It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

News From Greenpeace About Nuke Plant And Reactor Meltdown

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 06:04 AM
link   
Hi! I'm just going to post this from Greeneace and would ask that all of you who care about the planet, write to the banks who are supporting these nuke reactor plants!!

Here are the latest messages from Greenpeace:

Exactly two months ago an earthquake and tsunami hit Japan. Together, they not only resulted in a huge natural disaster, but also triggered an unprecedented man made tragedy.

The Fukushima nuclear power plant is still out of control, threatening thousands of people's health and livelihoods. If making mistakes with nuclear energy is bad enough - not learning from those mistakes is indefensible. Help us encourage banks like BNP Paribas and HSBC to learn the lessons of Fukushima and invest in safe, sustainable energy by writing to the boards of these international banks and asking them to help us stop a very risky and unnecessary nuclear project in India.

Visit our website to send your email now

The proposed plant in Jaitapur, India looks set to repeat the same careless and shortsighted mistakes that turned a catastrophic natural disaster in Japan into a Chernobyl-scale nuclear disaster for the entire planet.

The Indian Environment Minister has admitted that the government's current nuclear plans for a massive coastal nuclear power plant do not cover the possible event of a tsunami. What's more, the proposed site is located in an area of high seismic activity and fragile local ecology. The stage seems set for yet another potentially disastrous nuclear catastrophe.

Such ill-conceived plans are very expensive, and require financial backing from major banks like BNP Paribas and HSBC. At a time when investment in clean, renewable energy is desperately needed to save our planet, these banks choose to maintain the destructive status-quo by continuing to invest heavily in nuclear power.

But, you can encourage them to change. Against the backdrop of a two-month old Fukushima disaster, May 11 also marks the Annual General Meeting of BNP Paribas and HSBC’s Strategy Day. Ensure the boards of these banks receive plenty of warning about nuclear funding on this day by putting your concerns in writing.

Click here to send them an email

Kind regards

From Buenos Aires to Bombay, tens of thousands of concerned individuals used telephones, emails, demonstrations and even fax machines to demand that these banks learn the lessons of Fukushima and withdraw their funding from dangerous and ill-conceived nuclear projects like that proposed in Jaitapur, India.

To everyone who participated: Your actions have made it impossible for the boards of these banks to ignore the massive global opposition to continued nuclear expansion. Thank you!

The relevance and importance of our campaign continues to be confirmed almost daily by increasingly disastrous news from Japan. As reports today confirm that fuel in Fukushima's reactor one has melted and the situation continues to slip further and further out of control, the folly of proposals to build plants like Jaitapur becomes evermore starkly obvious.

Yet, despite the currently unfolding and constantly worsening nuclear crisis in Japan, banks such as BNP Paribas and HSBC still consider puting billions dollars/Euros required to fund such risky nuclear projects in geologically unstable areas.

It is more important than ever that we call on banks to lead our planet into a future of secure, sustainable and clean energy by withdrawing funding for demonstrably dangerous nuclear and providing desperately needed investment in safe, clean, renewable energy.

If you haven't already let the banks know that you want them to stop funding dangerous nuclear projects and take the lead towards a safe, sustainable energy future, you still can.

Ok, i thought it best to just paste and copy the entire messages from Greeneace instead of puting a link here.... hope that's alright with the MODS as it is important stuff!! I, myself had sort of got on with my life and had near enough forgot all about this disaster until i read my mailbox today so please add your support ad message the banks!!

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 10:28 AM
link   
I think that people who finance, contract and build these and other dangerous plants- and the stockholders- should have to live within a kilometer of them. All of them. With their families.

Same with coal plants, dioxin emitting trash burners, frack fields and oil / gas refineries.

Unfortunately, from what I have seen, these things are always placed in a poor or poor/rural areas where the people are less likely to be educated to the dangers and less able to make changes because of the base poverty.

This tells me that those in charge:

a. really hate people.
b. are cretinous greedheads.
c. are doomed to go directly to hell.

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 11:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by TruthxIsxInxThexMist
Hi! I'm just going to post this from Greeneace and would ask that all of you who care about the planet, write to the banks who are supporting these nuke reactor plants!!
I have a better idea.

I think our letters to banks will pretty much be ignored. What they care about is the bottom line so that's where we have to hit them.

And the way to do that is to change the economics of nuclear power to build in the true cost.

The power companies claim they can't get insurance on nuclear power plants to cover their liability in the event of a disaster. Either this is code for "it would be too expensive", or else they really can't get it, in which case it needs to be issued by the governments like some flood insurance is in the USA. The taxpayers are going to end up footing the bill for the disaster one way or another, because homeowners insurance policies don't cover nuclear disaster. And it's obvious the Japanese government isn't making TEPCO take the full financial responsibility, probably because they couldn't even afford it if they wanted to take the responsibility.

So here's my alternative: write to legislators instead of banks. Tell the legislators we want the power companies to have full liability insurance coverage in the event of a nuclear disaster, meaning they need to pay victims compensation related to relocation, securing a similar residence of similar value in a radiation-free zone, payment of medical bills for the radiation-related medical expenses in a disaster, etc. And if they can't get the insurance from private insurers it needs to be provided by the government, which is going to foot the bill anyway, and it needs to be priced the same way private insurers would price it if they offered it, meaning it will be expensive.

This will effectively price in the disaster liability, which I think will make the nuclear plants uneconomical.

Once you do this, the banks won't want to invest in it, so you won't have to plead with them not to.

Do you think this approach might get better results?

Note this still doesn't price in disposal of the nuclear waste, and it appears that some of the spent fuel rods at Fukushima are what exploded at reactor 3, and nobody has figured out how to dispose of the waste yet as far as I know. So we really need to price in the waste disposal also, but since we don't even know how to dispose of the waste, how do we factor that cost in? Again we should probably pick an arbitrarily high number, such as the cost of what it would take to put it on a rocket into the sun. That's prohibitively expensive, but if we figure out a cheaper, safe alternative then that will be a cost savings. In the meantime, we can't pretend waste disposal isn't a huge costly issue that can be factored out of nuclear plant economics. The real costs have to be factored in so the banks won't want to invest in them!

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 01:02 AM
link   
Fukushima was 40 year old plants of a type not built now because they are not up to modern standards.

Greenpeace has no data from the Fukushima plants other then what the public has.

It would not mater how safe a new plant was built to Greenpeace, There only statements have been no nuclear plants any where any time no matter how safe. (except soviet Russia, Greenpeace has never protested about nuclear power plants in the old soviet russia. or china.)

Greenpeace was a old soviet front organization.
www.noahide.com...
www.abovetopsecret.com...

What you have now is a bunch of old hippies using Greenpeace as a way not to have to get a regular job

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 01:14 AM
link   
Nuclear is the safest source of energy per TWh produced, even before renewables. We have coal Chernobyl every week, thats where Greenpeace should primarily aim their efforts...

nextbigfuture.com...

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 06:01 AM
link   
reply to post by ANNED

Come on man, this Organisation do their best for the majority of people who can't be bothered to protest and go about their everyday lives as if nothing is going on.... you think about it....

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 06:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Arbitrageur

Good idea.... maybe you should send it into 10 Downing Street or onto the News Corps... they can get the idea out.... some people may pick up on it and get to work on it....

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 08:01 AM
link   
reply to post by TruthxIsxInxThexMist

If this organisation is doing the best for the majority of people, why they protest against new advanced and very safe nuclear plants, why they dont push green nuclear such as liquid fluoride thorium reactors, instead of chasing the pipe dream of 21.st century highly industrialised spacefaring civilisation running on wind and very inneficient solar power plants? Why they dont protest so vehemently against all coal powerplants being build as they protest against new and safe nuclear ones?

It may be true that they have good intentions, but then they must uneducated or outright stupid to explain the above.

The real green alternative - advanced safe and efficient nuclear power:
bravenewclimate.com...
energyfromthorium.com...

edit on 17/5/11 by Maslo because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join