It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stephen Hawking: 'There is no heaven; it's a fairy story'

page: 49
<< 46  47  48    50  51  52 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 04:00 AM
link   
reply to post by balanc3

"I had to get in on this again. This guy is just not a favorite of mine for many reasons..but with that said, I want to add this... "

I don't really know whom your talking about here (S. Hawking?) but this statement of yours clearly smacks of prejudice and depicts your bellicose mindset....

"To say that scientists do not believe is an assumption because there are those that do. Science has been trying to prove there is a God since it began. "

If one is to be shorn of prejudice then it would augur well if all possibilities are considered.Science unlike religion is not concerned with the 'beliefs' of men but with facts that are a tenable explanation for the occurrence of natural and universal phenomena. Science does not disregard the idea of a god existing but yet so far there has been absolutely no evidence that would insinuate the existence of such an entity. God unfortunately as an idea is a "reductio ad absurdum" and a logical fallacy. It is the ultimate manifestation of human prejudice there is. To state that science "has been trying" to prove the existence of god is a highly presumptuous claim with no backing whatsoever.If science attempts to purport such propaganda then it would cease to exist as a branch of study.

"Why would they put so much energy into something they know does not exist? Trying to find a "God Particle" by putting this huge machine deep into our Earth (home for now), sucking the planet dry of its life force (oil) and all the other things we are doing at the present time is not only messing with our home we call Earth but it is also going against what we do know. These people are not the ones I put my trust in for facts. The facts change because of cause and effect which is constantly changing as well. Everything and everyone is still in creation mode. We are all still evolving. "
"
This was just beautiful and depicts how human beings resort to selective interpretation of anything that they come across and this is only because of the overbearing bias that is encompassed by the human persona .Another thing that I find most intriguing is the absolute brazen display of ignorance and this relentless pursuit to advocate your ridiculous propaganda.

The LHC experiment at CERN is not an attempt to prove the existence of 'GOD' as you have put it but to find a reasonable explanation for certain fundamental questions that are concerned with physics especially the existence of virtual particles in a vacuum.Unfortunately the alternative term "god particle' used for the Higgs Boson is a tad bit misleading as it has nothing to do with the existence of god and is only a hypothetical particle that would supposedly resolve the various inconsistencies that exist in our understanding of contemporary physics. There are other models apart from the standard model that do not need the 'Higgs Boson" to necessarily exist.It would help if you were to do your research well before you jumped to inane conclusions.

"We, in my mind are nothing but the consciousness of the Energy force that moved within the cosmos and became self aware. It/he/she learns through us. We are all connected, however in each creation story we are told we are the Grand creation over all things, hence we create as we are in God and vice versa.

For someone to say that NDE are just brain stems losing the energy within the brain is just so silly with my understanding of them. Many people have been clinically dead only to be revived to come back with a heart beat to say what they experienced. Many with different beliefs only to have experienced the same thing.

The Universe with many Solar Systems are governed by laws just as everything else that is in creation form. Science states there are other dimensions which the eye cannot see. What lies within these dimensions?

We live in a very complex System and this system is something we have not all the answers for. The answers are based on our reality of what each particle is and how it operates. We are still trying to discover what is at the Core of the Earth. SO much we just do not know nor can we have exact proof until then. "

It might be true as to what we have considered as being fact until yesterday does not remain so tomorrow as our understanding of things continues to evolve. However it does not mean that we should not try and find a tenable explanation for the occurrence of natural phenomena(which is complex) as resorting to a belief in god is merely a meek attempt to reconcile with our meager understanding of things. It would be akin to moving back to the dark ages.
edit on 20-6-2011 by Leonardo01 because: grammar

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 03:15 AM
link   
Obviously Stephen Hawkins knows more than
Me, he knows more than most of us combined but even he at some point must look at all the things he is trying to explain and ask how is it any of it (including his quantum fluctuations) are here at all. Theoretically there should be nothing here at all but there is. Our purpose on earth is to observe, but why? If all the universe was here and not one thing to observe it it would still be, but what use would light be if there were nothing at all that required it?

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 04:55 AM
link   
I would also like to point out to Mr. Hawkings that an Idea is not formed out of nothing. There is always a basis for an Idea. This also correlates with Newtons law that it takes an action for a reaction to occur.

What Mr. Hawkings seems to do is replace God .. with Aliens.
edit on 04/30/2011 by milkyway12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 03:57 AM
link   
reply to post by milkyway12

Well, if god is an otherwordly(biblical heaven) being, then the "aliens" claim is just a matter of semantics.

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 04:01 AM
link   
reply to post by spacedonk

I don't care about his personal opinions, if he was so ruddy smart, he would have dedicated his life to saving himself, eg: finding a cure for motor nuerons disease but instead he comes out with tid bits that a) cannot be proven and b) tainted by his own personal issues.

he is one angry man. peed off because he has a disease that he himself can't fix.

I respect him as a scientist but personal opinions don't mean too much to me.

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 09:19 AM
link   
well..

if i was in a wheel chair and couldnt talk properly...id kinda assume there was no heaven/god as well...

not saying i believe in it-....but Dr. Hawking does not know either...

i wonder if he ever tryed things like astral projection tho....

posted on Jan, 18 2014 @ 06:57 AM
link   

Just like Galileo, (who said that space and time were seperate from matter and could exist without it) was proven wrong by Einstein with the theory of relatively, Stephen Hawking is not the final word on an afterlife. You cannot prove there is an afterlife but you cannot disprove it either. With the ability to teleport an atom now proven, it opens up the possibility that parallel universes may be real. I believe an afterlife could exist in a parallel universe.

posted on Jan, 18 2014 @ 07:44 AM
link   
MASSIVE, Unprecedented Biblical Discovery Shakes Up Science! MUST-SEE

MASSIVE BIBLICAL DISCOVERY MADE BY AMERICAN -- that biblical images are etched in the earth's crust - now revealed by sonar imaging. Subsequently, before the prophets wrote it on paper, God wrote it in the earth! This video will show you how the earth itself is an archaeological mosaic.

SHARE ON FACEBOOK - TWITTER - YOUTUBE
DOWNLOAD/UPLOAD TO YOUR OWN CHANNELS/SITES

*Protected under Fair Use Act 1976. For educational and review purposes.*

edit on 18-1-2014 by Izzazzo because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2014 @ 05:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Izzazzo

That was unexpected and New. New views are always hard to swallow when one have been indoctrinated to beleive in a different Version.

But i liked it and will keep it in mind.

posted on Jan, 18 2014 @ 05:57 PM
link   

Izzazzo

MASSIVE BIBLICAL DISCOVERY MADE BY AMERICAN -- that biblical images are etched in the earth's crust - now revealed by sonar imaging. Subsequently, before the prophets wrote it on paper, God wrote it in the earth! This video will show you how the earth itself is an archaeological mosaic.

ty bunp for later

posted on Jan, 18 2014 @ 06:15 PM
link   

First Man - There is No God !

Second Man - Yes There Is A God !

First Man - No There Isn't !

Second Man - Yes There Is !

Third Man - Jesus , How Did You Guys Start All This ? "

Unknown Voice - in The Beginning there was The Word , And The Word was God.........

posted on Jan, 18 2014 @ 06:24 PM
link   

Izzazzo

watched a good ten minutes of the video, there is some interesting stuff, thanks for posting.

I'm interested to see what other members opinions are. I'm afraid it's going to get severely picked apart and written of as an epic case of stretching and pareidolia.
edit on 18-1-2014 by GoShredAK because: watched some of video

posted on Jan, 18 2014 @ 06:42 PM
link   
Hawking knows as much about religion as the Archbishop of Canterbury knows about CERN.

That goes for a lot of other people too. If you wouldn't ask the Archbishop of Canterbury about CERN why would you ask Stephen Hawking about religion?

He has an opinion based on just about zero real experience of religion. He's like Dawkins and Christopher Hitchens, just another know nothing with a big mouth.

People might say, well he's human, he is qualified to talk about the subject. Yes, just as qualified as the average couch potato is to talk about the NFL.

I have no problem with the guy expressing his opinions, but the idea that big spiritual questions have been decided by an unrelated discipline that can't cure the common cold is laughable.
edit on 18-1-2014 by ipsedixit because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2014 @ 06:52 PM
link   

Hawking is overrated. Anyone who is considered a genius (like Hawking) but cannot effectively excel us into a type 1 civilization is, technically, obsolete.

IMHO, Nicolas Tesla was one of the few that nearly accomplished this. Unfortunately TPTB made sure that didnt happen.

Therefore, I cannot take anything Hawking says with confidence.

Sorry

posted on Jan, 18 2014 @ 06:53 PM
link   

Who made this robot man arbiter of what is and isn't real.

I am really sick of hearing him every few years come out and say "theres no God", theres "no heaven".

This guy literally has no intellectual humility. He's speaking as a human being living in the early part of the 21st century - from the perspective of early 21st century scientific understanding. How the hell does he know - or even have the belief to think he's capable of commenting upon - what we still don't even have the capacity to figure out?

Stephen Hawking is conscious of his mortality, understands his death is right around the corner, and this round of comments about Gods non-existence (intrinsically unprovable), heavens non-existence, and who knows what else, is obviously to buttress his ego.

I don't think its that surprising. This man is confined to a chair all day. He doesn't have the luxury of moving his limbs, speaking with own voice - i.e. living a normal life where energy is expended in normal ways. Being stuck to that chair has got him thinking alot, and this thinking he must be always doing has left with a surety in his position that is simply unjustified.

posted on Jan, 18 2014 @ 07:17 PM
link   
reply to post by space cadet

a surgeon is no different than a mechanic, he has been trained to be master of his skills. There is nothing divine about it just plain trained knowledge and skills.

posted on Jan, 18 2014 @ 07:21 PM
link   
Do dolphins have an after-life? Cats? Birds? Kangaroos? Worms? Flies? Snakes? Did you know there're an estimated 1 to 10 quadrillion ants on earth? There're trillions of cells in our gut. The combined sum of all human cells on earth is roughly equivalent to the number of ant cells. There're as many stars in the observable universe as there're grains of sand on beaches on over 26,000 earths. I don't want to even guess how many planets and dwarf planets and comets and rogue planets and moons are in our galaxy, let alone in our observable universe.

If those other animals don't have it then we probably don't either.

I think the closest thing we have to eternity are the physical processes that dominate our world and our body and mind. These processes can be repeated here and everywhere I'm sure. So if I die then I can die knowing the processes that produced me can produce me again, somewhere, sometime.

Someone in this forum - i forge their name - compared us to a single beam of light which strikes a prism and splits into countless colors. We're each like those many different colors. The processes which underlie our being are like the single beam of light breaking into many. All of this can be repeated somewhere, sometime.
edit on 18-1-2014 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2014 @ 07:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Astrocyte

The existence of Stephen Hawking is enough proof that the biblical 'God" does not exist, Here is a man stricken by a human disease, who have still managed to overcome his disability just by sheer will and human ingenuity to become one of the greatest thinker and scientist of all time. His achievement is living proof that human being can achieve anything they desire, without the need to belief of any deity. If a "GOD" exists, it certainly is not dependent on our belief, love, knowledge or understanding of it. Clearly if you choose to believe or not believe is neither hear or there, so if it is not necessary to belief any GOD to have a fulfilled life then why bother?? or try to argue or condemn anyone that does not believe.

posted on Jan, 18 2014 @ 07:52 PM
link   
Just another reason hawking is an idiot.

I recently heard him say on some sci channel that he believes in spontaneous generation, something that has been outdated for over 100 years.

I dislike his ignorance intensely.

Idiot.

posted on Jan, 18 2014 @ 08:42 PM
link   
www.goodreads.com...

“I regard consciousness as fundamental. I regard matter as derivative from consciousness. We cannot get behind consciousness. Everything that we talk about, everything that we regard as existing, postulates consciousness.”
― Max Planck

Maybe heaven is "consciousness of heaven".

new topics

top topics

<< 46  47  48    50  51  52 >>

join