It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A bit of a disappointment for playstaion 3

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 03:10 AM
link   
Well guys as some people know that you could setup a cluster off ps3's and make a supper computer many people have done this like the us airforce well i was looking at www.ps3cluster.umassd.edu...

i found this information

Welcome To The PS3cluster Guide UPDATE: Unfortunately, this guide (from 2008) is a bit dated with the development of the firmware (3.21 or above) disable of the 'Other OS' install feature. As such, though you might find it interesting from a hacking perspective, we are afraid that this guide may no longer be useful to deploy clusters on current/updated PS3s. Thank you for your historical support of this project -- Gaurav and Chris. Our community guide allows you to set up your own MPI (Message Passing Interface) based supercomputer cluster with the Playstation 3. This guide was co-written by Gaurav Khanna, based on his previous work on the Gravity Grid and is a current run-time environment for the research of co-author (Chris Poulin), based on his current work in distributed pattern recognition. As such, we currently utilize the Fedora Core for this infrastructure and illustrate a "how-to" below. NOTE: We focus on the Fedora 8 distribution, due to prevalence of Fedora and its Cell SDK (3.0) compatibility. Finally, this content should be considered open source, and here is the license.

I done some more googling and found out why they disabled the feature

The next system software update for the PlayStation 3 (PS3) system will be released on April 1, 2010 (JST), and will disable the “Install Other OS” feature that was available on the PS3 systems prior to the current slimmer models, launched in September 2009. This feature enabled users to install an operating system, but due to security concerns, Sony Computer Entertainment will remove the functionality through the 3.21 system software update. In addition, disabling the “Other OS” feature will help ensure that PS3 owners will continue to have access to the broad range of gaming and entertainment content from SCE and its content partners on a more secure system. Consumers and organizations that currently use the “Other OS” feature can choose not to upgrade their PS3 systems, although the following features will no longer be available; Ability to sign in to PlayStation Network and use network features that require signing in to PlayStation Network, such as online features of PS3 games and chat Playback of PS3 software titles or Blu-ray Disc videos that require PS3 system software version 3.21 or later Playback of copyright-protected videos that are stored on a media server (when DTCP-IP is enabled under Settings) Use of new features and improvements that are available on PS3 system software 3.21 or later For those PS3 users who are currently using the “Other OS” feature but choose to install the system software update, to avoid data loss they first need to back-up any data stored within the hard drive partition used by the “Other OS,” as they will not be able to access that data following the update.

I think this sucks as i was going to build a 8 cluster setup
well there should be a way around this well im hoping there is.

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 04:01 AM
link   
Are they back online yet?
"i want my ps3!" To the tune of "i want my m.t.v."

I have no idea abot what your talking , lol, sorry

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 04:06 AM
link   
Are we ever going to be able to play again?!?

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 04:10 AM
link   
is there some kind of tech in the ps3 that you cant buy and build your own super computer? is it cheaper to use ps3s to make a super computer? im clueless of the benifits of using ps3clusters. so whats up with it?

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 04:14 AM
link   
reply to post by xmetalgear

Sony are total douche bags. Why create the "Other OS" option if they're just going to remove it later. The reason they removed it was because it opened a way for people to create custom firmware for the PS3. i.e. it would allow people to play burnt PS3 games on their PS3. I knew this would happen from the moment I was told you could install other operating systems on the PS3.

What someone needs to create is an "open source" gaming system, meaning when you purchase the system, it is REALLY your property, you have full control over it. You can install custom firmware and custom applications, making it a lot more flexible. Just think how much more flexible a cracked PSP is, I can read PDF's on it, I can even install emulators or download torrents on it. There is essentially nothing my PSP can't do, as long as someone makes the right software.

A normal PSP or PS3 is essentially a locked down piece of crap that only allows you to do exactly what they want you to do, nothing more. You don't really own it at all, Sony still has the most control over your system, and what you can do on it. That is a big reason why I prefer PC gaming, even the games can be tweaked on a PC, the graphics settings can be tweaked and even mods can be installed with little fuss.

Console systems are a thing of the past, they are slowly turning into full blown computers anyway, the only difference is the level of restriction placed on the system.

edit on 16-5-2011 by ChaoticOrder because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 04:19 AM
link   
reply to post by showintail

Mine was back online yesterday.

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 04:21 AM
link   
Well i was going to use the cluster off ps3's to run simulations and do some md5 hash cracking and some cracking of algorithms

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 04:31 AM
link   
As someone asked earlier, why does this matter?

These consoles are ancient now. When they hit retail they were already five years behind PCs.

This "supercomputer" nonsense was just a gimmick from the very beginning.

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 04:35 AM
link   
Reply to post by xmetalgear

why dont you save your money from buying ps3s and just build a supersomputer?

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 04:57 AM
link   
reply to post by DOUGH3914

I did a system update yesterday, and today I was able to FINALLY log in to the Playstation Network. You have to change your password. I deleted my credit card info, but fortunately they didn't have my real name! Thankfully I gave them fake name :-D

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 05:05 AM
link   
Good tread.

Can't you just cluster those old PS3's together, and avoid updating?
The cell microprocessor is really powerful if it's used right. Just look at the IBM Roadrunner with 12,960 IBM PowerXCell 8i and 6,480 AMD Opteron dual-core processors, that's not an ordinary PC.
I think people choose to cluster PS3 systems together, because it's far cheaper than building your own super system.

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 05:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by dunnojo
Good tread.

Can't you just cluster those old PS3's together, and avoid updating?
The cell microprocessor is really powerful if it's used right. Just look at the IBM Roadrunner with 12,960 IBM PowerXCell 8i and 6,480 AMD Opteron dual-core processors, that's not an ordinary PC.
I think people choose to cluster PS3 systems together, because it's far cheaper than building your own super system.

Thats my point its a lot more cheaper than going out buying heaps of computers and there smaller

(PhysOrg.com) -- About the 33rd largest supercomputer in the world right now is the US Air Force Research Laboratory's (AFRL) newest system, which has a core made of 1,760 Sony PlayStation 3 (PS3) consoles. In addition to its large capacity, the so-called "Condor Cluster" is capable of performing 500 trillion floating point operations per second (TFLOPS), making it the fastest interactive computer in the entire US Defense Department.

souce

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 05:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by thisguyrighthere

These consoles are ancient now. When they hit retail they were already five years behind PCs.

Not a gimmick. Building supercomputers from many off-the-shelf components running in parallel is a legitimate technique that gets real-world use.
edit on 16-5-2011 by john_bmth because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 05:23 AM
link   
Reply to post by xmetalgear

That project is 4 years old.

There was another article on CNET concerning a similar project that was also 4 years old.

That spam of time negates nearly all the perceived cost benefit of using the console. It also voids the "cutting edge graphics technology" statement that was never really true in the first place. On release the PS3 graphics were about on par with mid range PC graphics but already well behind upper teir PC graphic processing.

There's also the trickery of licensing that makes it appear that these machines cost less than their PC counterparts. If it weren't for licensing and corporate subsidies these consoles would have at their time of release been much more expensive.

The console marketing strategy has always been one of assuming massive losses from release to a determined install base size then recouping that loss through licensing and software sales over a period of time. Which is how we get the typical console "lifespan" of 5-7 years.

It's no fluke that the current gem consoles are in the longest lifespan of any consoles before them. They were too expensive at release and pushed too soon. Now the console "kiddies" are stuck with gimmicky crap like motion detection to keep then hooked until the companies meet their projections.

Same thing happened near the end of the 16-bit cycle. Got lots of gimmicky crap then too to extend the lifespan.

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 06:01 AM
link   
trollin for heat against sonys stance at piracy circumvention?

if you wanted to use cells in this fashion and could buy 8 ps3s could u not us vms in a series of cps or purchase unlocked cells to do what you want? since you sound serious, you do know that a core of the cell is locked? your best bet is to track down one of intels non initiated cell based servers.

if your not trollin i think after the whole sony hacking fiasco that your a selfish pretentious snob who thinks hes free to demand laissez-faire from companies but is free to do illegal acts/crimes within the society you live; the worst of the worst the lowest of the low, the proverbial worms in the bible.

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 06:19 AM
link   
reply to post by Ausar

No im not trolling im not using ps3 for evil when i mean md5 hash cracking i study computer security and we run simulations on ways how a hacker could get access to a md5 hash and crack it and so what not why did i look at ps3s
1. there cheap and easy to buy
2.Linux i can customised the os to my needs
3.when im not using the ps3s i would be gaming
i was just dissapointed when ps3 wont allow to install linux on its system as when ps2 was released thay had linux kit made for it same as ps3 yea it sucks how hackers did break into there system and stole there information but # happens

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 10:30 AM
link   
reply to post by xmetalgear

Maybe you could locate some of the earlier gen'd PS3's used that hadn't yet incorporated these firmware changes and/or been updated ?

Would it be possible to use a system image from an older system and restore/rebuild a system from that image ??

Just thinking about a few possibilities.

I bought my PS3 mainly for GT5...don't care much about the online gaming. The kids online tend cheat too much anyway....tapping you from the rear, just precisely enough to not incur any penalty....but right at the apex of a corner so you spin out....and/or lose control

The Sony Corporation style legalese is a bit of a turn off to me.
If you scroll through these "Agreements" in an attempt to remotely understand what in fact you are agreeing to....they're extremely lengthy...but I guess that that is the point.

As a flight simulator fan, I've built my own gaming/simulating systems overclocking CPU and video proc's and benchmark testing for performance for years now.

Bang for the buck , This cell processor used in the PS3 is impressive and exemplifies the benefits of parallel processing.

I have never seen nary a single hiccup video performance wise even when viewing a field of a dozen or more cars travelling at racing speeds.
6 cars all converging into the apex of a corner....no degradation or pixleation at all.

I am racing formula level cars and the speed is so realistic and fast at 180mph down the straight, that after a 10 lap race it's really exhausting !
Just as racing real cars are and why Drivers lose so much weight during a race.

All for an entire system that costs about what I paid for my Nvida 250GTS 1 Gb DDS3 Video card a year or two ago.

I am currently running Crysis 2 on my 3GHz Quad Core CPU, all air cooled PC on a 24" monitor with 1 GB video card and it graphically is slightly more impressive. Almost 3D in depth.
It's very impressive in realism....especially the NYC skyline and views.

Though the PS3 is a good value. Upon entering the Console market you are now subject to the rules of the PS3 paradigm with all of it's Corporate Bureaucracy or Corporatocracy.Legalese up the yin yang...

This is one of the primary reasons I will continue to use my PC for gaming ... for at least I feel as though I own it !

edit on 16-5-2011 by nh_ee because: typos and edits

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 10:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by thisguyrighthere

It was never nonsense, but of course was used for good marketing because it actually WAS an amazing engineering feat.

The processor was years ahead of it's time. The only thing that comes close these days in design is the AMD fusion processor, and it's quite slow in comparison.

No gimmick. The army has used supercomputer clusters off of sony products ever since the original playstation.

The FPU abilities of the PS3 are still in line with high end graphics cards TODAY!! That's insane for something that came out what...3-4 years ago?!

Also, for those concerned about the bios update...don't be. Get creative. People have been flashing bios's for gaming machines for about a decade now. I seriously doubt it's impossible to flash this one to open up all the same capabilities. I haven't been in the console hacking scene in a long time, but don't think it would just go away because of a mere firmware update. Deviate!!
edit on 16-5-2011 by unityemissions because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 10:27 PM
link   
reply to post by unityemissions

i know what you mean i havent been in the playstaion modding scene in years lol

top topics

join