It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Just a Question.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 08:50 AM
link   
Ok first post but here goes.

So have been reading this site for a while now i have noticed something interesting.
We have Mayan calendar ending 2012 threads.
We have Greenland with sunrise 2 days early threads.

My question is, If you knew the span of sunlight and moon light was going to vary 1000 years or 3000 years from now would you keep making the calendar or would you wait until it changes and settles and then recalculate it based on a period of observation?

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 09:14 AM
link   

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 09:19 AM
link   
Good logical question but im going with the lets just get drunk to! I think you are right though if there is a way to recalculate the calander by all means if it right do it!

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 09:25 AM
link   

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 09:37 AM
link   
You may be onto something there. I can see that if the Mayan Calander authors foresaw an event in which another celestrial body would enter the solar system that they may not be able to calculate just what the solar would look like afterwards, and so ended the calander at that point.

If that's the case, then I'd go with the beer and a shot of jack.

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 09:40 AM
link   
Obviously the Mayans were very advanced.

The problem is understanding the significance of this change.

Is it cyclical ?

Is it a warning ?

I have a feeling we are about to find out.

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 10:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by Legion2024

So have been reading this site for a while now i have noticed something interesting.

My question is, If you knew the span of sunlight and moon light was going to vary 1000 years or 3000 years from now would you keep making the calendar or would you wait until it changes and settles and then recalculate it based on a period of observation?

It's a very valid point. However, they seemed to be able to compensate (mathematically) for a long period.

I have always thought that these ancient cultures spent a great deal of time and effort observing the constants of the universe they perceived around them. In many cases they invent allegorical myths and tales to protect the knowledge from becoming utterly lost in time (no pun intended.)

In the case of the changes we see now, it appears unbelievable that those things we are only now 'discovering' about the universe seemed to be relatively 'old news' to the ancients.

Chances are they knew something we either lost or refuse to accept.

The Cosmos is a dynamic and event-filled phenomenon, which form our perspective, seems impossibly complicated and impossible for any single human to comprehend in it's totality. But many older cultures refute that and insist that 'enlightenment' is a goal which humankind can aspire to.

I think, lacking new science, we have along way to go.

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 11:04 AM
link   
the mayan calendar is just a RESET meaning it will be a NEW ERA
it's not the end of the world

"The Solstice on December 21, 2012—precisely at 11:11 AM Universal Time—marks the completion of the 5,125 year Great Cycle of the Ancient Maya Long Count Calendar."

edit on 16-5-2011 by simonsayz because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 11:20 AM
link   
Im with you on that one for sure!

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 04:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Maxmars

Originally posted by Legion2024

It's a very valid point. However, they seemed to be able to compensate (mathematically) for a long period.

I have always thought that these ancient cultures spent a great deal of time and effort observing the constants of the universe they perceived around them. In many cases they invent allegorical myths and tales to protect the knowledge from becoming utterly lost in time (no pun intended.)

In the case of the changes we see now, it appears unbelievable that those things we are only now 'discovering' about the universe seemed to be relatively 'old news' to the ancients.

Chances are they knew something we either lost or refuse to accept.

The Cosmos is a dynamic and event-filled phenomenon, which form our perspective, seems impossibly complicated and impossible for any single human to comprehend in it's totality. But many older cultures refute that and insist that 'enlightenment' is a goal which humankind can aspire to.

I think, lacking new science, we have along way to go.

Well that's what i thought, From all the reading i have done the Mayans liked to be precise, and as you said great observers. and maybe that the events in our solar system have come around again and because of planet tilt "something they might have observed beforehand" they deemed the data to be varying to much to continue measuring the span of day light and twilight increments, and did not know exactly how the seasons and days would be after the shift.

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 04:34 PM
link   
The Japan earthquake did change the Earth rotation slightly.
Perhaps milliseconds.
So nothing Earth shaking as Velikovsky found out happened years ago.
A cosmic event happened between the start and end of Danial's Exile
according to Velikovsky as Danial stated that the calendar had changed
which meant a big Earth movement.

This last big event Velikovsky determined to be -600AD.
So we have had one big sweet time since then.

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 04:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Legion2024

Can't say much about the Mayan but they might have been mentioned by Velikovsky.
Nothing to do with quitting the calendar at 2012 however.
If Velikovsky did write about Mayans or some South American peoples offering
sacrifice to ward off Venus. This would be at the time of Exodus when for years
latter Venus came close to the earth and struck great fear in their people.
Well thats what I recall and is some story.
Venus slowly went into a non fearful orbit and perhaps the excitement went and
the whole calender became old hat with no human sacrifices.

Think about it. We had a movie about men might be sacrifice in blowing up a
asteroid about to collide with Earth. So same old same old.

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 05:17 PM
link   
reply to post by TeslaandLyne

So it goes to what I'm saying, had they experienced a shift caused by events, and did observe that the spans of "time" do change and deemed it not logical to keep calculating due to uncertain data change on how events would unfold a few thousand years later.

Sorry guys i just find this topic fascinating.

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 03:59 PM
link   
Not that I can say for sure but the Mayans may have been tracking Venus because
their life depended on knowing its path and offered sacrifices to ward it off.
Perhaps their calculations were a bit too hasty as the comet now planet settled down
into a closer orbit to the Sun.
The Earth was wreaked and overturned and in darkness for 40 years like the people
roaming in the Sinai.
I figure tracking the revolutions of Venus would have been the Mayans main concern.
So Venus settled in way before 2012 as the Mayans were gone before 1492 perhaps.
ED: The calendar had to be recalculated by observation after Exodus and at the end
of the Exile.
edit on 5/17/2011 by TeslaandLyne because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join