style weapons that have the abilty to hold 30 rds that are deadly out to 300yds, not to mention that the military uses that gun and not a bolt action, as well as many of us here are already on the AR tip...it just makes sense to me.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join